Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-18-2024, 09:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Awning Track Lube Needed?

My power awning chatters and makes groaning noises when bringing it in, from the tracks on the wall. Is it advisable to lube the tracks and with what? I don't want to use anything that will attract dirt. Will Boeshield T-9 work? Or is this normal?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:10 AM   #2
Site Team

It’s both common and in need of some lube. Mine does this as well. I’ve been meaning to get some dry lubricant on that track but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:24 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
It’s both common and in need of some lube. Mine does this as well. I’ve been meaning to get some dry lubricant on that track but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
I have some T-9 and also some PB Blaster dry Teflon, which would you use?
Old 07-18-2024, 10:27 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You can plan to do it once but take some trouble to get the exact right one or just go with doing it easy and more often!
I always have WD40 handy, so we just went with easy and whatwe had, even though it was not a long lasting lube as so thin.

But it was okay because I had the Wd out so often doing the door latches and hinges, etc.
Just one more spot on a list of hundreds?
My wife proposed I should just set up a dip for the whole RV! Since WD is good for removing bug splats, she might be right!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 10:36 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm pretty well equipped with a multitude of lubricants but I've been so hesitant to use them on the RV due to hearing about dirt attraction. I believe I bought the T-9 for the slide seals a couple years ago but I have yet to open it! I believe I'll try the PB Blaster dry Teflon.
Old 07-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

3-in-one makes a great line of rv spray lubricants. I am a believer in their slide out silicone lube. I use it on the slide out parts and on the hydraulic jack parts. I know walmart carries their product along with Menards, I would think others carries it also.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2024, 03:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
3-in-one makes a great line of rv spray lubricants. I am a believer in their slide out silicone lube. I use it on the slide out parts and on the hydraulic jack parts. I know walmart carries their product along with Menards, I would think others carries it also.
Good to know, I'll hold off doing anything till everyone has chimed in. Maybe I'll be adding yet another lubricant to my stash
Old 07-18-2024, 08:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
You can plan to do it once but take some trouble to get the exact right one or just go with doing it easy and more often!
I always have WD40 handy, so we just went with easy and whatwe had, even though it was not a long lasting lube as so thin.

But it was okay because I had the Wd out so often doing the door latches and hinges, etc.
Just one more spot on a list of hundreds?
My wife proposed I should just set up a dip for the whole RV! Since WD is good for removing bug splats, she might be right!
Rich, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a water displacement product that until dry is very flammable, when dry it is a thin waxy film sealer that prevent arching from electrical wiring.
WD40 does sell lubricants and various other product, but the term WD40 covers a wide swath of products.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2024, 08:37 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I use spray silicone on mine. I want to say it called it out in the manual, however, I wouldn't swear to it. I typically lube mine once a year, more often if I hear noises.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Rich, WD40 is not a lubricant, it is a water displacement product that until dry is very flammable, when dry it is a thin waxy film sealer that prevent arching from electrical wiring.
WD40 does sell lubricants and various other product, but the term WD40 covers a wide swath of products.
The only way it is flammable is if you put a flame to it as you're spraying it like everything else in a spray can
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 05:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
My power awning chatters and makes groaning noises when bringing it in, from the tracks on the wall. Is it advisable to lube the tracks and with what? I don't want to use anything that will attract dirt. Will Boeshield T-9 work? Or is this normal?
Here's what Carefree Colorado says in their awning service manual.
"Periodically wash out the channels with running water (i.e. a hose) to keep them clean. If the arms still do not move easily, lightly spray the contact and pivot points with a dry silicone lubricant after the arms have been cleaned and dried thoroughly.
Larry 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 09:53 PM   #12
Ronzo

Just a quick note...Houdini lubricant...on Amazon...does not collect dirt...recommended by the Tech @ Rick's RV in San Diego, CA.
Old 07-25-2024, 04:26 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I agree. At the Winnebago Rally this year, Carefree had a Q&A seminar, the presenter was pretty emphatic to use nothing but soap and water on your awning mechanicals. Everything else will attract dirt and grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldfeat View Post
Here's what Carefree Colorado says in their awning service manual.
"Periodically wash out the channels with running water (i.e. a hose) to keep them clean. If the arms still do not move easily, lightly spray the contact and pivot points with a dry silicone lubricant after the arms have been cleaned and dried thoroughly.
Larry 2014 Reyo P
Scubadude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2024, 05:30 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
The only way it is flammable is if you put a flame to it as you're spraying it like everything else in a spray can
Nope, not quite. I once sprayed wet ignition wires with WD40 to dry them off so they didn't' cross-spark. I didn't wait long enough for the WD40 to dry and when the engine started a cross-spark occurred and caught the WD40 on fire. No damage, but exciting.
reference: https://firefighterinsider.com/wd40-flammable/
and: https://files.wd40.com/pdf/sds/mup/w...voc-us-ghs.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning