Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-03-2022, 11:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Post Southwire 35550 Surge Protector

OK. First post and first MH, so be kind to the newbie.
We just picked up a 2018 Vista LX 35B and found the 50amp surge protector installed. I'm not sure if the unit will support 30amp or 20 amp hookups also. I know the 30amp won't power everything in the coach, but I'm concerned about no AC (single or dual) at the many 30amp sites. Am I correct and what are my options at non-50amp hookup sites? I assume I can't run the generator after certain hours. What does everyone else do?
OHVista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

OK. So I hooked up a 50-30 adapter and a 30-20 adapter. I was able to power the coach on the 20amp circuit. I had asked the question originally because the place I got it said it would only work on 50amp. Not true.
Newbie is good to go.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I was unclear if your unit is wired for 50 amp or 30 amp, it sounds like its wired for 50???? But in general the lower the amperage at the power source the fewer options for use to meet the load demand from the 110 appliances appliances, depending on what they are and how much power they require. 20 amps offered might-- just might get you enough for 1 A/C unit, but fewer other appliances could be used. An electric coffee pot plus a hair dryer added to the A/C might be way too much.

Your generator can be used without a shore power hook up, if the campground allows it, and then only during authorized hours. Your transfer switch (assuming you have one) will not allow you to use shore power and generator at the same time.

Do you know what your rig is wired as 30 or 50 amp?

Give us as much info as you can about your rigs set up and you'll get lots of good responses. Have fun camping!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Pictures help to speak for newbies.

I am pretty sure a 35' RV is 50 amps.

So with the right shorepower cord and dogbone adapters, you can get power from 15/20amp source, 30 amp source and 50 amps source.

Your RV is likely smart enough to shed loads if you only have 15/20amp source and 30 amp source.

Congrats on new RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Baseplate/Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Victron Orion XS, SmartShunt; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The coach is wired for 50amp and does have the ability to shed devices according to the load. The whole "problem" started when I was told I could only power at 50amp sites. I was told the coach would not access any power sources below 50amps, which didn't make sense. When I asked more questions, they were certain that was the case. But, I was able to hook up to a 20amp source and the coach was able to power the fridge (which is what I was after in the first place). This allows me to run the fridge in the driveway and not empty every time we return. I understand I can't run all the devices at <50amp, but that is okay as the coach will shed devices.
I think I am all good and looking forward to using this thing.
Thanks for the help.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Basic stuff is often missed by the sales folks!

This is the drawing for the 110 AC on your specific RV and way down at near the last page is the "roadmap":
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000015234.pdf

Startingatt eh plug and followingup to the load center, you come to two 50 amp breakers which then feed smaller 20 amp breakers on each side. What this shows is that you have two sets of wires comming in and through the auto switch. The switch decides if you are using the generator or the plug!
If you are using the generator both those fifty amp breakers get power just like plugged into a fifty amp feed.

But if you put a thirty amp adapter on the cord, it only connects one of those wires to the fifty amp breaker, not two. So likely the first one on left is not going to power the AC unit! No wires, no run!
But the rest of the RV connected to the other breaker is still good but will be somewhat limited as it can only use up to around thirty amp before the breaker where you plug in may trip. No using the microwave, toaster and a hair drier at the same time, perhaps?
But the penalty of going too heavy is that you have to go outside and reset the breaker, so not a big killer!

Then if you move all the way down and only use 15 amp with an adapter, you are really much more limited and the air cond. becomes iffy, even though most other things short of micro and hair drying are suspect. "Maybe" the air, but often not?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHVista View Post
The coach is wired for 50amp and does have the ability to shed devices according to the load. The whole "problem" started when I was told I could only power at 50amp sites. I was told the coach would not access any power sources below 50amps, which didn't make sense. When I asked more questions, they were certain that was the case. But, I was able to hook up to a 20amp source and the coach was able to power the fridge (which is what I was after in the first place). This allows me to run the fridge in the driveway and not empty every time we return. I understand I can't run all the devices at <50amp, but that is okay as the coach will shed devices.
I think I am all good and looking forward to using this thing.
Thanks for the help.
I will be honest, my coach came with and had a lot of things that I didn't know I had or would need. I came so close to buying SOB because they were cheaper. The Sunstar fell in my lap and I have since learned just how much some of the Sales people in general just did not know about RVs I think if I had to buy a new RV today, I would never be able to do so if the sales process is the same today as it was 3 years ago. I have ZERO patience and will walk when I know I am just getting some sales pitch that is been orchestrated by some Sales Manager that only goal is to get more money out of me and provide me with less.

With the right sized heavy duty extension cord, I can run one AC, Fridge, TV and my T Mobile Home internet with no problem. If it is summer time or hot, I put the Fridge in Propane anyway.

Note: My fridge is always cold from any trip because it had been running off Inverter, so if I only have 20 amps supply it only needs to maintain, same for 1 AC. I have never tripped a breaker though.

Good luck with the RV
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Baseplate/Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Victron Orion XS, SmartShunt; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 10-04-2022, 11:59 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
The Sunstar fell in my lap and I have since learned just how much some of the Sales people in general just did not know about RVs
A great many sales people are just that... sales people. They are not RVers and not professional enough to take the time to learn about the products they are selling. Turn over is very high.

Many times sales managers don't want "enthusiasts" selling their products. They feel they are too opinionated and will drive away customers with FACTS. These sales managers want to sell "units" at any cost and they don't care if the people buying them are really getting the best RV to fit their needs.

RVs change every year, and the vast majority of sales people pay no attention to the specs or features. As RVs get more complex that puts much more of the burden on you to do your own investigation.

There are exceptions to this - I'm sure that every sales person at Lichtsinn RV in Iowa is pretty extensively trained about each new Winnebago. But they are a one in a million Winnebago dealership.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

A few hints on things which are common to trip folks until they get the full picture?
What the inverter will use battery DC to make AC when not plugged in as it is often limited and only certain things are powered and only up to the max limit of the inverter.
Click these to get a better view!

With the inverter turned on and good battery supply, these should be expected to work:
Click image for larger version

Name:	invert.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	184339

When plugged into power, the management system (EMS) will turn on/off various items to let them work even if the power is not enough for all three to work at the same time. You have 20 amps available but that may not be enough if the converter is working hard to charge the batteries, heat the water and do the frig, so it will rotate among the three to get it all done but not all three at the same time.

Name:	ems.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	184340

One item that often trips folks is the GFCI that gets tripped and they don't know where or what it feeds?
Each of these will kill that outlet and those on beyond that spot! Be aware they will not reset if they are not getting power, so wait till powered before trying to use the reset button.

Name:	gfci.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	184341
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
There are exceptions to this - I'm sure that every sales person at Lichtsinn RV in Iowa is pretty extensively trained about each new Winnebago. But they are a one in a million Winnebago dealership.
IMO, WBGO should own the extensive creation of product videos or pay Lichtsinn a premium for the videos Lichtsinn makes. I must have watched that Lichtsinn video of my model 50 times. I don't know Ron, but to me he is the face of WBGO. I felt bad by buying new in Florida, but I could not have afforded my purchase otherwise. At the time there were a few used Sunstar selling for significantly more than what I paid brand new. But I try to use Lichtsinn whenever possible for parts.