Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-03-2024, 07:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Excess water in Hot Water Tank

Earlier this year I was fixing my hot water heater (6 gal) on our 2014 Sightseer 30A. After removing the drain plug and opening the pressure valve to drain the tank, I stuck a hose connected to a manual plunger to extract the remaining water in the tank (a YouTube video had indicated that there would be some water left, about a gallon, which I would encounter when replacing the heating element. I was able to extract most of it, but even then when I unbolted the heating element from inside under the sink, there was still some water that spilled out into my collection tray.

Why am I writing this thread? Well, now I am in the process of winterizing the rig. I am planning on blowing out the lines with my compressor (method 1) and then doing an antifreeze fill (method 2). But neither instructions in the operator guide for method 1 or 2 indicate if that excess water will be driained or remain in the hot water tank.

Thoughts?

Jon
Jleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If there is water left in the tank it should have plenty of room for expansion
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 05:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Shallow water in the WH or fresh tank after draining will freeze and hump-up/expand towards the center instead of pushing outward, thus it will not harm anything.
Remember; utube videos are there to make money for the owner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water