Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-15-2023, 10:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Solar Warning 2004 Ultimate Advantage 40K

This warning was on the solar display panel. Didn't have the opportunity to inquire about it and what could be damaged by 'misuse?'

Any Thoughts?

BTW - When I realized that it was set to display battery voltage and was reading -32.4 or whatever, I moved the switch. It felt stiff so I moved it up and down rapidly because it seemed like it was corroded or at least dirty. after that it started reading proper battery voltage and Array output.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	solar warning.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	295.7 KB
ID:	186978  
prafersno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Obviously, this is not a Winnebago "warning" sign but one left by a previous owner. Who knows why it's there or what that previous owner did. So, we are little to no help with that.

Can you contact the previous owner or did you buy your 19-year old RV from a dealer?

If it was me, I'd hire an independent RV tech - one with solar experience to come and both figure out what you've got installed, how it is wired and what that warning note means.

It is possible to have bad or substandard wiring or other issues that can destroy your house battery bank and even be a fire hazard.

You should really check this out.

Do you have an Operator's Manual? The Ultimate Advantage motorhome was always a complex RV to operate.

Here is a link to an online PDF version of the manual:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...4Advantage.pdf
Old 08-16-2023, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Team

OK, I looked at that Operator's Manual and your RV is too old to have come with those kinds of solar panels and the stock solar panel was a very tiny trickle charger 10-15 watt panel without a solar controller.

There is a photo of the "Solar Panel" in section 6-10, but It looks totally different and makes no mention of something optional being available. Yet, your panel does look stock-so I'm not sure what's going on there.

That OEM system cannot be upgraded with new panels without also adding a solar charge controller and new wiring. So, it depends mightily on what the previous owner has done.

I wouldn't wait around with this, if you are not RV Solar savvy it could be nothing or a major issue - thing is you need to know which it is... NOW.
Old 08-16-2023, 08:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I agree, that is an after-market installation. All Ultimates came with a 10w solar panel, not even enough to maintain the battery banks when stored outside. Mine works but is useless IMO.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 12:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It does have a bigger solar panel up top...
Old 08-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #6
Site Team

Under that warning note there is a name for that solar controller. Can you tell us the name/model of the controller and have you looked that item up on the internet to learn how it works?

I realize this 19-yr old motorhome is new to you, but since this device you are asking about is not a factory installed Winnebago part it’s new to us, too.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here's the controller and the panel. It's a BP Solar, which stopped manufacturing panels more than 10 years ago. It doesn't matter much, I was just curious why it would have a warning.
I want to work toward 'Boonedock ability' So, when I get to Page 2 of the fix it list, I replace all that crap with state of the art.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Solar 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	187005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar 1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	187008  

Name:	Solar 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	641.8 KB
ID:	187009  
Old 08-17-2023, 09:17 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by prafersno View Post
So, when I get to Page 2 of the fix it list, I replace all that crap with state of the art.
That would be advisable. Make sure to check the suitability of the wiring from the roof to the new controller or batteries, too

Tags
solar