Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-11-2023, 02:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Outlet not working 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

So my outlet in my bathroom stopped working this morning for no reason.

It is a 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35j

I was using it, and then it just stoped.

It is not a GFI, the only GFI i have in the entire RV is at the stairs next to the galley. I have looked at the schematics and apparently the GFI at the stairs controls the galley and the bathroom.

The galley and the stairs outlets work just fine.

I have removed the outlet, and the white wire is NOT HOT so there is no power getting it.

I am now at a loss on how to repair this.
bnd10706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 03:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Obviously that receptacle is not on the same circuit as the galley and stairs receptacles. Now it's time to begin turning off breakers one at a time and testing all circuits for power. By elimination, the breaker that has not effected any other 120V light or appliance or receptacle is the faulty circuit.
Then determining why the receptacle isn't working comes next, could be loose/broken connection or wire, faulty breaker or faulty receptacle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnd10706 View Post

I have removed the outlet, and the white wire is NOT HOT so there is no power getting it.
Under normal circumstances the white wire is not hot, only the black. Unless you are referring to the Romex cable as a white wire.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The drawings are here but there are two different versions for that Rv, so some sorting is needed to get the best ideas?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_163930.pdf

The main difference seems to be on which breaker tha bath outlets work, sheet 1 or sheet 2?

Sheet one shows this breaker and may be easy to spot which you have?
Click these snips to get better view!!!
Main difference seems to be if you are on sheet one, there are 5 15 amp breakers on the far right side and this sicrcuit comes off the next to last at right!
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheet1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	186625
If on sheet one, this is the way those outlets get power, from the breaker to the two nightstands and then to a GFCI and on to a second oulet in sidewall of bath?

Name:	sheet1-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	186626

OR?

Do you have this breaker with an added 20 breaker as last on right?

Name:	sht 2-1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	186627

If this is you, there apears to have been a second GFCI as shown?

Basic same layout on each for that last small part of the circuit but I thought to send along as things sometimes get more complex as we look it over?

Name:	sht2-2.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	186628

I might check the nightstands are live and then move toward the batah outlets as there seems to be a wire open at some point. RV oulotest are not the best quality, so I sometimes just go for a new normal household outlet that has screw connections as I want to get rid of the funky RV which do not make connections I trust very far.
Once I'm going tot he trouble to take it out of the wall, I just like to put them in the trash instead of MY wall!

Best of luck on the bug hunt!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 09:24 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
The drawings are here but there are two different versions for that Rv, so some sorting is needed to get the best ideas?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_163930.pdf

The main difference seems to be on which breaker tha bath outlets work, sheet 1 or sheet 2?

Sheet one shows this breaker and may be easy to spot which you have?
Click these snips to get better view!!!
Main difference seems to be if you are on sheet one, there are 5 15 amp breakers on the far right side and this sicrcuit comes off the next to last at right!
Attachment 186625
If on sheet one, this is the way those outlets get power, from the breaker to the two nightstands and then to a GFCI and on to a second oulet in sidewall of bath?

Attachment 186626

OR?

Do you have this breaker with an added 20 breaker as last on right?

Attachment 186627

If this is you, there apears to have been a second GFCI as shown?

Basic same layout on each for that last small part of the circuit but I thought to send along as things sometimes get more complex as we look it over?

Attachment 186628

I might check the nightstands are live and then move toward the batah outlets as there seems to be a wire open at some point. RV oulotest are not the best quality, so I sometimes just go for a new normal household outlet that has screw connections as I want to get rid of the funky RV which do not make connections I trust very far.
Once I'm going tot he trouble to take it out of the wall, I just like to put them in the trash instead of MY wall!

Best of luck on the bug hunt!
The 2nd one is the one I have.

I have a circuit tester, and an outlet tester. EVERY outlet that I know of is working besides the bath... if there is a 2nd GFI, I have NO idea where it is.

I have the outlet out...and I plan to replace it. however the wire going into the outlet is NOT HOT. I have taken the outlet off and there is no Hot wire.

My plan right now is if I cannot figure this out by next week when I get near a hardware store (right now in the middle of nowhere) I plan to take the galley outlet out and see if the loop might have come undone some how?

I have tested that the galley outlet is 100% on that stair GFI.

I cannot find any other GFI... I opened every cabinet and drawer and looked behind everything, and every bay...

Ive had this rig for 8 months now, and I feel like I would have seen one.

I dont think the outlet is bad... im pretty sure its not getting power.

Right now this is my thoughts.

The power from the Galley kitchen loop is not working.... so stairs ---> Galley ---> bathroom.... the only thing im thinking of is that I need to test the 2 outside outlets too.. to see if they could potentially be on that circuit too...

My only issue I see at this point is the breaker... the only reason why i dont think its the breaker.... EVERY OTHER OUTLET WORKS... plus all the lights work, and all the switches work...there is nothing else NOT working...

If it was a GFI.. another outlet would not be working... and if it was a breaker...another outlet on the breaker would not be working... im just finding that hard to believe.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My Sightseer has a GFI on the outside in the next to last basement door (passenger side)
Old 07-12-2023, 06:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
My Sightseer has a GFI on the outside in the next to last basement door (passenger side)
Nope,just checked there, nothing in that bay.

Only 2 outlets that I can find is the one in the big basement by the steps, and then right about that is my radio with an outlet in that cubby. Nether are GFI, and both work.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

@Morich

I went through your drawings this morning... double checked everything.

I defiantly have the 2nd one over the first. We have an electric water heater which is what that last 20amp is.

Here is a picture of the breaker panel.

Looking at the drawing it is saying that the receptacle in bathroom is GFI.. that is just not true. There is only one outlet in there. And the wire for it goes DOWN.

I have looked in the basement below but no other outlet.

Why the nightstands outlets... which are BEHIND the bath outlet.

The X is the breaker panel and the O are the 3 outlets that that sheet claims is on the same circuit and some mystery outlet....

I dont know WHERE that mystery outlet is
Old 07-12-2023, 07:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Some "tricks" to the way info is done by Winnebago may help!
They do two types of drawings for the electrical, one is the wire by wire which many call schematics. The other is installation drawings and will show more of the actual physical locations of things and kind of try to show how wires are run. Not easy to read at times as things get messy!

But in this case looking at outlets you find and then the drawing here may help:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_163928.pdf

One thing to keep in mind on RV as they get older is the way we all tend to modify them to meet what WE feel is right! Some changes arte better than others, so be alert that the drawings may be right for what they built but not right by the time we get the RV!
Be alert for really bad moves like taking GFCI out because they trip! That means there are outlets that WON'T trip and may kill you??

So some looking at the install diagram may help?
I find a GFCI shown (when new?) just under or behiind the bench galley seat?
Click to get better picture or go direct for the whole story!

What the shcematic shows?

Name:	sht2-2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	186629

Then what the install shows?

Name:	bath.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	186630

And a bit more detail on part of it?

Name:	bath1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	186631

So I'm seeing it comes from the load center, breaks off to both the nightstands before going tot he GFCI down low and beeding back to the second bath outlet up high?
Also it looks like there should have been a GFCI right at the door to protect things near the water and also outside outlets? Not involved uin the bath outlets, though!
Maybe it has been changed out for regular outlet? Needs some looking!

Name:	GFCI galley.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	186634

But that is where things need to be looked at closer with the drawings in hand as a guide. What I "think" I see needs big time checking for a match on the RV!
Use what You see, not what "I think I see" !

Things get changed or I screw up on my looking, so go with what you find!
Old 07-12-2023, 08:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Some "tricks" to the way info is done by Winnebago may help!
They do two types of drawings for the electrical, one is the wire by wire which many call schematics. The other is installation drawings and will show more of the actual physical locations of things and kind of try to show how wires are run. Not easy to read at times as things get messy!

But in this case looking at outlets you find and then the drawing here may help:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_163928.pdf

One thing to keep in mind on RV as they get older is the way we all tend to modify them to meet what WE feel is right! Some changes arte better than others, so be alert that the drawings may be right for what they built but not right by the time we get the RV!
Be alert for really bad moves like taking GFCI out because they trip! That means there are outlets that WON'T trip and may kill you??

So some looking at the install diagram may help?
I find a GFCI shown (when new?) just under or behiind the bench galley seat?
Click to get better picture or go direct for the whole story!

What the shcematic shows?
Attachment 186629

Then what the install shows?
Attachment 186630

And a bit more detail on part of it?
Attachment 186631

So I'm seeing it comes from the load center, breaks off to both the nightstands before going tot he GFCI down low and beeding back to the second bath outlet up high?
Also it looks like there should have been a GFCI right at the door to protect things near the water and also outside outlets? Not involved uin the bath outlets, though!
Maybe it has been changed out for regular outlet? Needs some looking!
Attachment 186634

But that is where things need to be looked at closer with the drawings in hand as a guide. What I "think" I see needs big time checking for a match on the RV!
Use what You see, not what "I think I see" !

Things get changed or I screw up on my looking, so go with what you find!
Thank you! THis was SUPER helpful. I was able to trace it to a GFI... i had personally hidden with a pantry against that wall that I had forgotten about when we did the remodel... it has solved my problem!
Old 07-12-2023, 09:12 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I'd guess that 90% of the time an outlet issue traces back to a GCFI.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I'd guess that 90% of the time an outlet issue traces back to a GCFI.
It helps if you dont build a pantry in front of a GFI... Ill solve the problem by adding a GFI in the bathroom.
Old 07-12-2023, 09:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Keep in mind the only folks making mistakes are the ones who are DOING something!
And if we didn't shoot ourselves in the foot, who else would do it!

Old 07-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It helps if you dont build a pantry in front of a GFI... Ill solve the problem by adding a GFI in the bathroom.
You'll have to change the existing GCFI to an outlet so it doesn't trip again. Alternatively, if it's not too difficult, cut an access hole so the GCFI is accessible via the cabinet. In any case, make sure you document all this for the benefit of a future owner.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Is there a ground fault circuit interrupter on that or any receptical? It's a button on the receptical itself that could be tripped and easily reset by pushing the button back in. Check all receptacles in RV. Some are tied together and if button is tripped, it may render others to be dead too. Good luck. Larry 2014 Reyo
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 07:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
Is there a ground fault circuit interrupter on that or any receptical? It's a button on the receptical itself that could be tripped and easily reset by pushing the button back in. Check all receptacles in RV. Some are tied together and if button is tripped, it may render others to be dead too. Good luck. Larry 2014 Reyo
I found the problem.

As I stated, I built a pantry on top of the GFI that was in the main room. When i was doing it, I remember saying " I will never use this outlet". But it was not until someone above showed the diagram that I remembered about it. IM going to swap that GFI so that the GFI is in the bathroom and accessible now.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

The reasoning for the location is likely due to being close to water supplies which means there is hazard from being grounding while touching any power, so code required that outlet be protected! Kitchen, bath and outside are often GFCI protected.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:39 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
The reasoning for the location is likely due to being close to water supplies which means there is hazard from being grounding while touching any power, so code required that outlet be protected! Kitchen, bath and outside are often GFCI protected.
No I understand that.. but I want the physical GFI outlet in the bathroom, instead of behind my pantry... so ill keep the circuit the way it is, just swap the outlets.
Old 07-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
No I understand that.. but I want the physical GFI outlet in the bathroom, instead of behind my pantry... so ill keep the circuit the way it is, just swap the outlets.
Yes! Did not mean to fault what you are planning as it is not likely to be a hazard when hidden.
Just moving the protection down the line seems a good idea from here!
this communications stuff leaves a lot of room for missing what we each might be thinking!

Tags
winnebago, sightseer