Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2013 Journey Slide Rollers

Hello,

I have a 2013 Journey 36m, when I put the passenger full body slide out it hangs up and jumps twice before being fully extended and same when it goes back in. I had it into my local service shop and upon inspection they noticed that when the motorhome was built one of the slide rollers under the slide were mounted in the wrong spot. On the bottom side of the slide they put reinforcement plates for the slide support rollers to roll on, but one of the rollers is missing it’s plate by almost 12 inches and now the roller is hanging up as it’s hitting another plate. I contacted Winnebago and they told me there is nothing they can do for me, and my service shop will need to remove the whole slide to fix this problem. Getting quoted around 15,000$ for a factory issue from when the motorhome was built is very upsetting. Has anyone ever heard of something like this before? Thank you, Jacob
JacobB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Attached are pictures. You can see in the 1st picture where the plate is and where the roller is rubbing. The other picture shows the plate the roller hangs up on
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6324.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	190096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7557.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	190097  

Old Yesterday, 10:25 PM   #3
Site Team

Welcome and I’m very sorry for your problem. However, your RV is 11 years old or stated another way… 10 years out of warranty. So, it’s not surprising that this repair would not be covered by the factory.

Did you purchase the motorhome new back in 2013? Because if not, there is no telling what various previous owners have done to that slide when it was in their hands. I realize the shop is saying it was built wrong at the factory but really there is no way anyone could be totally sure of that unless they’ve been in possession of the motorhome the entire 11 years.

If it was improperly built at the factory then one has to assume that side has never worked correctly this whole time. Including when you first acquired it. Is this an issue that just recently started being a problem?

$15,000 is a lot of money and sounds high for that kind of repair. You might consider taking the RV to the factory in Iowa for service. They are best suited to fix things like this. And while they've said they won’t cover the cost, if they see it as their fault they very well may perform the work at a reduced cost.
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I will have owned it for 1 year next month. I completely understand where you are coming from, but I don’t see in this particular situation how a previous owner would have cut the tabs off that mount the roller and move them over. You can see wear “rub marks” on each plate from the rollers and you can clearly see in this picture that there isn’t a single scuff on the one plate. I guess moving forward my plan is to take it to a few other shops and get some quotes and decide what to do from here. If all else fails I will see how I can get the motorhome back to the Winnebago factory, just not easy being in Southern California. I appreciate the reply. Thanks

Tags
journey, slide