Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-02-2023, 04:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Manufacturer Warranties Are Getting Costly

Has anyone else noticed how few of the systems installed in their Winnebago are actually covered by the WINNEBAGO warranty? We keep getting shuttled off to others as Winnebago will apparently not cover repairs for things they have installed but did not actually build (except Truma & King Dome).

We have spent hundreds (actually now approaching a thousand $) in having to travel to various locations in country to get issues resolved in our 2023 Travato we purchased in late April, but actually did not hit road until early June.

The Cummins generator died at .4 hours and at 31 hours the generator is requiring service again. First issue required a 1750-mile cross-country drive to find a service center with a technician and parts to fix. The current issue is requiring multiple hour-long trips between our dealer and the Cummins service center to replace a less than $5 part. Because of distance -- each round-trip costs us approximately $75 (not including time).

The Truma heating/hot water system died with less than an estimated 16 hours of use. Truma ignored my requests for assistance (via phone and email) when error codes started appearing in September. Good news is that Truma finally responded to the dealer -- only to tell the dealer the parts to repair would not be available until "unknown" (no fixed ETA at this time). Not to mention - there is but a single authorized Truma tech in our area? Oh my!

The King Dome antenna system has never worked and dealer did not have tech to even give it a look when van was taken in of one of its multiple warranty service appointments (note: We bought van in late April and notified dealer of issues in May. Earliest dealer could get us in was late August). I subsequently diagnosed the King Dome system, provided diagnosis to dealer and they have (hopefully) ordered parts. Currently waiting for parts and a tech to install new antenna as to not void warranty.

The JBL sound bar did not work when we received vehicle. It took over four weeks to get replacement sound bar. And it was only by the kindness of the dealer's heart they let me swap the broken sound bar for a new one (note: hmmmm - two screws and two cables. I think my experience as an advanced electronics hobbyist/ham radio operator/tool guy qualifies me for the swap...)

Currently waiting for Dodge to complete software patch to (hopefully) resolve the uConnect issues of the system suddenly rebooting while in use. Plus still need to figure out why the chassis battery drains in a few days. Our current fix is a battery tender for use when on shore power or using the generator.

I have not included all the other things I was able to repair (mudflap fell off, bathroom doors fell down, parted wiring at electrical connectors, etc.).

Was our van and many of the systems in it built on a Monday or something? Or is this the new Winnebago -- where the QA department is now working from home?
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Its an old can of worms. You just happen to be the latest can opener. RVing requires patience, ingenuity, and sometimes deep pockets. Welcome to our world.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 10:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
Its an old can of worms. You just happen to be the latest can opener. RVing requires patience, ingenuity, and sometimes deep pockets. Welcome to our world.
Thanks for the response; however, we a not noobs. This is our 5th RV during over 15 years of near full time RV life. Three of the five have been Winnebago with little to none of the issues of our 2023 Travato. You are right about the "patience, ingenuity, and sometimes deep pockets". The Travato is requiring all to a much deeper level than we ever expected -- AND it is definitely the most costly of all our previous RVs.

Hopefully all issues will be resolved in the coming months as we can fully enjoy its compactness, ease to drive, set up, and off-grid capabilities (all the reasons we downsized...).

Be well!
Old 11-03-2023, 11:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I didn't mean you were noobs, just that this scenario isn't unique.
Currently own a 2018 Navion 24V, and have owned and sold a 2016 Sunstar 26HE, and a 2002 Roadtrek 190P, so I've also seen it all.
They were mostly great and had only a few problems, but that isn't always the case, as you've pointed out. It's funny what you miss in the PDI part of buying these things?
Someone once said,"ya gotta roll with the punches", and in the RV/motorhome world, that's also often the case.

Safe travels.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2023, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Have you considered taking it to the service center in Forest City?
Old 11-08-2023, 06:29 PM   #6
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoneer View Post
Has anyone else noticed how few of the systems installed in their Winnebago are actually covered by the WINNEBAGO warranty? We keep getting shuttled off to others as Winnebago will apparently not cover repairs for things they have installed but did not actually build (except Truma & King Dome).

We have spent hundreds (actually now approaching a thousand $) in having to travel to various locations in country to get issues resolved in our 2023 Travato we purchased in late April, but actually did not hit road until early June.

The Cummins generator died at .4 hours and at 31 hours the generator is requiring service again. First issue required a 1750-mile cross-country drive to find a service center with a technician and parts to fix. The current issue is requiring multiple hour-long trips between our dealer and the Cummins service center to replace a less than $5 part. Because of distance -- each round-trip costs us approximately $75 (not including time).

The Truma heating/hot water system died with less than an estimated 16 hours of use. Truma ignored my requests for assistance (via phone and email) when error codes started appearing in September. Good news is that Truma finally responded to the dealer -- only to tell the dealer the parts to repair would not be available until "unknown" (no fixed ETA at this time). Not to mention - there is but a single authorized Truma tech in our area? Oh my!

The King Dome antenna system has never worked and dealer did not have tech to even give it a look when van was taken in of one of its multiple warranty service appointments (note: We bought van in late April and notified dealer of issues in May. Earliest dealer could get us in was late August). I subsequently diagnosed the King Dome system, provided diagnosis to dealer and they have (hopefully) ordered parts. Currently waiting for parts and a tech to install new antenna as to not void warranty.

The JBL sound bar did not work when we received vehicle. It took over four weeks to get replacement sound bar. And it was only by the kindness of the dealer's heart they let me swap the broken sound bar for a new one (note: hmmmm - two screws and two cables. I think my experience as an advanced electronics hobbyist/ham radio operator/tool guy qualifies me for the swap...)

Currently waiting for Dodge to complete software patch to (hopefully) resolve the uConnect issues of the system suddenly rebooting while in use. Plus still need to figure out why the chassis battery drains in a few days. Our current fix is a battery tender for use when on shore power or using the generator.

I have not included all the other things I was able to repair (mudflap fell off, bathroom doors fell down, parted wiring at electrical connectors, etc.).

Was our van and many of the systems in it built on a Monday or something? Or is this the new Winnebago -- where the QA department is now working from home?
It may be where you are or who your dealer is. We had a number of Winnebago installed accessories or components that failed during our first 12 months of service but all were handled by the Winnebago dealer we purchased from, or at the factory . They included:
Coach batteries, water pump, step motor, black tank valve, kitchen and bathroom faucets, microwave, indash Sony radio, MCD shade, fresh water fill valve .

I didn’t like the number of accessories that failed ( and Winnebago didn’t make them) but I can’t complain. Two items were out of warranty by the time the dealer could get it in but since I reported it, it was still covered.
Sorry to hear you and others had trouble getting proper service. I may not have been happy with breakdowns or delays getting things fixed but I can’t complain about them making me jump through hoops. Does who you buy it from make a difference. In my case it was.
Best of luck
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

RV Manufacturer warranties and their service networks are a joke, in my humble opinion.

Especially so when compared to a company doing it right, like Honda or Hyundai.

If you don't love ordering parts, working on your rig, and amassing lots of tools and expertise, RVing can be very expensive and downright frustrating.

Fifteen years later, I may be getting over the thrill of learning how to repair new broken things soon!
Old 11-09-2023, 06:15 PM   #8
ACB
Winnebago Owner

I agree with your opinion. RV’ing is so different from the auto industry. And I see why folks get so fed up with it. If industry sales go down , maybe it gets better. I’ve been doing it 35 years and still love it but HATE how often problems occur. But my experience or perhaps expectations are different, because at 70 years old I’ve only owned two new cars in my life so learning to fix my old beaters was a constant since high school. So for me fixing cars, homes, trailers, engines, etc. is in my blood.

But I get it, this is not the way the industry should be, and I don’t blame people for saying “ I’ve had enough “.
Best of luck. I hope things improve for you and ALL of us too!
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 11:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Getting excited. After months of back and forth with dealer and all the various manufacturers of systems in our Travato -- most all is supposed to be repaired or replaced the week after Thanksgiving.

Last two big items -- the Truma system (failed after a few days of use) and the King Dome antenna (which has never worked). The Onan generator was repaired last week (a $5 gasket as forgotten when the generator was repaired after .4 hours use. This required two additional trips to the warranty service center about 1.5 hours (each way) from our home.)

As mentioned before -- the warranty service on all the various systems has probably cost us well over $1000 in gas, hotels (while broken down) and wear and tear on van. If I included all my time on the phone, sending emails, and in waiting rooms... oh my!

Now -- we need to just get Promaster work complete (radio/nav system suddenly reboots & chassis battery drains in less than a week).

It's a good thing I'm darn handy as I have a feeling the dealer and Winnebago (and other vendors) are just waiting for all our warranties to expire.

BTW - always funny when they tell you they (each repair place) need the van for 3-4 days to complete a 1-hour job (it has happened sooooo many times now). Last time the dealer had the van for over a week only to find out it was parked in their lot the entire time, and no one even looked at it until I became a squeaky wheel. I also hope I did not jinx us by saying most all the systems should be operational before end of November...
Old 12-11-2023, 05:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Great News! --

Great news.

After many months of waiting, most all of our Travato systems are operational (explained below). We now have heating, hot water, a fully functioning generator, a replaced shore power inlet, a working sound bar, and a TV that receives OTA stations. Plus the cabinetry is holding together.

At this point I don't want to jinx our luck by mentioning any of the other systems that have not failed.

Funny and sad...two days after we received our RV back from the dealer, we received a notice NOT to use our awning due to a pending recall. Now we are waiting to receive more info about that issue.

Thank goodness when you buy a car, you only have to go to (pretty much) one place to get things fixed. With an RV, you never know where you might end up. It could be 50 miles or 1750 miles away from your dealer.

Be well all and Happy Holidays!
Old 12-11-2023, 09:55 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just wait until you need something repaired and you are told, "We only work on those RV's or Items that were purchased from us!"

Happened to us twice. Once here locally and once on the road costing us $850 non refundable reservation fee. Problem was a slide would not operate.

My signature:
"It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it."
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote