Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-12-2023, 01:00 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Promaster 3500 Windshields

Back again!

After a 6000-mile jaunt, we came back with three huge cracks/dings in the windshield of a new 2023 Travato 59k (built on the Promaster 3500 chassis).

Now semi-patiently waiting for the call from Safelite to get our windshield replaced. (Hmmmm. It's only been a month and no ETA is currently available. )

According to the Facebook Winnebago users group (I am not a Facebook user, I heard from others), the breakage on the Promaster windshields is a relatively common occurrence.

I only look through less than 1/3 of the top of the windshield yet the thing is a huge target for errant farm truck rocks or trucks with covered loads -- however someone should have checked for spillage around dump bed. (BTW - Not sure what Dodge was thinking.)

In any case, enough whining. I have an idea to resolve the issue by fabricating a "mad-maxish" lower windshield protector that would sit just in front of the windshield wipers and protect at least the lower third (where most of our hits have occurred). I need to find a plastics fabricator to help with the build.

For now, the issue here seems to be supply chain issue with this windshield - at least in the Seattle area and I'm wondering if others with the Promaster chassis are able to get windshields in their area. We're a few weeks away from another adventure. This time during our fall rainy season. One of the "repairs" (a crack filler by a windshield repair place) is starting to tear up the wiper blades.

Perhaps we could vary our proposed route a bit to get actual replacement somewhere along the way (Washington, Oregon and northern California coasts)?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

If anyone in the greater Seattle megalopolis is looking for Travato (Promaster 3500) windshield replacement, be sure to check out the most excellent folks at Louis Auto Glass in Bellingham. Safelite took over two months to find a windshield, then suddenly told me they could not work on our "modified van" even though they were told from the start we had a Travato.

We found Louis Auto Glass through one of the only Dodge dealers in our region who works on the Travato. The Louis Auto Glass just folks shook their heads at the Safelite situation and had the window in stock in less than a week. Shortly after we were back on the road with a bright & shiny new windshield with calibration.

I know where I am going for all my window replacements from now on -- even if it is a bit of a drive.
Old 11-16-2023, 08:48 AM   #3
Site Team

Hi Gizmoneer,
Good to know about the folks up there in Bellingham. Could you find a stone & bug deflector that would fit on the leading edge of the hood? It looks like a company called OMAC has one, but sadly WeatherTech does not (at least not at this point.)
Of course, a blower coming up through the hood would suck-up a few of those unwanted stones & bugs too!
Thanks, Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	41
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	187866
Old 11-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Howdy.

Not seeing the windshield deflector - at least a type that might protect the lower section of the HUGE Promaster windshield that got nailed two out of the three rock strikes we encountered in Montana/North Dakota last summer (thanks, farmer's field trucks... (sad face here)). BTW -- we Line-X'd the entire front end of the van to reduce the rock chips I've encountered on my PNW pickup over the years. I love the durability of Line-X and the look it gives to our Travato.

I also did contact a company in Australia who builds proper stoneguards and they are open to shipping to US.

https://roofrack.com.au/product/fiat...en-stoneguard/

The Promaster is similar to Fiat/Ducato vans driven there. Question is, do I want to go that "Mad Max" of a look? Then again -- I mostly drive the backroads and camp in the backwoods of the mountain west. An upgrade like this would have us fit right in... (smiley face).
Old 11-22-2023, 11:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A note of the use of a blower. Wouldn't a windshield replacement be cheaper than sucking a stone down the throat of that huge scoop? (smiley face...)
Old 11-23-2023, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Team

After further reflection, it does appear that for a company to make a Road Warrior-type stone-guard, they might be real fans of the movie!
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	43
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	187944Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED2.gif
Views:	45
Size:	377.0 KB
ID:	187945