Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Today, 04:50 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

New Winnebago Tail Light Recall

Winnebago Recall 189

Yesterday's notice on the big 17000 rig recall for Winnebago Motorhomes seems to have caught my rig. I was curious if anyone has anymore information about the fix for the undersized tail lights outlined in the recall on the 2016 Adventurer.

I have not recieved any written notice yet, but my 2016 Adventurer seems to be smack in the middle of the recall.

I am curious as to what the recall fix entails- does the body of the rig require modification? Is the size of the fixture being modified? Any info on when parts will be available?

I'm hopeing its an easy enough fix that I won't have to drive hundreds of miles to an authorized dealer for the fix and have my rig sit on a lot for months on end, and that Bago will alow me to make an easy fix myself (fingers crossed).

Many more models involved than mine- https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/W...NTURER#recalls
Americanrascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:24 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
I have not recieved any written notice yet, but my 2016 Adventurer seems to be smack in the middle of the recall.

I am curious as to what the recall fix entails- does the body of the rig require modification? Is the size of the fixture being modified? Any info on when parts will be available?
This is pretty new - Oct 1 - and so not much, if anything, is known about the fix to come. I know many times in the past the recall is made official before a fix is devised. And, in this case, so many different models are included over a number of model years that there may have to be half a dozen different fixes created.

Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed November 28, 2024.

My personal experience with recalls has been lousy. It takes forever for a fix to be created, distributed, and to be available at a dealership. Then, dealers are overwhelmed with everyone wanting to come in at one time. Most of the time I don’t ever get the recall fix installed.
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'm a bit concerned about this one. While I am not convinced it is a major safety issue I am rather thinking about the mechanics and fit of the fix. I just went through a replacement of my dying 3rd brake light and finding a replcement fit was difficult and I found the body well for the light to be problematic.

I'm hoping this is a minor replacement that does not require body manipulation to the light well. It would be nice if it was something owners could easily put in without a lot of effort.
Old Today, 08:20 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Open to random guesses?
I might think this will be a slow one but not a terrible one! Rather than changing the total fixture, I think this may be a lens change!
Perhaps they change the shape of the lens to screw, snap, etc. onto the existing parts attached to the RV!
Think of it as a new cover for a light on the ceiling at home?
It may take some time to get the new mold designed and made to turn out a few thousand of them in multiple different shapes but once in hand, it may only take a dealer 30 minutes to screw the cover on!

But that's a rosy idea based on pure quesswork!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:48 AM   #5
Site Team

Here's the tail light assembly on my 2017 Adventurer. Perhaps they'll just put in brighter bulbs????? Because I'm not sure how they'll make the lenses physically larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adventurer Tail light.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	190014  
Old Today, 08:52 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I'm pretty sure its an LED sealed strip inset into a bezel and pod on my 2016. Looks the same as Creativeparts 2017. I too was wondering if they could just amp up the output and lens configuration of the same sized lamp size to satisfy the feds. That would be ideal. Sure seems to me that there is pleanty of tail light already on the rig. But I am dumb as brick on LEDs

Interestingly the tail light seems attached and rescessed into a bezel sitting into a "pod" which seems attached to the body. The LED tail light shares the pod with the back up lamp. There is not a lot of room to work with on the existing bezel and pod so I am guessing the pod and bezel will have to be and resized/ replaced with some modifed layout to recieve a new LED lamp, yet will still fit the mounts???? (per the parts drawing on the web site)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20241005_103508698.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	190015  
Old Today, 08:57 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

One other point- having done the 3rd brake light recently. Wiring is very easy- Just 3 butt connectors crimped and melted together.
Old Today, 09:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
Winnebago Recall 189

Yesterday's notice on the big 17000 rig recall for Winnebago Motorhomes seems to have caught my rig. I was curious if anyone has anymore information about the fix for the undersized tail lights outlined in the recall on the 2016 Adventurer.

I'm hopeing its an easy enough fix that I won't have to drive hundreds of miles to an authorized dealer for the fix and have my rig sit on a lot for months on end, and that Bago will alow me to make an easy fix myself (fingers crossed).

Many more models involved than mine- https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/W...NTURER#recalls
... probably won't let you do it. I remember the recall letter for the tire mount stating the work had to be done by a dealer.

I wanted to change my recalled spare tire mount myself. It's two U-bolts holding it onto the bumper. I ended up having to make a 100+ one way trip to the dealer to have it done. WBGO would only supply the part to a dealer.

I'm guessing WBGO/NHTSA would not consider the repair to be properly made unless done by an authorized person.

Tags
light, winnebago, recall