Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-18-2024, 06:32 PM   #1
Andy May

Key on or no key? 2-Door Jeep TJ Toad

I finally had the NSA Brute Elite 11 installed and we are ready for our first trip. Tow vehicle is a 2dr Jeep TJ behind our 2012 Winnebego Adventure 35P.

I have heard turn the ignition key onto the first stage on the Jeep?

Thoughts?, rationale?

Thanking you in advance,
respectfully

AM
ATONOFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

As the steering wheel will need to turn and let the front wheels "follow" I would assume you need to leave the key in the right position to do that!

But it never hurts to verify any info you get, so a test is a good thing.
When the key is off, can you turn the steering wheel without it locking? I would guess not as that is a safety design for when we park on hills and should turn the wheels toward the curb to avoid runaways!
The problem if you allow this to happen while towing, the wheels will lock in the "parked" angle and slide from there forward!
Make sure they are unlocked as that lets the follow the RV around corners an not scrub the tires bald!

Good idea to also check the Jeep owners manual for any other details that might be needed. Look in the index under recreational towing on lots of brands!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes the TJs have locking steering wheels and the first position on the key unlocks it, the second position turns on the ignition and the third position cranks the starter. There are You Tubes out there showing how to remove the lock cam so you don't have to tow with the key in, it's actually pretty easy.

The newer Jeeps don't have the steering wheel locks, I guess Jeep realized they are the #1 toad and stopped with the steering wheel locks to make them more tow friendly.
Old 06-19-2024, 09:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATONOFUN View Post
I finally had the NSA Brute Elite 11 installed and we are ready for our first trip. Tow vehicle is a 2dr Jeep TJ behind our 2012 Winnebego Adventure 35P.

I have heard turn the ignition key onto the first stage on the Jeep?

Thoughts?, rationale?

Thanking you in advance,
respectfully

AM
The ultimate authority is your owners manual for your specific vehicle, it's in the section "recreational towing"/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, door