Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-21-2024, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Modding an Emergency Exit Window?

I have a 2011 Vista 36D. Love this coach. It has a nice roomy bedroom. There is just one thing I hate. The emergency exit window is at the head of the bed. It is cold in the winter, hot in the summer, light seeps in around the shades and I am always banging into the shades at night.

I am thinking about removing the valances and the shades and building a padded headboard. I would hinge it at the bottom and put some latches at the top to be able to easily access the window in an emergency.

Does anyone have any opinions on this mod, or have a coach with a similar window that they have done something different with? Or do you just live with it?
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 08:48 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

My only concern, is in an emergency time is of the essence, and critical for survival in some cases. The worst case scenario being it’s dark, you have to move fast, and can’t find the latch quick enough, or it won’t unlatch.

Maybe a magnetic latch would be better. Then just a tug and it would fold down out of the way…?
Old 01-22-2024, 04:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If the pictures I saw of different vistas, it looks like your head and the window are in the slide out.

Heres my thoughts on the emergency exit windows. I myself am 75 rather chunky (fat) there is now way in h... I would fit through one of those windows let alone one above the bed. Have you tried a "fire drill" to see how long it would take you and others to exit through that window. For me it would be faster and safer to grab a blanket wrap around me and run to front door. Once these units catch on fire its seconds to get out.

To answer your question: I would make it livable for you, maybe make something the size of the window, get black out drape cut to size. I guess what I am saying is concern yourself more with the light and cold than exiting.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 08:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post

Maybe a magnetic latch would be better. Then just a tug and it would fold down out of the way…?
That is a good suggestion. I will look into it. Maybe I can find a way to make the whole thing magnetic, or velcro so it can just be pulled away.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:46 AM   #5
Site Team

Will you ever sell your motorhome? If so, modifications to a mandatory Emergency Exit could potentially be problematic.

The Emergency Exit is on the other side of the motorhome from the entry door or on the back of the motorhome. This is so if the motorhome turns over on its driver’s side blocking the main entrance door in an accident the occupants can get out without breaking out a window which could cut you when exiting the RV. It is a federal requirement. So, you need to think plenty hard about any material changes to that exit.
Old 01-22-2024, 08:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I'm sure the safety exit is a good idea but then I look at what is most likely to happen and know that I will never use that in a fire!
I would look at working the question from different angles considering what yu are likely to do!
Can you see getting that window open and going out?
If true, perhaps look at ways to cover the window. Do you want to have access to the window for light or air? Then you are pretty well stuck but if you never care about opening it, you have options.
One option we have used is cutting foamboard just tight enough to press fit in the opening. To make it easy to remove, we cut a slot if the foam, passed a nylon strap through the hole and attached it on the back side. The fastening stays better if done that way that if you are pulling directly out of the fasteners!
Our current thinking it to avoid that style of slide as we never got really good at making the temperature stable as well as too much noise, so we avoid buying that style!
But it did take living with one before we found what we wanted to avoid!

For safety, when we admitted that we would never use the window, we beefed up the protection at the front near the stove, etc. where we felt fire was more likely. Alarms near the engine and near the stove, etc.
Swapping out that Rv was the best step, though!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 09:37 AM   #7
Site Team

While I’m sure the Emergency Exit could be used in a fire its general purpose is an Emergency egress opening in a RV on its side.

Your RV turns over on the passenger side and there are no exits because the main door is on the ground.

So, while fire safety is always a concern the placement of an exit window is mandated to provide emergency egress.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:28 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
While I’m sure the Emergency Exit could be used in a fire its general purpose is an Emergency egress opening in a RV on its side.

Your RV turns over on the passenger side and there are no exits because the main door is on the ground.

So, while fire safety is always a concern the placement of an exit window is mandated to provide emergency egress.
... didn't know that. Nice post.

I open my emergency window at least annually and put ArmorAll on the seals. I have had them stick to the extent I thought they would break before opening.
Old 01-24-2024, 02:08 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I think a custom black out curtain would be the safest and easiest mod. Something you can quickly jerk down and away. A heavy one would also reduce any cold air movement.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 04:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I made a headboard out of foam board which my wife made a cover for. It is held in place by two screws and it can be broken away from the wall in seconds.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:12 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

I understand the logic here, but if yhe motorhome turned over on the entry door, that would place the emergency exit window firstly overhead about 10' up if you count the 8' width and yhe 2' slide. How would you ever get up there to get out?

In my previous rv that was a 5th wheel, the emergency exit was on the same side as the entry door. I mounted a 50" TV on yhe dresser in front of the window and just enjoyed my home theater/bedroom.
Old 01-28-2024, 05:42 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by be happy View Post
If the pictures I saw of different vistas, it looks like your head and the window are in the slide out.

Heres my thoughts on the emergency exit windows. I myself am 75 rather chunky (fat) there is now way in h... I would fit through one of those windows let alone one above the bed. Have you tried a "fire drill" to see how long it would take you and others to exit through that window. For me it would be faster and safer to grab a blanket wrap around me and run to front door. Once these units catch on fire its seconds to get out.

To answer your question: I would make it livable for you, maybe make something the size of the window, get black out drape cut to size. I guess what I am saying is concern yourself more with the light and cold than exiting.
You may surprise yourself when the adrenaline cuts in. Trying a test run would be good but at that time you are worried about bumps, bruises so would not be as aggressive.

Tags
window