Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-17-2024, 10:51 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Surge Protector EMS 2014 Itasca Meridian

I have a TRC (Southwire) Surge Guard RV Power Protection Transfer Switch Model 41260 installed on my 2014 Itasca Meridian.

It does not shut down due to high or low voltage, I am not sure it shuts down due to mis-wired pedstals, but it will indicate it.

We need to get something better. I wonder if I can put a Hughes hardwired EMS in line with the Surge Guard or if I need to swap it out for a basic ATS first. Southwire makes an all-in-one but is very pricey at ~$900.

I like the concept of the Hughes with Bluetooth monitoring, and it has replaceable surge components.

Input?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:13 PM   #2
Site Team

The TRC ATS says "Surge Guard" but really it's a set of power contactors. One for set for shore power and one for the generator.

You most certainly need a real EMS device. If going hard wired it would go on the shore power cable input before the ATS. Just as if you used a portable non-hard wired unit at the shore power pedestal.

We use the Progressive Dynamics EMS-PT50X.
Old 06-24-2024, 04:27 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I bought a Hughes portable. I considered hardwired, however having stayed in some poorly maintained campgrounds I figured the portable will make it easier to check power posts prior to getting set up.

I am really enjoying the BT display. I can sit in my recliner in the house and monitor the power usage.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
2018 22M

Hughes Power Watch Dog is the bomb (in my opinion)

Like Aaron, I also have a Hughes portable. A Power Watch Dog 30-EPO (rv is 30 amp.) After terrible service from the top Progressive Ind Portables (I had 3) I finally got the Watch Dog, it being recommended by multi people I trust. I've had this one 2 1/2 years and though rare, it has never missed an issue in a campground that needed to be attended to, with correct error codes. And yes, the bluetooth app is great. Especially knowing exactly how many amps I'm currently using and looking at error codes etc. I had an old iPhone 5 in a drawer and have it set up now to exclusively show the Watch Dog display.:-)

Dorothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I bought a Hughes portable...I am really enjoying the BT display. I can sit in my recliner in the house and monitor the power usage.
Aaron
dnta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, itasca