Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2023, 02:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Awning wired backwards?

2018 Intent 26m
Power awning, the rocker switch is backwards. You push on the IN end, and it goes out, push OUT, and it comes in. Removed the rocker switch, thinking I could swap a couple of wires, but there are several wires, all yellow, and I think one white. Looks like maybe there are 2 motors, one at each end of the awning? Any one run into this before?
I might just make a couple of labels, and black out the wrong info on the switch with a black marker.
Dirtdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 03:17 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Some of these switches are mounted within a bezel that has the 'in and out' printed on it. If so - perhaps turning the switch will give you a fix.

Otherwise - with 2 yellows (is that a few??) (12 V power) and 1 white (ground) try switching the yellow wires...

Unusual to have more than one motor on an awning - check to see what wiring is running down the awning arm - a heavier grade wire will be motor - a lighter gauge will be for lights (if installed in the roller bar).

Let us know what results - we all learn!
Old 05-13-2023, 05:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Usually the rocker switch runs to a control box which does the actual work powering the awning. If that's your setup, maybe the wiring issue is there. Often just one motor with the control box reversing the polarity of the current to run the motor in reverse. Again, that's the way it works on my Carefree system, might be different on yours, but try looking in your bays for a box.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Make sure your awning didn't get rolled in backwards. On mine, if you roll it out and don't let go of the switch it will roll back in backwards. Of course if yours has a plastic cover it won't fit right when it does this, which is how I figured it out.
Old 05-13-2023, 10:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

The thing about the awning having been rolled up backwards is interesting. I definitely need to check that, as it sounds like a possibility. There are more than 3 wires, more like 6, which is why I decided not to play with them. I do think that these wires go to some control box. I will report back when I get the motorhome where I can extend the awning all the way out. Thanks for the input!
Old 05-14-2023, 08:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Lot's of cases of awnings being rolled in backwards https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+a...&ie=UTF-8#ip=1
Old 05-14-2023, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for that link bigb. Saw the video correcting the rolled backwards awning. Shows rolling from the bottom. Thats how mine is. So I am now confident that is the issue. Glad I didn't start switching wires around!
As I mentioned before, the motorhome is currently parked near a wall, so I will address this next time I take it out.
Thanks all!
Old 05-18-2023, 12:22 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I have your exact same model. Just take the switch out and flip it over and reinstall…no need to we’re it…

Tags
awning