Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-01-2023, 07:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD Slide Stuck Open

I’ve got a 2004 Itasca 40AD - 3 slides, HWH system. Brought it home to clean and pack for a weekend trip, rolled the drivers slide out and it stopped about 90% from being completely out. Hit the “in” and “out” buttons, can hear the pump running but no movement (maybe just slightly, 1/16” of an inch). I can hear a tweaking noise underneath like it’s trying to move. The right side slide does the same, pump runs but no movement at all. Bedroom slide works fine.

Checked batteries and connections, charged overnight to be on the safe side, 12.4v under load.
Checked fluid, all good.
Checked all fuses and connections (that I could find or knew about), all good.
Tried to release the extend & retract valves to manually push slide in and not gonna happen - 4 big boys couldn’t budge the thing.
Unplugged the control switch from the BR slide that works and tried it on the front slides and no change. Did the reverse with the front switches to the BR slide and verified that the switches are good.

I’m out of ideas. I’ve researched all the threads I could find relating to my issue, and lots of good help out there just haven’t found the exact scenario as mine. The rig is stuck in my driveway so taking it to a repair shop isn’t an option until I can get the slide in.
Any help would be appreciated.
Wannabango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 09:22 PM   #2
Site Team

If it was me, I’d call in an experienced mobile RV tech. They see all manner of slide issues and will come to you.
Old 05-01-2023, 09:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

That would be awesome, if there was an experienced mobile rv tech in the area.
Old 05-02-2023, 09:32 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

There's a user over at the iRV2 forums named AZPete who works for HWH and in the past has been very willing to help owners. Might check over there... he posts his contact info/phone etc.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:17 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabango View Post
That would be awesome, if there was an experienced mobile rv tech in the area.
Here's a few - Not a recommendation, just a listing:

Mobile RV Repair
(316) 882-8161

JMJ Mobile RV Service
(316) 409-8730

Affordable Mobile RV Repair
(316) 218-3565
Old 05-02-2023, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I would call Stuart service in ellkart Indiana they specalize in HWH slides they may have an idea.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Problem Fixed

After much discussion with shops, techs, even AZ Pete, it was decided that I had a bad cylinder and needed to start the process of removing basement parts to get to my cylinders and start testing. The one thing that everyone agreed on, was that if my leveling jacks still worked - which they did - that it could NOT be my shuttle valve. Decided that for $100 it was worth replacing it to find out. BOOM! Fixed the problem, all slides work.
Very simple fix, something I probably should have checked from the beginning.
Old 05-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabango View Post
Decided that for $100 it was worth replacing it to find out. BOOM! Fixed the problem, all slides work.
Very simple fix, something I probably should have checked from the beginning.
Which was the “it” that only cost $100 that fixed the problem? The cylinder or the shuttle valve?
Old 05-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

After a year of not being used, my slide would act exactly the same. I first tried the KISS principle. I used the blunt end of a large punch to hit the valve several times while DW worked the switch. After the 4th tap the valve freed-up and began working. It has continued to work ever since.
I look at it this way; if it isn't working, I can't break it by trying the free fixes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 09:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Which was the “it” that only cost $100 that fixed the problem? The cylinder or the shuttle valve?

I read it as the shuttle valve, but after re-reading it I understand your question. This is some good information to have stuck back in the cranial matter.

Tags
slide, itasca