Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2024, 04:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Forza mud flap/ rock guard

I have a 2022 Forza 36 . I need a rock guard to protect my jeep while towing. Problem is the Forza has an exhaust pipe that exits out the back. Can't find anything to fit. Has anyone found something that works? Thanks
Snipechief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 05:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I found that my Forta was too low for a rock guard to hang . Bought a guard that went across the tow bar .
Old 07-26-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Pictures and or brand you used?
Old 07-26-2024, 05:25 PM   #4
Site Team

Hey, you may want to do some looking around at opinions on Rock Guards on Class As. There are many that believe they do more damage than good. But do your research and decide for yourself.

Here's a thread about this on IRV2:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/roc...er-641032.html
Old 07-27-2024, 03:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I bought 2 cheap mud flaps at a truck stop, cut them down to fit, and installed them behind the duals on both sides. They work much better than the wide flap ever did, without kicking up stones when driving on a crushed stone section of road.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2024, 06:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I use a BluOx KarGard on our 2019 34T. Works well.
rstolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 04:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've never considered one after inadvertently running this test in the wet NW area in my car, following RVs on the freeway on my many journeys back and forth to visit family in eastern Washington from Portland on I-84. I would follow closely behind while observing operation of the RV, sway, porpoising, leaning, etc.. I'd never driven a big rig and was curious how they handled.

And during rain events I discovered something following the many RVs not towing. If there was a broom style across the bottom rear of the RV, I'd be pelted with big rain drops in a continuous pattern pulled up off a wet road. Drenching my windshield. Then if I followed one with the full side to side rock guard, I'd get my windshield gully washed every few seconds. Finally, following RVs with JUST the mudflaps behind the duals, I wouldn't see any excess sploshing of my windshield. None.

I verified this on gravel roads but staying quite a ways back, even then the same sort of thing, but small rocks hitting the windshield with the full rock guard, and small pebbles from the broom style. And none from those simple mudflaps, generally none would hit me.

When I bought my first Class A, I remembered that accidental test and had no interest in adding one. And that's proven to be successful for my towed even with many trips to and back from Alaska, and on gravel roads. My toad has so few rock hits, and they are so tiny, as to be unnoticeable.

However, I do take caution when I'm behind someone on a gravel or pebbled road staying way back so the front of my RV is protected. Especially if they have the full rock guard.

And the cost? Huge difference. For the mud flaps from the OEM: $0. For the various types of rock guards? A couple hundred to nearly a thousand. And the type that mounts on the front of the towed or on the tow bar? You need to store them, and install them whenever you go camping. Some are easier to install/remove then others.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2024, 05:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Jim. Nice write up. I think if I have the time I'll go with just some homebrew mud flaps like you and others have suggested, or maybe nothing at all at this time. I appreciate your response. Thank you.
Time is running out before our trip to CA from E.TN, and I ve git a lot of irons in the fire right now. Our Forza has been at the dealership for 7 mo ths in the 9 months weve had it. I still have lots of little things to work on and also servicing it before the trip.
Lots to do to our property also. Really looking forward to the 2 month trip we're were planning. I've got a brand new Jeep Wrangler for our toad so I'm just a bit concerned about the rock chips.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:38 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Sounds like your RV is at Camping World. If I've guessed right, don't leave it there. Go recover it before they damage it any further. They are regarded as having the worst service in the country and from all the complaints I've read about them over the last 20 years of full timing, I believe those hundreds of complaints I've read. I've also witnessed the terrible job they did on my brothers RV and other poorly done work for friends and from posts on RVing forums. Take it to any local shop other than them. Deal directly with the manufacturer for warranty issues. Check RVServiceReviews.com for reports by your peers and Google 'Complaints about [RV repair shop near you]' for further reviews before taking your RV anywhere.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2024, 05:52 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No actually it was at A&L in Johnson city, TN. Absolutely by far the worst place. Service dept. Don't ever go there.
Old 08-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yeah, I see from a google search they have a rating of 1.6 stars out of 5. Not very good. They have some BBB complaints too. Note that their 'sales' rating is good, but that doesn't often translate to good service.

Ralphs Mobile RV repair service near you has a 5.0 star rating from 32 reviews. If you can reclaim your RV easily, I'd suggest Ralph's.

Old 08-06-2024, 05:36 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info.
We bought it new in OCT 2023. It's a 2022 model and it had 1500 miles on it. Didn't know it at the time but it went to a few rv shows.
On our test drive before purchasing it there was a coolant alarm (low). I told the sales person it needed to be checked out. The steering wheel was off center by about 20° I told her about that also. The bedroom door was warped and couldn't be closed or opened. They told me winnebago was great because they make there own parts and the door would be ordered.
Right before our planned trip to CA, about 2 weeks before I started going through the bus. I started it and immediately got a low coolant alarm. I went aft to inspect and found coolant leaking out of the side of tbe radiator. I had to have it towed to a Freightliner service center where they found the radiator cracked.
They ordered a new one and that took 1 month. The radiator came in and it was defective so they ordered another one. All in all the bus was there 2 months and our trip was scrubbed. They did finally get the new one in and it's working good. Then there wasn't any shops to do the steering wheel alingment in this are so they had to drive it to Knoxville to center the wheel and do an alingment. That took a week.
We finally got on the road and everything wad going OK until flagstaff az where I noted a sewage leak in the wet compartment. I was able to empty the black tank so I could determine where it was leaking from. It was a real mess and did I mention I was laying in the snow and sewage trying to find the leak and make repairs. I found the rubber coupling from the black tank to the the black tank valve loose and had partially slipped off. All of the hose clamps were only hand right and I could move the coupling easily. I finally got that re connected.
During the way over the refrigerator walked our of it compartment and took the trim around it with it. The trim was just stapled in and was the only thing holding the reefer in place. The reefer wasn't even bolted down. We had to prop it closed every time we got underway. While still at flagstaff I heard water dripping behind the shower stall. I called for a rv service Co but nobody wanted to or even tried to call me back. So I removed the shower mixing Valve plate on the inside of the shower and found water was leaking from above somewhere inside the wall. The main system control panel in the hallway enclosure was the only way to acces inside the wall so I took it off and found the connection to the showers head was leaking, and it was leaking right on all the electronics boards. Not good. So we went from flagstaff to Bakersfield ca without being able to use the onboard water system . We had to use water from Containers to flush the toilet, dishes and what not . Very inconvenient. Finally at the Bakersfield camping world they found the nipple going to the shower head was only in by one turn of the thread. They fixed that and we got underway after waiting 3 days to get that repaired.
We hit a bump in the road and the fireplace came unmatched and both of the cheap plastic latches sheared off, so for the next 5 weeks while drivng we had to use a recliner chairs footrest to brace the fireplace. What a pita. Couldn't walk around the bus while traveling and our dog wouldn't go aft to her bed because when the fireplace fell down it hit her, so she stayed between us up front between the driver and passenger chairs. Next the washer and dryer wasn't bolted down and trying to use it was impossible. When the washer went to the spin cycle it shook the whole bus and walked out of its compartment. We had to deal with that the rest of the trip.
Other problems noted exterior wall above the main awning cracked, bedroom and dinning area slides have cracks visible on tbe exterior wall on the lower corners, wifi booster inop, most of the interior windows screens don't fit and fall off, galley led flickers, both windshield wiper blade arms fell off the 1st time we got into rain in traffic. That was extremely dangerous. I had to replace those at $90.00 , the plastic part that held them in place were broken, the house water pump stopped working, water leaks in most belly compartments when in the rain, the front temp thermistor was bad so we could oy use the bedroom Ac and heat, that was real fun, the driver side mirrior was completely loose which I repaired, front hood can't be accessed by one person, because the latch won't release, the list goes on and on. Oh the big one was a ground on the bedroom slide motor that I was very Concerned about for the whole trip
Finally back home from that trip in the 3rd week of March we brought it to A&L for repairs and we just got it back last week. 4.5 months it sat there waiting on BS parts.
They finally got the replacement bedroom door in after 9 months. So once I got it home I noted the bedroom slide ground was still present . The reefer still isn't secure and the trim comes right off. Ive had with this whole experience.
Old 08-06-2024, 05:41 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Here's some pictures of a few items
The reefer trim, ground on slide, and what posts to be sawdust from the particle board on tbe inside glass of the fireplace that winebago won't cover. Real nice guys.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240802_161307.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	189534

Name:	20240805_092925.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	189535

Name:	20240805_093058.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	189536
Old 08-06-2024, 06:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about no breaks in my post.
Old 08-07-2024, 05:36 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

If it is still under warranty I would suggest taking back to the factory.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2024, 05:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
If it is still under warranty I would suggest taking back to the factory.

Aaron
It is, and I have considered it. I'm just repairing stuff myself. We have to go to California due to my Daughter is having a baby and we must be there. As it stands right now I think I've got everything repaired to get us down the road without any problems except the rear slide indicated ground on the diagnostic center. Slide still works.
I have spoken to the new service manager and will be bringing it in this morning for them to look at it. I told them it would not stay there more than 2 days. She has agreed to get on it quick. If it needs a new board, I'll just use it as is. Hopefully I'll know something today. Got my fingers crossed.
Old 08-07-2024, 01:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Now there saying it needs a new control board. Which of course must be ordered. I'm wondering if it was ever repaired as the work order suggested it was. They supposedly fixed loose connection and set the slide travel switch. That was whe it was at the service side of the dealership. Then it went to the collision side where they had to pull the slide off for Repairs. I bought it figuring the switch got messed up once they put the slide back in and the travel switch might have needed adjustment again.
Then the call that it "probably " needs a new control board makes me think they never fixed it in the 1st place .
I am at a loss .
Old 08-07-2024, 02:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

As of 1630 hrs the dealership said its fixed and ready to be picked up. I'm skeptical but ready to end the yo yo effect.
Old 08-08-2024, 10:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Just to finish what I started here, I got the MH back this morning. The service dept said it needed a new board, aling wirh a new slude motor and wiring harness from lippert. No parts available.
So they said they put in loaner board and was told everything was working and they would order parts, and I can go on our trip.

Got home on rbe ev pad and tried the bedroom controller and they have the the motor wired backwards. The out arrow is now the in and the slide in means out.
The thing is someone had to close that slide and must have noted this discrepancy. Great service team. Totally shocked.

Back to the original inquiry about a mud flap.
I've decided I've got enough drama going on right now to deal with it, so we'll go with nothing. Maybe it works maybe it won't.
Thanks for listening