Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New RV Owner

Hello to all, new to rv , just bought a 2015 Vista 36y. The rv is in Arizona won’t be here in Florida where I live until Sunday. I Never even drove one. Never the less you can say I am a little nervous ,any help would be appreciated . Thanks
Franksteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Welcome to the world of RV'ing. I am glad to see that you have found the forum. There is a lot of experience to be shared on this site. No dumb questions here.....you will suually find someone who has "been there.....done that", including mistakes and dumb stuff. Looking forward to seeing you post about your adventure.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Maneuvering is where you are likely to encounter problems. There is a lot of your motorhome is behind the rear axle. When you turn the tail swings out. Watch your mirrors. This applies either going forward or backing.

On the highway, it's just like a car. Keep it in the middle of the lane. It's wide so you can't let it wander off center.

Biggest problem will be side wind followed by the head wind off trucks going pass you. It's a bit like sailing. You have to anticipate and feel what the wind is doing to your motorhome. You want your steering inputs to be smooth.

Keep in mind that you are driving a 12 ton vehicle. Your stopping distance is substantially greater then an automobile. Keep enough space between you and the vehicle in front of you to safely stop.

It won't take you long to get used to driving your motorhome. Just don't get complacent.

Fuel stops can be a problem with a gas motorhome. Particularly if you are towing a trailer or a toad. A lot of stations are set up with the pumps angled towards the building. I try to avoid these by planning my fuel stops. I use Google maps to find fuel stations where the pumps are parallel with the highway. If you must use the other style, the outside row pumps are your best bet. Always have an exit plan in mind.

Welcome and have fun with your Vista.

Bruce
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksteer View Post
Hello to all, new to rv , just bought a 2015 Vista 36y. The rv is in Arizona won’t be here in Florida where I live until Sunday. I Never even drove one. Never the less you can say I am a little nervous ,any help would be appreciated . Thanks
There's a site called RV101 that's a treasure trove of basic RV how-to information and videos, even the basics of how to set your mirrors. I highly recommend it!

YouTube is also a wealth of information, including blogs of full-time RVers.

Welcome to the group and the world of RVing!
Old 02-25-2019, 11:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

If you've ever driven a large U-Haul or other rental moving truck (box style, not van style), it's similar. Stopping distance, lane changes and speed are critical. I suggest keeping to 55 mph on the highway. And signal, signal, signal.

Watch the videos that have been suggested.

Also, the ride is likely to seem pretty rough and you'll feel every bump and seam in the road until it's loaded for travel since your suspension is optimized for a load. Research weight, weighing and tire pressures on Winnieowners and IRV2. In the meantime, follow the tire pressures listed on your door plate. Although your tires shouldn't be too old, make sure the DOT codes match the age of your MH and that they're in good condition.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Take the time to watch this:

Also, most F53 chassis based RVs need suspension upgrades to make them a more comfortable drive. Start reading up on steering stabilizers, sway bars, the CHF, and Sumo springs. When you get the RV head out to an interstate where you will be passed by trucks. If the trucks are giving you the scare of your life, you will need to invest in some upgrades.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Take the time to watch this:

Also, most F53 chassis based RVs need suspension upgrades to make them a more comfortable drive. Start reading up on steering stabilizers, sway bars, the CHF, and Sumo springs. When you get the RV head out to an interstate where you will be passed by trucks. If the trucks are giving you the scare of your life, you will need to invest in some upgrades.
At the risk of re-stating myself, don't prejudge this until you're loaded for travel and have a little experience.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote