Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #1
JourneyJockey

2016 Journey full-wall slide dead

First off, I have done my due diligence and searched, but haven't found a solution. My apologies if it's been posted and I missed it.

Just had service done on this slide because it had a hesitation mid-travel. Got ready to leave our current location, and the slide wouldn't come in. No noises, alarms, flashing lights anywhere. The circuit breakers weren't tripped. The only ones I found were in the rearmost driver's side storage bay. I located the slide controller, version 13398-C2, but no flashing LEDs to indicate a fault. And I couldn't see a mode button.

I haven't found anything else related to the slide. I happened to have a new rocker switch to actuate the slide, but switching switches didn't help. An RV mobile service is coming tomorrow if needed.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. We haven't had this coach long enough to have learned much, unfortunately.

Thanks, Tom
GeezerRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Team

It's a long shot, but since you just had the slide worked on you should check that the plugs for the wiring into the controller are snug and snapped in all the way.

I had some work done on my motorhome - at the Winnebago factory in Iowa no less - and they didn't secure all the wiring into the controller. After I left the service center my slide was working intermittently. I located the controller and gave each wiring plug a push and sure enough one of them wasn't fully seated. Once secured everything went back to normal.

The factory techs weren't even working on the slide, but the slide controller was immediately next to the work they were doing on the BIM solenoid. I guess they unplugged the controller or just knocked a plug loose while working in the tight space.

It's really a long shot but I thought I'd offer it up as a possibility.

Do your other slides work normally?

Old 11-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #3
JourneyJockey

CreativePart, the other two slides work with no issues. I checked and all of the connections to the controller are fully seated and snug.
Old 11-14-2021, 10:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This drawing seems correct for your Rvand slide wiring. If mine, I wouold want to first verify battery and ground are getting to that control as shown on this drawing:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ire_183594.pdf

Click to get better view?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide power.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	181306  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerRider View Post
CreativePart, the other two slides work with no issues. I checked and all of the connections to the controller are fully seated and snug.
Can you manually retract the slide as shown in the video?
Old 11-14-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
JourneyJockey

Morich, I verified that 12V is present
Old 11-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #7
JourneyJockey

I can push the button, and get the flashing LEDs, but nothing happens when I try to close the slide.
Old 11-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #8
JourneyJockey

The diagnosis is a failed controller. Hoping to have it in on Friday.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:57 AM   #9
JourneyJockey

The new controller was installed. It's giving a fault code that says to set the stops. The mobile RV guy doesn't know how to do that with this controller. Anyone have a clue about how to do that?
Old 11-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

In my first year (2010) shakedown of owning the RV, I made about 5 trips to the dealer for little punch list items (25 miles away, not too bad). On the third such trip, my largest slide would not retract. No error lights, just dead. I learned how to manually retract it that morning.

At the dealer, they took care of my fix-it list, and then tackled the slide issue. They looked and looked, finally found one of those plastic connectors with wires going to the front slide motor was loose. It was under the refer, not the easiest to get at. Snapped it back into place, no more slide issues of that sort.

Sounds like your issue was a bad controller. If I remember correctly, there is a sequence explained in my manual on how to reset the slide motion set points. A series of button pushes?? Check the manual, or call Winnebago. Good Luck.
Old 11-22-2021, 04:29 PM   #11
JourneyJockey

Problem solved

It was the sliding bed interlock switch! Even though the bed was moved all the way over to the driver's side, a bad switch failed to get the message across.

Thanks to Shane at Shafer Mobile RV Service in Grants Pass, OR
GeezerRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, slide