Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-12-2023, 10:41 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Use my surge protector at home?

So should I keep my Watchdog surge protector plugged in while charging my TT at home? I recently installed 30 amp service to the outside of my garage. It was DIY, so thought it a good idea to check the installation with my surge protector. It came back good. I then thought , why not, I’ll leave the surge protector. Do they wear out sooner with continued use? It’s it overkill? I’m thinking of leaving it on in case of the occasional lightning storm. I’m curious how many use your surge protector continuously, even though you trust your connection at home.
KeithB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 12:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Always, but mine is hardwired. But I should add I always used my portable one before I installed the hardwired one. It is for more than lightning. In fact, I am sure you will have a surge from your utility switching/maintenance before you would get one from lightning. In fact, surge protectors are not really for "lightning" strikes, but from the effect lightning has on the grid and how it responds to being hit.
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 01:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Totally your choice. Probably a smart thing to do. That said, I don't use mine at home. I'm not that smart. But my RV is at home only for loading and unloading between trips. It doesn't reside here.
Old 07-12-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

As mentioned surge protectors are not always needed for surge as much as other problems which can actually be much more common and also much more destructive.

Storms do cause surges and they do blow things out, but the far more common problem is the "lack of surge" from low voltage on the lines which can be common or rare depending on lots of small points that are often hard to pin down.

Some things which I have found over time are not always obvious but if we know the area, we can kind of do a "guessimate" of what goes on. Even better if we can do some watching/ checking of the voltage over time.
Two very different areas can have the same problem. One is a really fast growing area where the state has very loose regulations or chooses not to watch closely! That can mean the local utility is very rarely checked and as the area builds and grows, the electrical service is not well regulated and often lets the big expense of upgrading the lines go too long as people or industry move in . Then when something normal like a heat wave comes along, the line voltage can drop to the point that things like frig motors, AC or heavy users tend to overheat as they try to start with the low voltage.
That long slow start is a real killer on a hot day as it causes so much extra heat!
But it is not a big bang type failure as the wire insulation is only slightly damaged each time and nobody complains to get the folks in charge of making money to do anything!

Texas is now famous for failing to make the investments and the consumer is paying the price every day as their appliances fail!

OR

If you live in an area that is slow growing like many in the rural farming areas, things go quite a different way that comes out the same result! Those areas where things move slower, may try to keep up but it is slow progress and as time goes on the load gets bigger but the control equipment may still be manual with nobody to watch it and adjust as the load hits. At dawn and dusk in dairy areas you can spot a real dip in voltage when the milk coolers turn on!

In Olathe, I'm pretty sure you are more likely to be in the first group than the last!!
But the RV is not where I see the damage but in all the other things in the house that can cost you so much more, given the time for all that small damage to finally kill things.

I never worried too much with surge protection at home as it covered such a small portion of the damage done by by the constant swings to low voltage.
I've found the nearby lightning shot is prone to going straight through the surge protection anyway.

It's good to try to save the RV but I feel more important to save the house as it gets the same voltage as the RV plugged in outside!
Now the big question is how much my congressman cares!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would use it anytime I plugged into shore power.

Morich is right, nothing will stop a lightning strike from going through a surge suppressor. It's not even designed for that, it's like he said, for the usual variations in line voltage that can damage sensitive electronics.

About the early 1980's Westinghouse Electric tried to design a lightning protector for household main panels. When tested the huge amount of voltage generated( couldn't even come close to lightning) trying to simulate a lightning strike would cause the silicone carbide arrester blocks to explode, then the energy would jump to the panel mains.

This often caused a fire, if there was no fire there was a lot of smoke resulting in the same amount of damage had it not been wired into the main breaker panel. The project was scrapped after a year of testing.
A typical lightning flash is about 300 million Volts and about 30,000 Amps. In comparison, household current is 120 Volts and 15 Amps.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have been a fan of lightning for as long as I can remember and it is one of the things we have never really gotten close to controlling. We work at it in big expensive industrial stuff but if it wants to get you it will!

If it can take a 40 foot oak tree and blow it all to pieces, a little bitty human made thing is just for fun!

Not to make anybody think the surge protection is totally meaningless, just that they are NOT a sure cure. If you are in a campground with maybe 40 other RV and the surge is far enough away from YOUR RV, they will defintiely help as the surge will go first to the closest and easiest path to ground and move further out and choose the harder path after the easy pathes have soaked up some the the charge.

So if you and a second RV are the same distance, it will definitely get to the surge protected one less often or with less damage.
At least that is the theory!!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:43 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Remember "Lightning rods" you could put on your house and/or barn? Remember that little copper wire running from it to a ground rod? It was not designed to ground a lightning strike, but to bleed away the static electricity that develops before it decides to shoot up into the sky. Like Ray said, if a strike actually runs into your house, nothing is going to stop it. Most power/transmission lines have a "static lines" running above the conductors to bleed off the static build up.

True story - My Grandpa had a lightning rod on his house and barn but not the cottonwood tree next to the house, and it got hit. Split it right down the middle, with one half falling onto the house. He told me, if lightning wants to get you, it will find a way!

Word of warning for those that like to go outside and watch the storms (like me). If your hair starts to stand up, you are building a static charge and it is time to go in!
No1Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2023, 07:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

sounds like a reasonable thing to do.
alaskawife14 is offline   Reply With Quote