Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-12-2024, 05:17 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Heads up Display- I missed that one

Been RVing in all types of RV's for well over 40 years. Had our current 2016 38Q since it rolled out of the factory. I've always been frustrated with the dash and instrument panel layout with as we know the dark area around the instrument panel that is hard to see. I constantly have to take my eyes off the road to look down at the instrument panel or to check the large GPS screen down and to the right making sure I am in the right state and haven't missed a turn and got into somehwere like California from here in Georgia. It tends to make for much excitement as I wander into another lane or off onto the right side rumble strips when I get to checking gauges and stuff.

Until last week I thought the only place I could ever see, and the only person that had- a heads up display- was Tom Cruise in his fighter jet in Top Gun. Somehow I got wind that I could put one in this Class A of mine which surprised me. I went on Amazon and found a whole raft of them available for reasonable costs that would not break the piggy bank.

So I ordered one and the next day the DW and I set it up. The thing actually works great especially for speed, RPM's, and engine temp. Some of the readings are in metric, but I can change them.

Wish I had been aware of and installed a HUD many years ago. Eat your heart out Tom Cruise! I too have a HUD in my Bago/Fighter jet!!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2024, 06:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Have had HUD in my GM vehicles for years. Special windshield makes it much clearer. Was in pontiacs and top of the line Chevy since 1999.
Now not around so much, and not in my Jeep GC.
What aftermarket brand do you recommend?
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 05:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmlunt View Post
Have had HUD in my GM vehicles for years. Special windshield makes it much clearer. Was in pontiacs and top of the line Chevy since 1999.
Now not around so much, and not in my Jeep GC.
What aftermarket brand do you recommend?
Bill
There are a variety of different brands out there and my choice was sort of pot luck- not driven by price or features. The one I got is a Chinese thing (nameless box it came in). Amazon lists it as "Head Up Display, Car HUD P8, OBDII & GPS Dual System, The 1st Model in The Market Can be Installed on A-Pillar Trim (2)" as a wiiyii brand ? I still have a lot of fiddling to do with it but so far I love the speed, RPM and engine temp features. I locatced the screen down and a bit to the left of direct line of sight and that seems to work fine for me.

I never did figure out how they set it up on the A pillar. I set mine on the dash just behing the defroster vents. Am on a long trip with it now and so far no gripes.

All I can say is it works. Its a bit clunkly getting the settings off metric and on to metric, but once done its sure better than what Ford and Winnbago left me with LOL.
Old 08-13-2024, 05:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the info! Need something for my jeep!
Bill
Wmlunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2024, 06:20 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Type in Head Up Display for Cars on Amazon and a whole page of them will pop up with different features
Old 08-13-2024, 06:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Used the HUD in my ACE MH a few years ago. It was great, the hardest part was trying to find a great location for it and the reflective material used on the windshield. Once all was found it was GREAT
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote