Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-03-2024, 12:28 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Powerstation Shuts down when running A/C

My TT is constructed with a 30amp receptacle. However, in a pinch I'll use an adapter to plug into a normal household outlet. With the installation of a SoftStartRV on my A/C I am able to run my A/C without any issues.

I recently purchased a Zendure SuperBase Pro Power Station. It provides 2K watts with a maximum surge of 3K.

While plugged into the Power Station I notice that the A/C is humming which tells me there is a power issue. So, I pull up the Power Station app on my phone and I notice that it's defaulted to 50Hz. Knowing that the Dometic Penguin II is spec'd for 120V 60Hz I toggle from 50Hz to 60Hz figuring that might solve the humming issue. However, the Power Station shuts down the Alternating Current and my A/C shuts off.

Is there a reason why a portable Power Station would not power up the A/C when switching over to a 60Hz frequency rather than 50Hz? Makes no sense to me. My assumption is that my home is running at 60Hz and my A/C runs fine that way. But, when I choose to use the Power Station at 60Hz the A/C refuses to run.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Two possibilities.

One, have you turned off all other 110v circuit breakers... including your converter? Otherwise, when you plug in to the power station the converter will attempt to charge your batteries using a lot of the available power. And, no other AC loads should be running. not even a charger or TV.

Lastly, looking at the specs for that unit my personal opinion is that it doesn't have enough power. The specs listed are best case, shortest time, with a big downhill and the wind at your back kind of "2000w'. Even a Honda 2200i will struggle with running your A/C unit and it's rated at much higher output than your power station. Your soft start helps on compressor startup, but not after that. It can only do so much.

So, first make sure everything else is off in your trailer- which is a bummer to not be able to use any AC just so you can kind of run your A/C for a little while.
Old 06-03-2024, 03:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Funny you bring up the wattage draw while A/C isn't running. I did notice that there was about a 300 watt draw while plugged in and I'm willing to bet that's because of the battery that's being charged. I can try turning off the switch and then try again. What's crazy is that even with that draw the A/C started up using 50Hz and it ran albeit with the humming.

You're right about the power aspect of it. TBH I know it's not good for the long haul on a hot day by any means. I was mostly going to use it in the morning so as not to wake up my fellow campers around me. Maybe for a couple hours at most. If the A/C turned on I would have enough juice to get through a couple cycles. Maybe even just to run the coffee machine (with A/C off obviously). After that I fire up the generator.

Thanks for the feedback!

Tags
power