Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-23-2024, 03:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic Leak on 2005 Adventurer 37B (Workhorse)

New to the forum, been lurking for a while and just decided to make an account in the hopes of someone having the information I seek. What I have is a new to me 2005 Winnie Adventurer WPG37B which is the Workhorse chassis and the 8.1 Vortec engine.

The entire hydraulic system (HWH) under the driver's seat was covered in fluid and leaking when I bought the camper. Been using it regardless, as the system still works, it just leaks. I figured it was like a helicopter, if it stops leaking then I get worried!

Today I threw a drain pan under there, sprayed a couple cans of brake cleaner to, well, clean things up. I topped off the fluid then opened the slides as well as lifted it up on the jacks. I can see no leaks along the hoses to any of the cylinders, at the moment the only leak I can obviously make out is atop that aluminum block which holds all the solenoids.

The actual leak is around one of the bolts, which is tight, so I am assuming there is a washer/seal that has gone bad. I am going to attempt to attach a photo since I am sure my descriptive skills are lacking. Its easy enough to see where the fluid is emerging from around that bolt on top.

I am also wondering if this will be the cause of the jacks losing pressure over time. I can level it out in the evening, and by the following evening the rear passenger side jack will have retracted some. Over the course of a week it has even started to retract several inches off the ground if I don't give it a bump.

Hoping that's the cause of my woes, which will just leave me to deal with the myriad other things I need to tend to!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240923_152146.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	443.5 KB
ID:	189945  
Wintermute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 05:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I took a look at the diagram for your MH on HWH's site. You can access it here under your MH year and model #: https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2005_diagrams.html

It looks like your leak is coming from what's labeled as manifold A on the diagram. I can't tell from you photo exactly what's leaking. You said it was from a bolt and, if it is, I would think the source of the leak is from a gasket between the manifold and the pump allowing fluid to travel up the bolt.

To answer your question, this leak could easily cause your jacks to lose pressure over time. The leak will also deplete your hydraulic fluid supply over time and may cause your slides to fail in either the in or out position. Until this is fixed, I'd make sure you keep your fluid topped up. HWHcorp.com has manuals you can download.

azpete is a member of Winnieowners who is an HWH employee. He's been a big help to me and others on HWH issues. It doesn't look like he's been very active here but it looks like he's currently active on IRV2.com a Winnieowners sister site. I suggest you PM him and, if you're unsuccessful here, try doing so through IVR2.com (I think your Winnieowners sign on will work). If he's still active, you may be able to contact him via this info that was posted on IRV2.com:

Contact Paul at AZPETE on the Irv2 forum. He works for HWH and can answer your questions. His email is [email protected] and his phone number is 602-549-3638. He is a Commercial Member and has posted that his phone is always on, and if not answered, leave a detailed message.

Failing that, I'd call HWH. They've been very responsive to me over the years although some mentioned some issues in getting ahold of someone to help them during Covid. Hopefully they've recovered.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2024, 06:43 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
SNIP

Thanks for the link! It does leak from the bolt atop the manifold, fourth one over which appears to be the left rear jack. That is the only source of the leak as best I can tell, kind of strange it says LR but my RR is the one that I know loses pressure. Left everything fully extended and plan to check again for leaks in the morning. Should be easy enough to see since I have cleaned the grime away.

Unfortunately it doesn't show a part number for the seal/gasket beneath the bolt. I will probably end up reaching out to the gent you linked since I would like to have some torque specs once I manage to find replacement parts. Definitely wishing there was more room to access things under there so I could take a better look! Again, thanks for the links!
Old 09-23-2024, 06:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's another parts source for you. They were able to supply a couple of solenoids to me when HWH couldn't during Covid:

HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Old Today, 03:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Finally had some free time to look into this again. Tried emailing several people and struck out, so it was back to the internet for manuals. Found one which has a lot more information, and at least helped me come up with the proper terms!

Those four bolts where my leak is occurring are called check valves. There is the cap (bolt head) with o-ring, a spring, and a poppet with an o-ring according to this manual. When I removed all four of my caps I found the o-rings were ruined, which explains the leaks. However, I did not find a spring and there is not another o-ring around the poppets.

The manual came from HWH website and is allegedly for my system. This means either someone lost the springs when they had the system apart previously, they reinstalled them beneath the poppets which will require me to fish around with a magnet for them, or this system is somehow different? Aside from the leaking it works as advertised without the springs and o-rings.

I'll try to get some more photos later, going to head into town tomorrow for some o-rings at the very least. Worst case I guess I will have to call HWH and get on the waiting list for a tech call so I can figure this mess out. Going to attach the image from the manual with the breakdown so there is a visual aide. Maybe someone else will have an answer, or will some day in the future find this useful, then my suffering will not have been in vain! lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20240930_150424.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	189990  
Old Today, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Another image real quick so maybe my rambling up above makes more sense.

Cap, o-ring, and poppet. No spring. Not even a groove on the poppet for an o-ring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20241001_160850.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	390.3 KB
ID:	189991  
Old Today, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Since you know exactly what you need, you might want to call Stuart's Supply if HWH is backlogged.

Are you going to replace all the check valves?
Old Today, 05:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Since you know exactly what you need, you might want to call Stuart's Supply if HWH is backlogged.

Are you going to replace all the check valves?

I will probably give them a call tomorrow. I'd planned to visit a local hydraulic place in the morning for some o-rings just to get things closed back up. I would be curious to see what a replacement valve comes with!

Tags
leak, workhorse, vent, hydraulic, adventurer