Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What is this roof issue 2005 Adventurer 35u

I have been doing a full reseal of the rv this year and despite me inspecting the roof yearly I seem to have something going on with the Filon Flexroof material. Only on back part of roof in photos. Any ideas about how it occurred and the best remedy would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7607.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	345.8 KB
ID:	189238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7597.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	189239  

Name:	IMG_7596.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	189240  
Joe.phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2024, 04:29 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I am assuming you are talking about the dark streaks? I noticed there are teees around your rig. Might it be dried up sap from the trees? I had that problem with mine and used mineral spirits to remove the sap.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 01:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
I am assuming you are talking about the dark streaks? I noticed there are teees around your rig. Might it be dried up sap from the trees? I had that problem with mine and used mineral spirits to remove the sap.
I agree, it's sap or some other surface contaminant. Unless it's delaminating or buckling, I don't think it's a major problem, and, even then, a few "bubbles" here and there aren't an issue in a 19 year old MH, especially if the edges, where the Filon is inserted into the aluminum channel are properly sealed. There are numerous posts on the edge sealing issue.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2024, 07:51 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanrascal View Post
It's better IMO to use turpentine to remove tree sap, etc. Turpentine is distilled from tree sap, contains no petroleum distillates, thus will not harm roof material when used as directed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Americanrascal, BobC, Ray. Unfortunately it is not tree sap. I have looked around and from what I can gather it is not something that can happen to the Filon Flexroof itself. What I have determined (photo included for better idea) is that at some point there was a fiber glass resin repair done to the roof and the roof was completed with polyurethane marine topside paint, most likely a two part. This obviously had a lifetime and it has reached it. I am in the middle of repainting the roof and will add it to maintenance from here on out.

Although, I do have suspicions that the damage occurred after an altercation that I had with the neighbor. Cannot prove anything but it looks as if someone may have sprayed something on the roof that damaged the paint.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7fffffffffffffffffffffffff593.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	189297  
Joe.phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
It's better IMO to use turpentine to remove tree sap, etc. Turpentine is distilled from tree sap, contains no petroleum distillates, thus will not harm roof material when used as directed.
Agree- good point!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:45 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We're happy you figured out the problem. Neighbor problems, even suspected ones are a problem.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, roof, vent