Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-17-2024, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Removing Converter 2001 Adventurer.

I finally loicated the converter in my 2001 Adventurer, but how do you acess it to remove it?
pfrenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 11:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Almost certain to need to know which 2001 Adventurer you have as the location may differe in different models?
Is it one built into the back of the load center or a stand alone unit?
More info needed on what you have!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Adventurer 35U. It is a stand alone unit under the drawer that is under the stove. I can't see any screws or anything to remove to get it out.
pfrenette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2024, 06:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

It may be held on by velcro strips. Maybe try prying up one edge.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrenette View Post
I have a Adventurer 35U. It is a stand alone unit under the drawer that is under the stove. I can't see any screws or anything to remove to get it out.
Mine was screwed down in my 2002 Suncruiser 35U which is the same as a 2002 Adventurer 35U. There are mounting flanges that you should be able to feel. I think they're along the long sides, but I can't be sure. I was able to remove and replace mine with a new unit without too much trouble. I'm pretty sure they were Phillips head screws.

I suppose it's possible that a prior owner glued it down with some sort of adhesive. Worst case, you could install the new converter on top of the old with some simple wood stand-offs.

My wire colors were pretty faded and when re-installing I mixed up the red and black wires from the batteries. Fortunately I only blew a fuse, but be careful and make sure it's clear which wire is positive and which is negative.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 09:21 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Do you know what model / mfg of converter?

I just replaced my working in good condition Progressive Dynamics 45amp converter, but I did call Progressive Dynamics directly to get the exact replacement model that has all of the battery profiles. If I recall it was 3 screws total and they had the exact same footprint so I did not even have to drill new holes in the floor.

The OEM wiring was somewhat screwy because WBGO used a Black wire for positive and a green wire for Negative or ground. There was a 2nd green wired to ground the converter's case. They should have at least used Red tap around the edge where you plug into the converter. I was lucky to see all of that before starting.

Just so you know, even with all of the power off and fuse removed when you touch that positive wire with metal you get sparks. I didn't get any shock, but it was shocking to see nonetheless

Of course after the installation, I was reading in the manual and they actually say you may see sparking, but that it was normal.

With that said, I really like the new unit, it has remote so I can always see if it is on and what profile
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 10:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Do you know what model / mfg of converter?

I just replaced my working in good condition Progressive Dynamics 45amp converter, but I did call Progressive Dynamics directly to get the exact replacement model that has all of the battery profiles. If I recall it was 3 screws total and they had the exact same footprint so I did not even have to drill new holes in the floor.

The OEM wiring was somewhat screwy because WBGO used a Black wire for positive and a green wire for Negative or ground. There was a 2nd green wired to ground the converter's case. They should have at least used Red tap around the edge where you plug into the converter. I was lucky to see all of that before starting.

Just so you know, even with all of the power off and fuse removed when you touch that positive wire with metal you get sparks. I didn't get any shock, but it was shocking to see nonetheless

Of course after the installation, I was reading in the manual and they actually say you may see sparking, but that it was normal.

With that said, I really like the new unit, it has remote so I can always see if it is on and what profile
So wiring it up backwards wasn't totally my fault. I wonder why they did that.

Replacing it with an exact replacement might not be the right thing to do if you're upgrading, or might be in the future upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2024, 11:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
So wiring it up backwards wasn't totally my fault. I wonder why they did that.

Replacing it with an exact replacement might not be the right thing to do if you're upgrading, or might be in the future upgrading to LiFePO4 batteries.

I guess they may have bee think since the negative is also ground using Green make sense, but using Black for Positive with no Red Tape is Mfg issue in my book.

You missed the point on exact replacement.

I actually said...
I called Progressive Dynamics directly to get the exact replacement model that has all of the battery profiles

My point was because I wanted a new converter that could handle Lithium batteries, I chose to Call Progressive Dynamics. I had no issues with the OEM Charger. They informed me that they had an EXACT REPLACEMENT of my OEM model, so it fitted right into the exact same spot using the exact same screws and holes on my floor. Of course the new one can be programmed to any Battery Profile. The latter is why I bought new Charger because I wished to be proactively prepared if I ever do buy Lithium batteries.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, converter, vent