Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #1
Winnie Driver

Will a small (7W) plug in solar panel work to keep batteries charged in storage?

Our Vista 30T is in a storage facility with no power. Can I use, can I, or should I use a small, 12" square, 7W plug in solar panel to keep ANY batteries in the coach charged?
Bill
gravityimage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:31 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

7 watts won't do much honestly. Be sure to disconnect the coach and wire directly to one set of the batteries. I would guess you have 2 coach and 1 chassis - your choice as to which one get's the charge. I would visit at least monthly and run the generator too IF it sits that long.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I recommend a 25W - 50W panel with a suitable controller as a maintainer. If you'd like to charge both house and starting batteries, you can install a Trik-L-Start or its big brother Amp-L-Start between the two. The Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start will also keep your starting battery charged when on shore power. Here are links to a solar panel kit and the Trik-L-Start.

https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-IP...s%2C225&sr=8-3

Trik-l-Start: http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

For some time, i was a fan of the Trik-l items for keeping the start battery charged while in storage but, given some more time to think it over, I am gradually changing my mind.

My first thought was to save the pain of dragging out and using two separate charge methods while here at home. One was the power from the converter that charges the coach batteries but then I needed to have another to charge the start battery, at least in my mind.

But after some thought, It occurred to me to ask why and I now simply clip a wire between two positive posts and let the converter handle charging both. My batteries are all on the same shelf and next to each other, arrive home near fully charged, so a simple strap of 12 gauge wire is plenty to maintain the charge between the two sets as I'm okay as long as I do keep an eye on the water levels.

This does the same thing as the mode solenoid except I do it manually when we get home, rather than the boost switch or the mode solenoid connecting them. Once thinking of what the Trik-L really does, I see it is only a connection between the two with the added benefit of a diode to act as a one way gate to avoid current from the start flowing back to the coach batteries, but that is not anything that I am concerned about if it keeps both sets charged.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Running the generator once a month will keep the batteries charged and it is good for the generator to be run to keep it in shape as well. Onan recommends two hours each month which seems excessive but even an hour will bring your house batteries back unless you have a lot of parasitic loads.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, panel, solar, solar panel, storage