Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2024, 03:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 Sightseer 30A Leveling System Problems

I have a 2012 Model 30A Sightseer with Leveling System problems. I believe the Leveling System was manufactured by Power Gear. I have had the motorhome since it was new and never had any issues with the leveling system until now.

I can extend the jacks and level the coach with no problem. The issue comes when I try and retract the jacks. The two front jacks come up fine, but the two rear jacks only come up part way. The light that indicates that the jacks are down goes out, but the rear jacks still have a way to go, perhaps still 3 or 4 inches to be fully retracted. I can push the "RETRACT JACKS" button again, the "JACKS DOWN" light will come back on. Sometimes the jacks will come up an inch or so and the light will go out again, the two rear jacks still not fully retracted.

I've assumed that when you push the "RETRACT JACKS" button that 4 valves must open and then the large springs pull them up. That seems simple, maybe it's more complex than that. Is there a chance that the two rear springs have lost some of their tension with age.

Any help will be appreciated.
gtompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2024, 03:49 PM   #2
Site Team

The springs can lose strength and not do a good job of retracting the jacks. That's relatively easy to fix and you'll find a lot of videos on YouTube illustrating the process. It involves a lot of wooden clothes pins believe it or not.

I suppose it could be a problem with the solenoid valves, as well. I haven't heard much about that being an issue unless the jacks have problems both extending and retracting.

Before thinking you need to head to the nearest Winnebago dealer you should realize that there are many truck repair shops and hydraulic shops that can work on these things in a more cost effective and timely manner.
Old 07-27-2024, 08:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Since there is a chance the springs are not as strong as they used to be, I might favor a cheap trick to test that idea?
If one were to try to move them up and find it failed, would it be practical for you to do some testing under the RV? What I might try is building some form of fulcrum for a long beam like a 2X4 to fit across and pry up on the jacks.
Or maybe you have a spare bottle jack handy to see if it is a fluid movement problem in the solenoids or if it is just the springs.
Add upward pressure in some way to help the springs if they are weak!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 01:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

On my 07 coach the right rear jack acts about like you are talking about. The difference being the control panel lights and sound stay on until jack is up.

I believe my springs are alittle to weak to move the jack without some help. Before I begin to raise them I spray the jack shaft with silicone slide out lube. So far this has work going on 2 years now.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 11:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
Since there is a chance the springs are not as strong as they used to be, I might favor a cheap trick to test that idea?
If one were to try to move them up and find it failed, would it be practical for you to do some testing under the RV? What I might try is building some form of fulcrum for a long beam like a 2X4 to fit across and pry up on the jacks.
Or maybe you have a spare bottle jack handy to see if it is a fluid movement problem in the solenoids or if it is just the springs.
Add upward pressure in some way to help the springs if they are weak!
I tried fulcrum idea in the campground, could not find anything long enough to be of much help. I will try the bottle jack idea. Thanks
Old 07-28-2024, 11:25 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I'll try that also. Thanks
Old 07-28-2024, 05:17 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I wipe my jack posts down with silicone or WD40 if they are going to be exposed for any length of time, it won't hurt to do it a couple of times a year. The springs are notorious for getting stretched out a bit over time and weakening as well as the rams getting a bit sticky. The easy fix is to replace the springs, it works in most cases.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 05:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My power gear jacks have a grease zerk for lubing the slide. I give them one or two pumps each time I lube the chassis.
Clydesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 10:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I hadn't noticed a "zerk", I'll look closer.
Thanks for the feedback.

Tags
ems, leveling, problems, sightseer