Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2024, 02:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2009 Journey 39z Windshield leak?

So I have a 2009 journey and I have a slight water leak that follows the top rail under the plastic windshield Mldg. Its not a big one but I want to get it fixed. My son resealed the marker lights but dont think he had good coverage. I also had the side cap sealed and body tape across the top cap also. I had the windshield professionally sealed. However the guy said you truly cant get the sealant in there without pulling the glass. He also put a bead under the mldg.

That stopped the leak in the passenger corner but I still have it in the center. The coach is also on a downward angle. My thoughts are taping up the marker lights and seeing if that does it.

My other option is finding a shop in the Midwest that can do this type of repair? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Windshield Leak

More likely the seal has failed on the windshield because of rust and deterioration of the frame. Was a very common problem the 2000s. We had a 2004 Journey and had Winnebago do the work. the windshield have to be removed and the odds of breaking are about 50%. We had the one that did not have damage from a rock break when being removed. Marker sealing is a good start.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2024, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2007 Itasca, W24 chassis. I had a persistent leak somewhere along the windshield. I tried removing the top rubber strip and adding sealant, but to no avail.

My motorhome has a two piece front windshield. A glass shop replaced the driver's side windshield due to rock damage. Once the frame was exposed, it was definitely rusted and required sanding and painting before the new windshield could be installed. It solved the problem, no more leaks. I suspect that your problem will be as a result of corrosion.
Old 07-29-2024, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

More than likely your correct. except I had a glass company seal it and seal the rubber mldg to the body. The coach hasn't moved so no body flex. I would assume that would of sealed. I knew that wasn't the be all cure all but putting a bead on the mldg should of stopped it. Actually it has for the most part. My coach is also on a dqwn ward angle. The weather bound 4' tape I used on the top of where the cap attaches is still good. The end cap calk is also still good. I am wondering if its the actual marker lights
Old 07-29-2024, 11:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Easy to check the markers. Use a fan in one of the windows to pressurize the interior of the MH. Then use soapy water around the markers and see if any bubbles appear. I've used this in the past and it works very well. Good Luck on finding your leak.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

FWIW, Winnebago beds in windshields just like autos. The non-hardening black bedding/sealant comes in caulking gun tubes.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 01:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGolfer View Post
Easy to check the markers. Use a fan in one of the windows to pressurize the interior of the MH. Then use soapy water around the markers and see if any bubbles appear. I've used this in the past and it works very well. Good Luck on finding your leak.
Funny I have owned my auto facility for 38 yrs. Before that I ran big car dealerships and learned all the cool ways to fix wind noises etc. we use to turn the ac on full blower and take your palm of your and or soapy water and go along where you thought the leak was. Pressurizing does work
Old 07-30-2024, 02:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Something to consider... most "windshield leaks" in Winnebagos especially with rusted window framing and not windshield leaks at all. They are leaks where the front cap connects to the body. Water comes in, slowly runs to the front of the RV and down in windshield frame.

Sometimes its the seal on the roof where the cap is attached to the roof. It can also be the Clearance Lights on the front of the cap. But one of the most likely and easily ignored is the top side of the body on both sides where the roof radius and drip rail contact the side of the front cap.

The way to fix this is to remove all the caulking on the side of the cap at the roof radius until you can see inside the cap and then fill that entire area with the appropriate silicone sealant. I used Manus Bond 75M on mine and it completely eliminated any "windshield" leaks.

Here's the area I'm talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Radius Caulking.png
Views:	12
Size:	782.2 KB
ID:	189501  
Old 07-30-2024, 05:37 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Something to consider... most "windshield leaks" in Winnebagos especially with rusted window framing and not windshield leaks at all. They are leaks where the front cap connects to the body. Water comes in, slowly runs to the front of the RV and down in windshield frame.

Sometimes its the seal on the roof where the cap is attached to the roof. It can also be the Clearance Lights on the front of the cap. But one of the most likely and easily ignored is the top side of the body on both sides where the roof radius and drip rail contact the side of the front cap.

The way to fix this is to remove all the caulking on the side of the cap at the roof radius until you can see inside the cap and then fill that entire area with the appropriate silicone sealant. I used Manus Bond 75M on mine and it completely eliminated any "windshield" leaks.

Here's the area I'm talking about:

I used foam backer rod to fill the void and provide a stop for the sealant, this way there's only approx. ½" of sealant back under the cap instead of an unknown amount.
For some reason Winnebago class A MH's have a poor fitment of the cap to roof joint on the radius.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, leak