Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-01-2024, 11:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Onan Generator Armature Corrosion?

My Cummins Onan 4KY-26100R serial number 1180408049 generator on my 2019 Winnebago Spirit 22M seemed to work great until it would not start. After spending over $1,500 to repair it including replacing carburetor & wiring harness, Camping World, Lake City, FL mechanics determined it could not be repaired from rodents pee on armature. Please let me know if you have any comments, suggestions or recommendations for its repair. I have heard Honda generators are expensive but reliable. Anyone else use Honda?
Spirit22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Spirit22,
Once you do get your generator repaired/replaced, I would recommend you use 5,000 Kelvin LED Light Ropes to keep the little critters away:
Squirrels in the Engine Bay of a 22M
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 09-01-2024, 02:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit22 View Post
I have heard Honda generators are expensive but reliable. Anyone else use Honda?
Just about your only choice to replace your existing built in Onan 4000w genset is another Onan 4000.

Honda make great PORTABLE generators but not one you can easily use to replace your built in Onan.

However, if you plan to remove your built in genset and start using a portable generator then Honda is a great, but pricier, choice. You'd probably want a 4000w generator again to run everything like your Onan did. They are large and quite heavy. I doubt it would fit in the same location as your Onan, you'd have to find a way to transport it.

Unfortunately Honda makes 3200w and 7000w quiet gens so, they don't even make a 4000w in their quiet gen lineup. They do make open frame construction gens but they are very loud and your neighbors wouldn't approve.

Westinghouse makes a 5000w model with electric start remote that's only $1000

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-.../dp/B06XC47ZX4

Perhaps you can find a used Onan 4000w genset to swap out for your existing generator?? I've seen them online from time to time. New ones sell for $4,545, but used ones are between $1000 and $2000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13421952765...em1f401b75e4ng
Old 09-01-2024, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Being hard to convince that I need to spend money, let me be the devil's advocate here?
Is there more info on the idea that they could not repair it?
Was it a matter of not starting or was it starting and running but not producing the power it should?

I admit to being somewhat cynical when it comes to reports from various folks who work at some of the RV places. It is very hard to be an expert on all points when we talk RV repair as there are some many different systems.
What I find at many RV shops is that they have a person who is pretty good at figuring out lots of problems but that also may mean they are not true experts in any one field! It's hard to get a good generator mechanic to work for the wages paid for RV techs!

Not to say they are wrong because I certainly can't see the problem from here and I'm no expert on the question! But with that in mind, before spending a good deal of money or going to a much degraded system for power, I might want to get a second opinion!

When we look at an RV, it is a set of equipment that happens to wind up in an RV.
If we want the best, really expert folks on generators, we may need to move away from RV repair and get the folks who repair generators every day, all day.
You may know far more of the back story but I would be reluctant to change it out until I got a Cummins/ONAN person to take a quick look and tell me it was not practical to repair.

Maybe an online search for them in your area and then maybe do some calling to check the folks you are finding.
This may get anything from being ignored to getting somebody who tells you a totally different story.
This might cost $500 dollars to repair but I feel it would also be worth far more than a good generator that was a nuisance to deal with both in hauling and using!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Team

Onan is a company owned by Cummins. They have a Cummins/Onan repair shop 38 miles south of you in Ocala. They claim to be a full service Onan RV Generator repair shop.

Cummins South - Ocala
321 Southwest 52nd Avenue
Ocala, FLORIDA 34474-1892
Phone: 352 861-1122
Old 09-01-2024, 07:12 PM   #6
Winnebago owner

Just a thought on replacing onan gen.
I use an Ecoflow lithium gen. I can’t say I use onboard gen much…. To many rules about noise and the tech now for Solar panels and lithium gen just a game changer.
Old 09-01-2024, 07:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would join the forum over at Smokstak and ask about your Onan there before I would believe anything Camping World tells you. Armatures can be polished, it's done all the time and I don't think there is anything on your generator that can't be fixed.

Ask questions over there and then go to a Cummins/Onan service center or an independent generator repair shop.

Let Camping World do what they do best, sell toilet paper and over priced RVs.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I was thinking it possible the pee cut through the coating/shellac on the windings but that seemed like pretty strong pee!
My thoughts on Camping World put them pretty low on the service end of things.
Old 09-02-2024, 06:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
I was thinking it possible the pee cut through the coating/shellac on the windings but that seemed like pretty strong pee!
My thoughts on Camping World put them pretty low on the service end of things.
Even if the windings are damaged the OP has a 2019, I would hope an armature is available. Where I live we still have a shop that does rewinds.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:48 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Just about your only choice to replace your existing built in Onan 4000w genset is another Onan 4000.

Honda make great PORTABLE generators but not one you can easily use to replace your built in Onan.

However, if you plan to remove your built in genset and start using a portable generator then Honda is a great, but pricier, choice. You'd probably want a 4000w generator again to run everything like your Onan did. They are large and quite heavy. I doubt it would fit in the same location as your Onan, you'd have to find a way to transport it.

Unfortunately Honda makes 3200w and 7000w quiet gens so, they don't even make a 4000w in their quiet gen lineup. They do make open frame construction gens but they are very loud and your neighbors wouldn't approve.

Westinghouse makes a 5000w model with electric start remote that's only $1000

https://www.amazon.com/Westinghouse-.../dp/B06XC47ZX4

Perhaps you can find a used Onan 4000w genset to swap out for your existing generator?? I've seen them online from time to time. New ones sell for $4,545, but used ones are between $1000 and $2000:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13421952765...em1f401b75e4ng
>>>
Thank you, great information.
Old 09-02-2024, 11:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you again, creativepart, Given me hope that I won't have to invest another $ 5,000 for generator subject to destruction by a rodent.
Old 09-02-2024, 12:49 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

And then there are times and places where things good work out so good, if we could only get the right folks together at the right time!

Local Craigslist ad that creates all kinds of ideas to solve both folks problems:
https://austin.craigslist.org/zip/d/...780863002.html

Too large to FedEx it to Florida?
Maybe not the best idea but I wonder if there is one setting around in Florida for the same price?

Maybe a lot scloser:
https://staugustine.craigslist.org/b...777378509.html
Old 09-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Cummins is touting the Onan QG4000i quiet genset as a great machine.
https://app.noreply.cummins.com/e/es...=18283&elqat=1
Now might be a good time to call Cummins customer service with your ongoing issue.

p.s. Be prepared to answer the question; " have you exercised the genset 2 hrs per month as recommended in the owners manual?"
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote