Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-27-2024, 03:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Water valve replacement on KitchenAid fridge

Need help replacing water valve on a kitchen aid fridge in a 2014 journey 36M
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a trick that takes some study!
What sort of help are you needing? It sounds like a place where I would need to get a bunch of info together and then decide how to move. Got the manual for your specific frig brand and model onhand ?
That likely gives an idea of how and what you are dealing with in the job.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2024, 04:18 PM   #3
Site Team

What valve? Where on the fridge?

Your best bet is likely to be going to the KichenAid Fridge support websites. There should be an easy to find sticker inside the fridge with your model number info. My motorhome can with a sheet of info in the Owner's Briefcase with lists of model numbers and serial numbers for major components such as the refrigerator.
Old 08-27-2024, 04:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply’s. What I’m having trouble with is getting the back panel off the fridge for access to the valve, through the small outside panel door. Any Suggestions ?
Old 08-27-2024, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Team

Short of removing the fridge from the cabinet, that little opening is all you have. That's where the water connection is usually. I guess you need something different than that.
Old 08-27-2024, 06:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Agree with above thought. I loked at the parts catalog drawings and spotted the water valve and then also saw the access. It looked small even on drawings!

So how about playing devil's advocate and ask if you are certain the valve needs changed?
What does the fault look like?
I assume no water gets filled and that brings the hope and prayer that it might be something like an electrical or other problem that might not require getting the frig out of the cabinet? A clog in the line, etc.?
I see a little needle valve that looks like for draining the line??? Have you got water there to prove out the line is okay to that point?
What are you seeing?
I have not probed any frig close to that, so really just thinking out loud!
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr dr.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	189721
Old 08-27-2024, 08:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Connected water and water started running across floor. Started looking for source of leak and found water in the area on the back side of the fridge. Thought I might’ve left the drain open but it was closed. Used tissue to locate leak and it was coming from the bottom of the valve. Now I just have to figure how to get to the valve without removing the fridge. Any thoughts?.
Old 08-28-2024, 06:15 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Go to RepairClinic.com they have videos that may help. You may have to pull the fridge forward to access it. On my home fridge, it is mounted in the upper corner, definitely not reachable via the access hatch.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2024, 06:56 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I might assume it will require pulling the frig for either but it may be helpful to know which valve seems to be leaking .
Is it the valve where you can drain the line to avoid freezing or the valve actually ON the frig which opens /closes electrically to regulate filling the icemaker?
One is likely to have small access and "might" be tightened, but the second is almost sure to be one to require taking the frig out!

One point may involve knowing the history of the RV and how it was setup if left in freeze zones. Valves are one of the things most prone to freeze and break if not drained.
It may make a big difference if the valve has frozen to break or if the fittings has just backed off a bit and might be tightened if you can get to it a bit.

Which valve and can you actually see it?

Meanwhile if wanting to use the RV, it may be practical to go near the filter and remove the icemaker line, cap it so that the RV water is okay to use.
Old 09-03-2024, 02:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

No need to remove entire cover on back of refrig . Just cut out what you need to access valve . Should be one water line going to valve and then another to ice maker . Turn off water and power . Locat valve and remove and install . Tighten water fitting and turn on water .Check for leaks . Replace cover with screws that were removed .
Old 09-03-2024, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
No need to remove entire cover on back of refrig . Just cut out what you need to access valve . Should be one water line going to valve and then another to ice maker . Turn off water and power . Locat valve and remove and install . Tighten water fitting and turn on water .Check for leaks . Replace cover with screws that were removed .
I may be missing the true story but I "think" what they have is a small access hatch on the RV side and they can't get to much of the problem without removing the frig inside!
This hatch?
Click image for larger version

Name:	frig dr.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	189791

I think the problem is they have this tiny opening with little room to get two hands in as the access is meant only for turning a needle valve to drain the icemaker line. No access to rear of frig?

But I'm up for correct at any time!
Old 09-03-2024, 06:13 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Yes I have done this on my 34T Forza. Open access door and you are looking at back of refrigerator. Valve is behind cardboard cover at back of refrig . Water valve access can be done if you cut cardboard . Will not be able to remove cove while as there is not enough room. By cutting it you can gain access . I’ ve done mine by doing this , but might be a different animal for the OP .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 06:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Yes I have done this on my 34T Forza. Open access door and you are looking at back of refrigerator. Valve is behind cardboard cover at back of refrig . Water valve access can be done if you cut cardboard . Will not be able to remove cove while as there is not enough room. By cutting it you can gain access . I’ ve done mine by doing this , but might be a different animal for the OP .
Sounds good, far better access to that valve than I was thinking!
But then we have never really gotten a firm answer of WHICH valve is leaking! Is it the valve to drain or the valve built on the frig to control the icemaker filling?
We know it got wet! But where and how is still open!
Sometimes getting the whole picture passed across is a biggie!
Old 09-03-2024, 08:02 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

My money is on the water line valve . Best to just have water line go to valve and eliminate that on/off valve . You can turn off water for repairs by simply turning off pump or waterline . Might also check that new ice maker valve has one gasket on incoming fitting or compression fitting is tight .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement, water, replace, ace, fridge