Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2023, 09:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New batt monitor for my 2017 Era 70X

Hi, Just installed the renogy batt monitor as I was changing the coach Batts after 5 yr use.... I put 2 duralast AGM group 31 Batts in a 2017 era 70x.... several questions...

1. What do you think the Ah rating of these Batts are ? Prob >:100aH but < 140 I figure....? So I programmed the monitor for 120x2 =240 amp hour as capacity.... ?!?

What the best setting?

2.i also didn't know exactly how to program the min n max voltage alarm set points.....

3. The minimum alarm set points for aH left n %left is something I ll play with in the future....

Help, tnx
James R
2017 era 70x
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230730_201927.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	203.5 KB
ID:	186816  
Jjrho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 09:54 PM   #2
Site Team

We have no idea what batteries you installed. I would guess that most 12v Group 31 batteries are 100 amp hour each.

There are a few 105 aH group 31s and a very expensive unique version with 125ah. But not very likely or common.

But you should know what you installed and what the amp hours are. You tell us…what are they?
Old 07-30-2023, 10:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Uh....I posted that they are duralast AGM group 31 ...autozone..... so, ok...I didn't realize that most Batts are 100 amp hour capacity.... cool. .. the batt itself does not say what the AH rating is. Just tells CCA , etc....
Old 07-30-2023, 10:31 PM   #4
Site Team

There are many different 12v Duralast AGM batteries for sale. That’s what I mean… we don’t know what you bought? Did you buy a deep cycle battery?

Also, most Group 31 batteries are 100ah but that is not a hard and fast rule. It’s very common but not something you can just assume. Some are 95ah and some 105ah. I would not expect you to have 240ah with Duralast batteries from Autozone.

If you bought the Duralast AGM 31M-AGM model battery they are dual purpose Marine/RV batteries and 100ah each. But we don’t know if that’s the battery you bought.
Old 07-30-2023, 11:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

31 agm

Yup , that's the one I bought... most common deep cycle one....ok... so they are 100ah....I see.. why do they not convey that info ?

Am I correct that that's the total current capacity of that battery? So most batt have similar amounts of total current capacity?

As to the renogy batt monitor, what should i program the settings at ? Max n min. Voltage alarm setting...

I guess I don't understand the relationship between voltage n remaining current capacity...

Tnx for your replies...
Old 07-31-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjrho View Post
Yup , that's the one I bought...
Had you stated that before then the answer would have been easy to provide. Because that information is readily available with an internet search.

Lead acid batteries have a cycle life based on how much you discharge them. When you take them below ~50% SOC (state of charge) you begin to shorten their life. Using only a 30% DoD (depth of discharge), leaving 70% SOC in the battery, makes them last hundreds of use/charge cycles more than routinely using 70% or more of the available amps.

So, this is up to you. The common thinking is that using about 50% of your battery’s available amperage is an acceptable trade off between good usage and good battery life.

A simple Google search will get you all this info including a voltage to state of charge chart to help you decide what settings you wish to make in your battery monitor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	186817  
Old 07-31-2023, 10:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok...Dore that above apply to AGM Batts too ?

Bte, this is what I got from renogy support...

I tried checking several websites for the charging parameters of your Duralast AGM group 31 battery. Unfortunately, I am unable to find what we need for your Renogy Battery Monitor.

We recommend contacting the manufacturer to get the following information:

Battery capacity
Float voltage
Low Voltage
Attenuation ratio (if they have)
Please respond to this email once you are able to confirm the following parameters, and let us set up a scheduled call back in order for us to assist you with the parameter settings of your monitor.
Case Number: 00643296

This is with them knowing the exact batt that I got...

What do you say ?
Old 07-31-2023, 11:24 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
What do you say ?
No doubt, if you turned to Google to ask questions that are easy to find about your batteries, that you could answer all these questions for yourself.

Is there some reason you don't do that? You can't keep asking us to find everything for you. There is tons of info online everywhere. How do you think we are finding your answers? We're doing simple searches.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Ok...Dore that above apply to AGM Batts too ?
Absolutely, all of it... and see the "Sealed Lead Acid Battery" header on the chart? That's what an AGM battery is.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

yes, i did google re: capacity but not a single thing i saw re: amp Hour rating of the mentioned battery... even the renogy tech support guy was searching with me... to no avail.

i thought that may be some of you guys may have had experienced these issues that are specific to the era 70x or winnebego products , hence my penchant for posting for help here...

so "sealed lead acid battery" all have similar charactertistics in terms of voltage and capacity %, regardless of whether it's agm, gel, etc... Good to know, thanks.

james R
'17 Era 70x