Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-25-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

"Need Help Locating Spark Plug and Air Filter for 1989 Winnebago Chieftain - No Start

Hello community! 🌟

I'm facing issues with my 1989 Winnebago Chieftain – it attempts to turn over but won't start. I suspect it might be the spark plug or air filter. Could someone guide me on where to find these components?

If possible, please refer to the attached pictures for better insight. Your expertise is highly appreciated!

Thank you all for being an amazing community, and I'm grateful for any help provided.
Kennyjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 09:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Kennyjojo,
The 1989 Chieftain (brochure) appears to have a Chev 454 V-8.
You will find some good training information in the video below.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 01-25-2024, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The air filter will not prevent starting; to check this, remove the air filter and attempt to start engine again. A dirty air filter will reduce gas mileage and available power on hills.
Plug wires OTOH will cause starting problems when they begin to leak voltage. Don't forget the ignition coil when checking plug wires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

We often do not know what level of experience you will have, so to avoid missing some critical points, I sometimes assume the poster has very little !
Not meaning to tell you things you already know but not wanting to skip things that you need! Sorry, if it sounds like I'm treating you as a rookie when you already know lots about the RV game?

But the first point is to get the idea of RV being two separate parts and those parts may not all have the same year!
The truck parts are what we find on most any truck, then the RV parts that Winnebago builds on top may be called a later year! Big idea is that we need to know what year when we go to buy truck parts and it may be different from the RV parts!

Before buying parts like spark plugs, be sure it is for the right year! This can be found on a label on the driver's left side (if still there!) or in the chassis manual if you have it.
This will get you to the RV manual which tells how to read the label:
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...8Chieftain.pdf

Down about page 11 is the dope on the label and what it can tell you.
Click this snip to see better or go direct for the full story!
Click image for larger version

Name:	label.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	188274

There may also be a label out under the "hood" that has lots of engine info on it!

So starting, we need three things! Fire from plugs, fuel and air! Air is easy and we don't need to worry about the filter as it will run without a filter. It just keeps things like bugs out of the engine!

I think this might be a carb engine, so checking fuel can be as simple as looking down the carb as somebody pumps the pedal. Don't do this with key on as any backfire can go right into your face!

If you have fuel and air, check for fire at the plugs. Taking one out and holding it so it is grounded on the engine to look for spark as somebody cranks it, is one way to do a quick check without tools. I might use a pair of channel locks to keep my fingers back!

Hope that gives you some ideas that help get it going. Lots of small points after that may cause it so not run well but these three will often at least get it to try to fire and maybe start!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 04:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyjojo View Post
Hello community! 🌟

I'm facing issues with my 1989 Winnebago Chieftain – it attempts to turn over but won't start. I suspect it might be the spark plug or air filter. .
Your phrasing makes me question what is really going on
"it attempts to turn over but won't start"
is the engine cranking fast enough to start? Or is it cranking slowly?
If it's cranking slowly does it stop cranking followed by a clicking sound from starter solenoid?
Old 01-26-2024, 05:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decuct CoCo View Post
Your phrasing makes me question what is really going on
"it attempts to turn over but won't start"
is the engine cranking fast enough to start? Or is it cranking slowly?
If it's cranking slowly does it stop cranking followed by a clicking sound from starter solenoid?
Good point here! Got to get down to basics at some point and one I walked past without mention is that the engine has to crank before we worry about any of the other stuff like fuel and spark!
Turning over gets it down to a basic battery problem in many cases! Bad connections or bad starter can come in, too.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, need help, winnebago