Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leveling jack trouble

Hi, I’m new to owning an RV. I just recently bought a low mileage 04 Adventurer 35U. I had it out a couple of times at this point and the only trouble I’ve had is with one jack returning to traveling position. It happens to be the front driver side jack. It came up once without issue, but twice it has stuck in the down position. The only way to raise it when it sticks is to select the button that raises the jacks and the use something to help assist the jack upward. Like a pry-bar…. Any suggestions? Are these supposed to be greased or anything?
JamieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieC View Post
Hi, I’m new to owning an RV. I just recently bought a low mileage 04 Adventurer 35U. I had it out a couple of times at this point and the only trouble I’ve had is with one jack returning to traveling position. It happens to be the front driver side jack. It came up once without issue, but twice it has stuck in the down position. The only way to raise it when it sticks is to select the button that raises the jacks and the use something to help assist the jack upward. Like a pry-bar…. Any suggestions? Are these supposed to be greased or anything?
When my RV was new and during the PDI; the mechanic sprayed some lubricant on the shafts of mine while they were down. I think he had a Spray Silicone, but he told me not to worry about unless I was in a really dusty type situation.

I would check the hydraulics to ensure no leaks and plenty of fluid, but my moneys says you have already checked that.

May be a good time to learn how the manual override works as a contingency?

Good luck,
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:18 PM   #3
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
When my RV was new and during the PDI; the mechanic sprayed some lubricant on the shafts of mine while they were down. I think he had a Spray Silicone, but he told me not to worry about unless I was in a really dusty type situation.
My Lippert manuals says to spray with silicone, which I do religiously, probably far more than I need, but especially when staying the salty coast…
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB16E7D0-7218-4A2D-BDF1-8C3806428DEE.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	180716  
Old 08-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You have an HWH jack system which uses the hydraulic pump to push the jacks down, but springs on the jacks to raise them. As some have said, a light coating/wipe of silicon spray will help.

If the problem persists, you may have to replace the springs on the jack. HWH systems of your vintage did have a problem with weak springs that were fixed in later years by a stronger spring design. I had to have mine replaced years back for the same issue.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
“ When my RV was new and during the PDI; the mechanic sprayed some lubricant on the shafts of mine while they were down. I think he had a Spray Silicon, but he told me not to worry about unless I was in a really dusty type situation.”

My Lippert manuals says to spray with silicone, which I do religiously, probably far more than I need, but especially when staying the salty coast…
I think I will spray mine once a year, maybe when I change oil as part of maintenance.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3/Tire Patrol; Roadmaster Nighthawk; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; 300ah Lithium; Orion XS; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 03:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

On my 07 Meridian I have a rear jack that likes to lag behind the other three. About every other time I will spray with a silicone base spray, that takes care of the problem.

I am sure the springs are getting weaker as the years go by, but have not read anywhere if replacing them is a diy project or not. So the spray will be the key for now.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks everyone for the responses. I will try the silicone lubricant suggestion.
JamieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:41 AM   #8
Site Team

The jacks each have grease zerks at the top seal. I make sure mine are greased at each chassis lube. I have never sprayed the piston on mine, perhaps I should at some point.
Old 08-31-2021, 07:00 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
I am sure the springs are getting weaker as the years go by, but have not read anywhere if replacing them is a diy project or not.
Actually this process is documented on the internet. With the jacks extended you place wooden clothes pins on the rungs of the spring. Then retract the jack leaving the clothes pins to keep the spring expanded.

Here’s a post on IRV2, this guy used wooded blocks, but I’ve seen others with clothes pins.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f104/rep...-a-480616.html
Old 08-31-2021, 09:25 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Read up on how to manually open your solenoids at the HWH manifold. The older solenoids you use the end of the HWH reservoir dip stick to open them up. Its keyed. The newer solenoids have a flip lever. With the pressure released you can then assist the jack up. I had two jacks that were very stubborn getting up even with the valve open. I had to pry under them to work them up.

If your jacks are having a retract issue do not leave the system on for long periods of time. You will burn up the solenoids. I did that. The solenoids burned out and there fuses on the main board blew.

I replaced all my springs with the newer style. I used two tire irons and eased the foot off the bottom of the jack. Installed the new springs and worked the foot back on with the tire irons. Got very good at it and had all the springs changed in less then an hour.

I bought 4 new solenoids. Ended up replacing both passenger side jacks. The system now works as expected.

Tags
leveling