Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-22-2024, 01:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Xantrex Inverter/Charger Working or Not? 2022 View

Have a new to us 2022 View with the Xantrex Freedom X Inverter/charger. The previous owner upgraded to two 100AH lithium. The house batteries charge fine when driving or under solar. But when hooked up to shore power the batteries actually drain. Could not get them to charge while using the generator either. Although did not run it very long.
Questions:
Does the generator also charge the batteries through the same charging system? (I believe so)
Doing much research here and elsewhere a common first test is looking for bad fuses, breakers and bad or loose battery cables.
But if we had bad or loose cables would everything else work in the coach?
If a bad fuse (somewhere) or breaker to the charger would the Xantrex control panel inside the upper cabinet work? It does light up and display various functions. Something I have to work on understanding.
Answers here would help me move on to other options.
Thanks for your help
bnkview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2024, 04:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

To begin looking for info on the RV wiring, we will need more info on exactly which RV and what options were ordered with it as there are several.
Is it possible you have the sheet that lists those various items in a big bag of info?
Something like the sheet we see in new car windows with the options on that specific car?
The build date may also be critical as the 2022 model year had some changes during the year due to the covid crisis. One of those struggles was in getting the needed parts and there are three changes in the electrical equipment ordered on your RV.

Sorry to seem a pain but what we may need is info to look at drawings as they may change, in this case it seems three times in one year!
The problem is that there are so many small points that when we look for info, it is very helpful if we can go with confidence that our info is correct for YOUR RV, not the one next to it!
If you can give us as much info as possible, we can get closer to the better answers!
I picked one floorplan as example. Click these snips to get a better view.
Which floorplan as they are listed that way?
Click image for larger version

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	190167
1MP or is it 02P?

Name:	view2.jpg
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	190168
I suspect it will be some connection from the inverter/charger to the coach batteries but we can cut the confusion and guessing somewhat if we can go in more of a straight line!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	view3.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	190169  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 08:31 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Morich, thanks for reply. It is definitely a 24D or WM524D with the O2P chassis variation.
Would the Xantra display/control panel be working if it is in some connection between the charger and coach batteries?
Old 10-23-2024, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Ok, good info to go to the correct drawings for more info!
I'm looking at this drawing and it may be helpful to get the "big picture" as I'm not able to copy the full things on one snip!
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File.../000210426.pdf
This question is one that involves both the 110AC side as well as the 12 volt DC as the inverter charger "passes through" the AC when available OR uses 12VDC to "make" AC when not available. That generator or plug use the same route and do the same thing when available.
Beg pardon if this is stuff you already know! Thinking better you have to ignore some being better than leaving you in the dark?
Click this snip to see what I think they do!

Name:	power.jpg
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	190174
Starting with the blue lines at bottom left, the AC from cord or generator are chosen by the switch to pass on the one that works to the main breaker. That breaker feeds power to air conditioner breaker and to the inverter IN breaker.
Power goes to the inverter and "passes through" if we have generator or cord power. But if we don't and have the inverter turned on, the inverter "makes" the AC to pass out and back to the breaker box!
Blue line in, purple line out?
At the breaker that power is passes off to smaller breakers for other RV parts. So we get the green section only when plugged or generator runs.
The orange section should work either plugged/generator OR from inverter working.

Where they leave us in the dark is not mention of any connection to the batteries from the inverter! We know it has to be there but WHERE?
In the 2010 model year, they stopped posting the schematic drawings for the 12VDC /battery wiring and it really hurts when we try to figure things!

So we do some guessing and testing?
I used the parts catalog here:
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Then went to electrical section and 110AC
https://catalog.winnebagoind.com/2020/339921.htm
I see the inverter/charger listed only as inverter but we have to assume it also charges if we want batteries to charge??
Click these snips to see best!
I see the inverter here next to steps?

Name:	inverter.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	190175
Outside next to passenger wall shows connections?

Name:	invert2.jpg
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	190176
But the other end that is inside and likely pretty close to interior wall seems to have a popout type breaker!

Name:	inverter 3.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	190177
So I see no converter which is what we expect on other older RV. That means this HAS to act as charger, even if listed as inverter? Inverter, by definition use DC to make AC, so maybe they get sloppy with names? Guessing!!!

Maybe you can get a hand in and feel this breaker popped out to reset by pushing in? Wishful thoughts?

What hampers us is the lack of info on what and how the DC gets connected to things. That leaves us not knowing where the monitor wires connect and can it still work when some other part may have stopped!
SE if this breaker is anything to fix?

Best of luck and staninding by for news!
Old 10-23-2024, 10:00 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

The charger function must be manually turned on/off, is the charger light on? Does the inverter/charger have a lithium battery bank selection? If so, what are the settings?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 10:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The charger function must be manually turned on/off, is the charger light on? Does the inverter/charger have a lithium battery bank selection? If so, what are the settings?
Do you have any paper on the inverter to show what that breaker feeds or what function?
Old 10-23-2024, 10:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
One of the problems is the coach is stored some ways away and I will take as much info back with me to test these things.
I am not sure about a "charger light" being on. There is a only a display encased in a wood grain panel with a power button.

I can't seem to find a way to copy and paste the image to share or do what Richard did above. The forum controls wants the URL of the image...it really doesn't have one.
There is a power button that when turned on displays/lights up the panel with numerous control options (3 buttons). I will have to see what happens with a charger light on function. But the panel all goes off after a delay of no interaction. I have not seen any kind of stand alone "charger on" function.
I will have to check the settings once I am back and troubleshooting assuming I can interpret the lithium settings.
But again, will the display be working if their is trip on the back of the charger as Richard suggested might happen or if a breaker or fuse was bad?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	freedomxbluetoothremotepanel_front_1048_964.png
Views:	1
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	190193  
Old 10-23-2024, 10:47 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Only what you provided in thread number 2 and the various links.
Old 10-23-2024, 12:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I thought maybe Ray had something? But if you have an model number brand, etc. we might do a search online for manuals or info?
The big thing with info on RV is that each manufacturer of a part is the one we need to look to for most good info.
I found what appears to be solid info but not repair help here:
https://xantrex.com/products/inverters/freedomx/
I spot what the breaker might be and It looks like a GFCI, so perhaps not part of the charge question.

Name:	inverter free.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	190180
Maybe a good time to try a call to the builders for solid info. I have to say I'm way out in the weeds on guessing!
Old 10-23-2024, 03:32 PM   #10
'21 View 24J

Hi bnkview - Congrats on your new motorhome.

Yes, the Onan and shore power use the same coach battery charging system - the Xantrex 2000 Charger / Inverter.

The Xantrex is connected directly to the coach batteries, and that connection can be severed if you use the large rotary disconnect switch located down on the floor by the battery master switch and the coach step power. (It is not labeled.) When that switch is thrown, the Xantrex can not be fed by the batteries to power the inverter, and the Xantrex charging function from shore power, or the Onan, to the batteries will not work.

If that switch is thrown, and you are on battery power only, your remote display in the cabinet will not power up. What I can't remember, is whether or not that display will power up if you are on shore power or running the Onan, even with that rotary switch is selected off. I just took our View to the storage yard today, bad timing...

When you said your cabinet display was lit, was that with shore power on, or on battery only?

And, what is the pictogram on your remote display showing when you are on shore power with no battery charging?
Ontario Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2024, 03:38 PM   #11
'21 View 24J

bnkview - I can't find any reference to the inverter in your posts... is the inverter working - does the inverter power your AC outlets?
Old 10-23-2024, 03:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Hi bnkview - Congrats on your new motorhome.

Yes, the Onan and shore power use the same coach battery charging system - the Xantrex 2000 Charger / Inverter.

The Xantrex is connected directly to the coach batteries, and that connection can be severed if you use the large rotary disconnect switch located down on the floor by the battery master switch and the coach step power. (It is not labeled.) When that switch is thrown, the Xantrex can not be fed by the batteries to power the inverter, and the Xantrex charging function from shore power, or the Onan, to the batteries will not work.

If that switch is thrown, and you are on battery power only, your remote display in the cabinet will not power up. What I can't remember, is whether or not that display will power up if you are on shore power or running the Onan, even with that rotary switch is selected off. I just took our View to the storage yard today, bad timing...

When you said your cabinet display was lit, was that with shore power on, or on battery only?

And, what is the pictogram on your remote display showing when you are on shore power with no battery charging?
Sounds like good info here!
Do you know WHERE the inverter connects to the batteries?
If it is after the cutoff switch, do you know where that point would be or where the monitor panel gets it's reading?
Part of the good info for the 12VDC they no longer support online after the 2010 year.
Old 10-23-2024, 04:07 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

What would be nice to know is WHERE the connection between inverter and batteries and monitor is done as it changes how we might look for the break if there is one.
It's a bit of extra work to get to the monitor connection or the inverter connections.

Name:	invconn.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	190195
If we knew the break is between the inverter an monitor, we need to check different places than if the connection is at a different point. Red versus orange?
If we can access the DC at the inverter, that would be one way to tell if the connection tot he battery is good or not and or whether the problem is that the monitor is not giving us the right info?
Put I suspect it is not fun to get the inverter off the ceiling of a compartment, just to do a voltage check. I would like to suggest something to reach much easier than that!

I guess one could try looking at the coach battery voltage with power from cord or generator off as well as solar not adding charge.
Then if you plugged in or started the generator, with still no solar, we could expect to see the battery voltage jump up if the inverter is charging!
At that point if the monitor is not also seeing a jump in the voltage, one would have to assume it is a monitor problem, not a battery charge problem.

Not a handy way to sort things when info would make it so much easier to find those connections without taking the inverter down and out!!

Maybe a call to Winnebago would let them tell you where there is a handy connection to check the inverter DC output that should go to the batteries to charge them??
Some folks do report good response to things like that.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
bnkview - I can't find any reference to the inverter in your posts... is the inverter working - does the inverter power your AC outlets?
I tried sending an earlier reply but it got stuck somewhere in the abyss so this may end up as a duplicate. I did not use the inverter by itself during this issue. It was always plugged in. If by "when the switch is thrown" you mean turned on. It never was on, always off. The Xantrex panel would always light up whenever we touched the power button but when left for some time the screen would go to sleep. I know we have to learn the whole inverter/charger system but were just worried about powering the batteries at the time. IF we toggled through the middle screen, a value of 13.5 approx would show but did not know what that was referring to exactly but assumed it was a battery voltage display. But the two voltage level displays above the refrigerator were dropping pretty steadily. This is my 5th RV and have never had an issue like this as I only dealt with straight forward converters that did their job when plugged in.
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM   #15
'21 View 24J

bnkview - I'm referring to the large Xantrex charger / inverter rotary disconnect switch down on floor, at the coach entryway. Beside the battery master switch and retractable step control.

Is this rotary switch on?
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The rotary inverter switch was never on. Other treads said the charger must be on to charge the batteries but I assume they mean in the Freedom X panel or possibly somewhere else. I can't imagine the inverter would need to be on while plugged in. I figured it would be either or as I think you referred to in an earlier thread.
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Xantrex Freedom X 2000, part# 817-2000
Freedom X document library

From memory, it should have 2 lights on the front panel, one to show inverter is on, the other to show charger is on; it will be explained in detail in the operating instructions..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM   #18
'21 View 24J

That rotary switch allows the batteries to power the inverter - and shore power, or the Onan, to charge the batteries.

If that switch is not selected on, your inverter will not be powered from the batteries - and shore power, or the Onan, will not charge your coach batteries.
Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Ontario Don and Ray IN. Well I feel pretty silly if it is that easy and should have read the manual from the beginning. Having the inverter ON is counter intuitive from my previous experiences when the inverter was a stand alone device that strictly allowed me certain amount of wattage when I had no other source of power like shore or generator. It appears that when plugged in then that the inverter ON transfers between shore power and if interrupted to the batteries. So, to confirm, that although the inverter is ON it will first pull from shore power as the default and switch as needed to the batteries all while charging the batteries at the same time?
Thanks to all...can't wait to confirm at the coach and not start pulling wires and panels!!
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Good info may be the main thing missing?
If you did not get the big bag of info that should travel with the RV, that can be a killer on understanding the newer systems.
If this is not on hand, this link will get you to an online versions of the owners manual as a start but then there should also be a book for several different parts of the RV, like tires, chassis and the charging system.
Those can be critical but likely have to come from different builders if not passed along with the RV.
From the online Winnebago owners manual:

Name:	info.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	190206
Like a new computer, it's tough when there are no directions and they have changed the process!

That's top of mind for me as I have spent the last month or more trying to get details on a new Win11 and what is online is NOT what mine does.

Tags
inverter, xantrex, view