Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-27-2023, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Plugged into 240v dryer outlet fix

Hello,

I did the unthinkable and plugged into a 30 Amp dryer outlet rather than the proper 110 volt 30 amp. (Which wasn’t available at my friends house).

I am trying to find out what I fried with too many volts and how to fix it. My batteries are not charging well anymore. My volts remain low. Today I’m going to get my converter battery charger tested.

Is there a separate inverter rather than the converter under the kitchen drawers?

I replaced a breaker that partially flipped for the fridge but it still flips partially. All the fuses are good throughout, the gfci outlets work.

My microwave will not turn on. I may have fried that. It does not turn on with an external extension cord. Does anyone know if it would have a fuse inside of the unit?

Anything along the lines of fixing this will help. Thank you so much!
Ejc349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Much of the questions will depend on which RV you have.
Can you start us off by choosing which from this list of electrical drawings?

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Do you have a meter to test a few points if we can point to them? Kind of need to get a feel for what level of help you will be most comfortable with doing!

for instance, witha meter, it is pretty easy to test the voltage at the batteries to see how ell the converter is working.
Just to ease the mind a bit, we would normally expect to find blown fuse/breakers tripped but not a lot of real damage.

More info on how the RV was connected to get to the dryer outlet will likely be needed to see where the power may have moved. What form of adapter, etc?
But that is where the testing needs to lead us as better than guessing.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejc349 View Post
Hello,

I did the unthinkable and plugged into a 30 Amp dryer outlet rather than the proper 110 volt 30 amp. (Which wasn’t available at my friends house).

I am trying to find out what I fried with too many volts and how to fix it. My batteries are not charging well anymore. My volts remain low. Today I’m going to get my converter battery charger tested.

Is there a separate inverter rather than the converter under the kitchen drawers? An inverter takes power from your batteries and turns it into 120 volts, if you have an inverter it likely didn't suffer. Your converter on the other hand, likely got damaged, they usually do when subjected to 240 volts.

I replaced a breaker that partially flipped for the fridge but it still flips partially. All the fuses are good throughout, the gfci outlets work. When a breaker trips the handle goes to the center position. You don't say if your fridge is compressor or absorption but either one will suffer from 240 volts. The absorption model uses a 120 volt heating element which will burn out pretty quickly on 240 volts, but the fix is a new element which isn't too bad and a compressor fridge will suffer on 240 volts as well, possible the relay will fry and if not the motor windings can burn. (I'm going to guess yours is absorption due to the element likely shorted which is causing the breaker to trip).

My microwave will not turn on. I may have fried that. It does not turn on with an external extension cord. Does anyone know if it would have a fuse inside of the unit? Possibly a fuse on the board but more likely the power supply or the circuit board got fried. Does the display light up?

Anything along the lines of fixing this will help. Thank you so much!
Remarks in blue.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:19 PM   #4
Just Trying to Help

Ejc349-

Any device attached to "120V" service and had electricity flowing to it likely will need its control board(s) replaced. Some microwaves do have AC fuses.

To reduce the chance of this happening again, buy and use a Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System). For a 30A RV, your choices are the EMS-PT30X, the EMS-LCHW30 and the EMS-HW30C. A link to the EMS-HW30C is here. You can spend less on other models and imitations, but even the most expensive PI unit will cost you less than it will to fix what's broken from plugging into 240VAC.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Ejc349-

I expect most of the devices attached to "120V" service will need their control boards replaced.

To reduce the chance of this happening again, buy and use a Progressive Industries EMS (Electrical Management System). For a 30A RV, your choices are the EMS-PT30X, the EMS-LCHW30 and the EMS-HW30C. A link to the EMS-HW30C is here. You can spend less on other models and imitations, but even the most expensive PI unit will cost you less than it will to fix what's broken from plugging into 240VAC.
We don't know the age or model of the RV but I'm thinking the only board that is subject to line voltage is the microwave and possibly the AC if it is a newer model and it got switched on. The controls for the furnace, water heater and fridge are all 12 volt as well as the thermostat, fans and lighting. The television(s) might be another matter, usually the power supply will go before anything reaches the boards.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Try running the fridge on propane (if it's absorption). This will verify the board. You will need battery power though. I forgot that on a 2-way 3-way the board senses when there is 120 volts so it may have took a hit like Mark said.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Good thoughts on things that may have been damaged if it did get 240 to it. But that would be assuming it was wired that way to get 240.
And without knowinh how it was connected to the power and through what type adpater, we have to guess.
That combined with not knowing what Rv they have leaves me with lots of questions. Maybe nothing inside works because the cord was ruined??
Maybe the inverter was not ruined as maybe their RV had no inverter!!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 05:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Good thoughts on things that may have been damaged if it did get 240 to it. But that would be assuming it was wired that way to get 240.
And without knowinh how it was connected to the power and through what type adpater, we have to guess.
That combined with not knowing what Rv they have leaves me with lots of questions. Maybe nothing inside works because the cord was ruined??
Maybe the inverter was not ruined as maybe their RV had no inverter!!
I think it's a pretty good bet it saw 240 from the clues, microwave does not work even from a different source, fridge trips breaker. Bad cord unlikely as he has working outlets.
We don't always get a lot of info which makes us be detectives, learned that in my career as an electrician. On these boards we don't even hear back sometimes!
Old 06-28-2023, 02:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Brian, I'm with you but I'm still trying to understand how or who made up a patch cord to allow the RV 30a 120v to connect the a dryer outlet, 30a 240v.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2023, 05:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

It was probably an old 3 wire dryer recep and a lot of people think because it looks similar to a TT-30 it must be the same kind of hookup. Seen it happen a few times. My brother in law insisted his TT was the same as his 3 wire dryer and he was going to make a hookup till I finally convinced him it was not.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

crickets from the OP
Old 07-03-2023, 03:02 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

This clears up misunderstandings about electrical receptacles that can, and cannot be used for RV electrical power. https://www.myrv.us/electric/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote