Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2024, 07:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hydraulic slide issue 2007 Journey

I have a 2007 Winnebago Journey with hydraulic slides. The issue is I need to toggle the extend/retract switch numerous times to get the slide to move. Does this sound like a solenoid issue?
Jbykerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Without the info on which of the 2007 Journey you have we can't do much looking to see what you have, but some general ideas may fit?
One is that there are several things in the slide operation and the solenoids are kind of the last step when they open and close.
To make that happens the first step is the power and wiring to get the signal to the solenoids.
Perhaps it is just that I understand the switch and wiring better but I would much prefer to look at making sure the signal was getting to the solenoid before I went into the underneath part to sort trouble with the solenoid!
First thought for me would be that I don't know WHICH solenoid while I do know where the switch is and that makes me go there first to test the switch and make sure it is not just something as simple as the wire on the back has broken loose?

Many of us can spot if a switch is working but I would feel less sure if I could spot a bad solenoid!
Both could wear out or break, so I go for the one that fits me better and save the worst for last! But that is based on what I know and my experience and yours may be different. Do you have hydraulic experience to work on that end?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply. The Journey is a 36G with two driver side slides. I do have a pretty high mechanical aptitude but 12 volt kind of makes me crazy. I will call HWH tomorrow for their input.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:47 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I have replaced my Bedroom slide switch twice so far on my 2005 36G. I purchased this switch from graingerRocker Switch: Rocker Switch, DPDT, Momentary On/Off/Momentary On, 6 Connections, Black, Black
Item 10C583Mfr. Model VLD1S00B-AZC00-000 $7.32 each
My symptoms were the same as you are having. I also read in other threads that the switch was a common problem. I have 2 spares.
The bedroom slide switch is a pane to get to. I had to go from the bathroom and move the plumbing aside to get at the backside of the bedroom switch to replace.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2024, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Don,

Switch replaced and problem solved.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Jim
Old 05-29-2024, 08:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim, you might find this useful to keep in your records. Winnebago-Specific HWH slide room extension service manual.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2024, 07:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ray I'm having trouble making that link work. It appears to be an hwh sourced link, but comes up HMMM Can't find this
Old 05-30-2024, 11:17 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
Ray I'm having trouble making that link work. It appears to be an hwh sourced link, but comes up HMMM Can't find this
The above link works for me.
Old 05-30-2024, 11:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well now it's working for me as well... Thanks
Old 05-30-2024, 05:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Yea, HWH was having server problems for a time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 12:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Ours was doing this exact thing until it wasn’t. Slides were out and staying there.

This isn’t just for Winnebago owners, but many of the Winnebago branded RV’s have HWH hydraulic slides. Ours is a 40’ 2007 Itasca Horizon KD motorhome. We did call HWH Service first and a tech called us back several hours later the same day. He advised us as far as he was able, but the problem wasn’t resolved. The next day we called back trying to get parts information and we still haven’t received a call back after two days. I’ve read it can take days and even weeks to get a response from them. I should also mention that we’ve had three different local rv techs out working on it, two made the problem worse and the third will hopefully get us back up and running tomorrow.

After searching online I found a post on the Winnebago Owners Forum from 2020 regarding similar issues and recommending Stuart’s Services, out of Elkhart, IN. I can’t recommend them highly enough. I wasn’t even sure they were still in business, but I called, Andre answered and within ten minutes had what we needed on the way to shipping overnight. That didn’t totally fix the issue, thanks to tech #1, we learned we also needed a new motor and again, one phone call told us they’d have one the next day. He called to verify we wanted to pay the overnight shipping and we had it in hand by noon today.

Andre is professional, knowledgeable and very responsive, which in our experience is somewhat rare in the RV industry. So if you need help or parts for your HWH hydraulic slides or levelers, give Stuart’s Services a call.
HWH Replacement Parts - Stuart's Services
Zoomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2024, 07:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Had the same problem with my '02 Journey with HWH. Didn't change any switches as two bad switches strains coincidence and both my slides seemed to hesitate when the switches were pressed. What it was, was a corroded ground stud near the HWH hydraulic manifold. Removing all the solenoid grounds and cleaning them and the frame area did the trick. The ground stud broke off when I tried to remove the nut so I drilled a couple new holes and tapped them for new screws.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, slide, hydraulic