Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2024, 02:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cargo Compartment Weight limits 2002 Journey 36DL

I've looked and can't find an answer to a simple question. Hopefully someone else has researched this. What is the weight limit for each cargo compartment? I have a 2002 Winnebago Journey 36 DL. Can't find the answer in the Owner's Manual or any blogs. Makes sense to load the heaviest items to the ends where there is more support.

Thanks
Gary Gilb
Gary Gilb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:15 AM   #2
Site Team

I've never seen any mention of any published weight limits for compartments. Another variable is Winnebago uses different materials to form and attach the compartment sfor different motorhome models and even different model years.

The heaviest items... the batteries are usually mounted separately on a heavy duty metal battery tray - not in a standard compartment.

Good luck finding any published weight limits but if you find any please report back and share that info here.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:40 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have never found that info anywhere either.

But, I have the same RV as OP and I have, in the 2nd from the front passenger side compartment, a full Craftsman 26" X 20" X 12" tool box, a bunch of other hand tools surrounding that tool box, some power tools, than all the liquids like oils and antifreeze, a few boxes of screws and whatnot, all in that one compartment and though I've put thousands of miles on the road, I don't see any signs that the compartment floor is sagging.

And I check that periodically. Like just now. It's fine.

I also used to own a '94 Bounder which had a pretty bad rust problem and the same tool box, tools, sundries and liquids rode in one of those compartments too, without sagging the floor.

My other compartments have not shown a tendency to give way either. The weight of the items in the two compartments under the LR slide (drivers side) are a bit less. I've got carpenters work stool, lumber, items for towing, 5 gallons of oil, hoses and the like in those.

So I would guess with the Journey, it's not too much of a worry. We also have those shelves in the passenger side compartments that should be able to carry even more weight because the floors of those are directly supported by the chassis frame rails.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:29 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have never seen a limit. I have one very large cross-unit compartment with a sliding tray. I seem to recall having seen a 1500# limit on the sliding tray? My batteries are underneath that compartment in their own area. I just use common sense and try to space my loads out.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 05:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We have 2003 Journey 36 DL, my black bag book says don't put more than 200lbs in the bays under the 12 foot slide. The bays come out with the slide.
That 12 foot slide is 1/3rd of our outside cargo capacity.
The slide is a flat floor with a couch and a dinette so my thinking is they want to keep the weight down on the slide.
Personally I try to keep the weight down in the 12' slide bays but I probably have 500 lbs under the seats of the dinette.
The pump/slide creaks and groans on the first 5 inches of coming in and getting level but after that it's fine.
I carry my tool box and a 75lb bbq in the second bay back on px side, the floor seems to accept that fine it's at least 175 lbs .
The area between the rails seems extremely strong, I've stuffed 250 lbs of beer in there and never had it shaken up.
dick
Old 06-19-2024, 06:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Wow...12 cases of beer? Pretty impressive!
Old 06-19-2024, 08:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

The only weight limit I've seen is for my 20' slideout with basement compartments, that weight limit is 300# in the compartments.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:54 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
I have never seen a limit. I have one very large cross-unit compartment with a sliding tray. I seem to recall having seen a 1500# limit on the sliding tray? My batteries are underneath that compartment in their own area. I just use common sense and try to space my loads out.

Aaron
I checked my sliding tray; "800# Evenly Distributed". Now I am wondering what I saw the 1500 on?

I haven't seen anything on my other compartments.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, weight