Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2023, 08:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Non-Winnebago Transfer Switch Question

Hi Morich - I have the exact setup you describe in this 2-year old thread: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ch-359336.html but the outlet box is currently open with all wires disconnected. There are basically three sets of 3-wire cables, one 3-wire cable for shore power cord, one 3-wire cable for generator feed and a final 3-wire cable that goes to coach elec panel. The image you shared show outside of outlet box for this setup but I am looking for how wires are connected on inside of box for receptacle. Hoping you have something you can share? Many thanks in advance.
rb_wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:00 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

First lets make sure we are on the same page! One biggie for electrical is that it's better to ask questions first, not after!
so to be more sure of what we have, tell us which year modle and floorplan of RV you have as that lets us go to the correct drawings as they are filed online.
Something like 2019 Vista 31KE or such?
Then we can get into different terms when speaking of boxes.
Big box for transfer switch or small 4X4 box for simple connections?
If you have one box with cords from genset, shore power and one going to the load center, that sounds more like an automatic transfer switch, so I want to make sure where you need to go before giving you dangerous directions. We only get one chance on some of this stuff!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 10:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for helping!

I have a 2019 FR Sunseeker, 2850. I have one 4x4 box with 3-prong 30amp receptacle in back outside storage compartment. I have search for online wiring schematics countless times without much luck.

My shore power 3-wire cord goes into box. The onboard Onan genny 3-wire cord goes into box. The load center 3-wire cord comes out of box to load center. When I say 3-wire I mean hot, neutral and ground.

For shore power, I plug shore power cord to campground pedestal. When I run the genny, I have to plug the shore power cord into 30amp receptacle to get genny to power load center. This was all original OEM.

A "buddy" disconnected all the wires when I needed to replace 30amp shore cord and then left me hanging! I have the new shore power cord and am trying to rewire to OEM setup. This gives me the "manual" transfer described earlier in thread. I unplug shore power cord from campground pedestal and plug into 30amp receptacle in 4x4 box to get power from genny.

A BIG THANKS for any assistance you can offer.
Old 08-24-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Okay, no problem! I get so used to doing only the Winebago group from drawings that I'm almost addicted!
But the ide is going to be the same, just that I tend to be careful! Buddies can be good OR they can lead us out into deep water and strand us??

Let me do a little looking thinking as you have near but slightly different if all three go into one box.
Be back as soon as I get something drawn up?
Old 08-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

For fire and cord saftey reasons, you can't downsize a cord with a NEMA 30 amp plug on it to less than 10 AWG , 10 AWG is the minimum size required. This is likely the OEM size Winnebago used.

If you went with a smaller gauge It will overheat and worst case scenarios the cord may lose integrity AKA become so hot the insulation fails and becomes a shock hazard or cause burns if cord is handled or cause a fire.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Whoops? After the first couple postings and writing up a pretty long post, I now get that the post is too old and I find this new post? Is there any way I can transfer the post I have written on the original post to get it on this post?

Let's see if cut and paste will work for this much info!?

Okay, Got a plan!
First verify that the outlet you have in hand is the correct one as aproved for RV, not one for a drier! Often confused so best to check as easy move.

Click this snip for better view!
Attachment 187069
Make it has the rounded hole, not the EL shaped hole and also the RV cord has this shape to match!
That assures nobody can plug the Rv into a 240 Volt drier outlet!

I would wire from the generator to the outlet as a stand alone operation and then the shore power cord to load center as a different operation.

Which operation first is your choice!

Wire the ground (bare wire? ) to the center and white neutral to pin marked neutral on back of outlet, with hot (black?) conductor to the last pin.
This sets the onboard outlet to act the same as any shore power connection you find.

Then connect the shore power cord wires to the load center wires, color to color.
This lets the power all work when you are plugging into shore power, it just passes through this box. When you plug into the outlet on the box, it does the same except comes from the generator instead of shore power!

There "may" be times when the colors are not black and white but possibly black and red, so get the black in the right place and the rest on the remaining points!
Some can depend if somebody has changed things in funny ways!

I might also do it a bit different than what you currently have. That is a lot of stiff wire to work in one box and get an outlet mounted on top, so I might look at using the outlet in a seperate box. Depends on space and lots of choices you may want to make but I don't like to try to cram too much into one box if I have room for a second box!

And that also means which connections you do first or second is based more on what you see and want to do, rather than actual need!
Basic idea is the power cord needs to connect directly to the wires going to the load center as one operation.
The outlet needs to be connected directly to the generator output.

When you get done the Rv acts like a big table lamp and you can plug it into the shore power or the generator outlet??
Old 08-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Wow, this makes so much sense now that you have explained it. I feel like, Duh... Thank you so much for the assist, truly appreciated. Sorry to trespass on the Winnebago forum (an admin admonished me in separate message). Happy trails!
Old 08-24-2023, 01:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'll assume he left no marks on your backside!!
We gotta take those risks at times!
Carry on and enjoy the RV!
Old 08-24-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb_wingman View Post
Sorry to trespass on the Winnebago forum (an admin admonished me in separate message). Happy trails!
Sorry you felt admonished - Here's what I said:

Quote:
In general, we only deal in Winnebago help and support.
Certainly wasn't an admonishment, nor meant as one.

Are you aware of the Forest River Owner's Forum? Here's a link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/

Hope this helps.