Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2024, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane tank will not fill above 3/4

Howdy,

Finally got 85% of 2023 Travato functional. The last few things (awning, radio reboots, rear bath door construction, mud flaps falling off, and batteries (both coach & chassis)) we've written off mostly due to the backwards slide of Winnebago quality. We will live with the current issues until weather improves, official recall notices are issued, and we win the lottery to upgrade our batteries.

Of greater concern is our propane tank will not fill past 3/4 full. I've had multiple propane refilling stations go, "what the heck?" when their systems suddenly stop pumping propane because our propane system shut their system down.

As we are into off-grid winter camping -- not having enough propane is an issue. Yes -- the Truma system seems to sip propane (and suck battery power) -- we'd rather not have to fire-up the generator except as a last resort on a cold, snowy night if/when we accidently run out of propane after several days of wintertime fun. Not to mention, potential issues of campground quiet hours or a dead chassis battery (don't get me started here).

Anyway -- wondering if any other Travato users had encountered the propane issue and may have suggestions before I ATTEMPT to get an appointment with the dealer. The clock is ticking on the ONE year warranty.
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It will only fill to 80% of tank capacity for safety and expansion. 3/4 is pretty close to that.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Propane gauges are notoriously inaccurate.

Both my 80# ASME tank gauges can be adjusted by loosening two screws allowing gauge to be rotated, not all tanks are built that way.

according to specs 5.9 gal is all that your 25# tank can handle
wouldn't be surprised if it takes less..

during freezing conditions there isn't enough tank pressure to completely empty my portable 30# tanks before I need to change, all they will take is about 6.8-6.9 gal not the 7.1 gal they would normally take had they been completely empty..
Old 02-27-2024, 08:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
It will only fill to 80% of tank capacity for safety and expansion. 3/4 is pretty close to that.

Aaron
Yup, that's the answer.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 03:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Aaron
Thanks. Mostly makes sense. Early last spring I could refill to full. I'm also going to go with the suggestion the sensor may be well off. Now if we could only put in more than a gallon or two to go from 1/4 to 3/4 on the gauge, things would really click with me.

I'm hoping warmer weather will provide more info as this is the first winter with our Travato. BTW - none of our other three RVs (over 15 years) ever exhibited these issues. Then again, none of our other RVs (2 Winnebago, 1 Forest River) had 1/10th the number of issues we've had with our 2023 Travato.

I recently came across a YouTuber who started to shed some light of the overall issues being encountered across the RV industry (ongoing supply chain challenges; a less technically trained workforce (a holdover issue from the pandemic); quality control not high on the list of things to manage by the biggest RV makers; and a dealer (corporate) consolidation that is sometimes leaving buyers out in the cold for trying to figure out where they stand in the scheme of things - especially when it comes to resolving warranty issues.

I could go on and on -- why bother. I'll just fix more myself. At least I have 90% of the skills needed and have now begun to build a network of van customizers who are quite skilled and eager to take our dollars for things that should have been covered under warranty.

Be well!
Old 03-02-2024, 03:31 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, even the 20lb LP tank you use on the BBQ at home is the same.

The service person filling the tank, opens a bleed valve, connects the LP hose to your inlet and they pump in the LP in liquid form until it starts venting out of the bleed valve.

And, he's also correct that LP gauges are estimates not exact.

It's not possible to actually FILL a propane tank - 80% is FULL. We all just call it FULL.

This is not a problem of quality control or "just another issue with your Travato."

Here's a bit more info:

https://flamekingproducts.com/blogs/...and-efficiency
Old 03-03-2024, 07:06 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Propane

I have a 2017 Travato. Over the past 4 years have had same readings when tank topped off. It reads 3/4 for a few trips using propane then goes to half. When I refill it once a year it is at 1/4 and it usually takes 2.9 gals to fill. I don’t use the heater much except my last trip in late January to Washington I used the heater on propane and electric having hookups a couple nights of 3 day travel each way. In better weather I use the water heater and cook top mostly. If you boondock a lot of course it will vary. Safe travels. Travato John
TravatoJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 07:59 AM   #8
Site Team

The Travato has a small 25 lb Propane tank. That means it would hold approximately 5 gallons of LP. Just a bit more than your backyard BBQ 20 lb tank.

https://winnebago.com/Files/Images/W...April-2023.pdf
Old 03-03-2024, 01:21 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If the filling station attendant stops because of back pressure, as evidenced by propane released from the safety valve, your tank is 80% full regardless of what your gauge says.
Old 03-03-2024, 01:29 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I swear our Forza said 100% when I picked it up but never above 75% with refills. Does the factory overfill?
Old 03-03-2024, 04:24 PM   #11
ACB
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoneer View Post
Howdy,

Finally got 85% of 2023 Travato functional. The last few things (awning, radio reboots, rear bath door construction, mud flaps falling off, and batteries (both coach & chassis)) we've written off mostly due to the backwards slide of Winnebago quality. We will live with the current issues until weather improves, official recall notices are issued, and we win the lottery to upgrade our batteries.

Of greater concern is our propane tank will not fill past 3/4 full. I've had multiple propane refilling stations go, "what the heck?" when their systems suddenly stop pumping propane because our propane system shut their system down.

As we are into off-grid winter camping -- not having enough propane is an issue. Yes -- the Truma system seems to sip propane (and suck battery power) -- we'd rather not have to fire-up the generator except as a last resort on a cold, snowy night if/when we accidently run out of propane after several days of wintertime fun. Not to mention, potential issues of campground quiet hours or a dead chassis battery (don't get me started here).

Anyway -- wondering if any other Travato users had encountered the propane issue and may have suggestions before I ATTEMPT to get an appointment with the dealer. The clock is ticking on the ONE year warranty.
As many others have responded, you can’t fill propane tanks to 100%. 75-80% is the average max.

You would think you could fill it but it’s not possible. If memory serves, there is back pressure when filling and you need room for expansion.
Hope this helps.
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:46 PM   #12
Dream Big, Work Smart !

Most LPG Vapour Tanks have a Ridged very small Brass line with a tiny upside down Funnel that is set Below the Top of the Tank that is connected to the Bleed Screw and that is what stops tanks from being Filled to 100%.
Also Filling a Tank on a Hot Day will reduce the amount of LPG it will hold.

--- /// ---

I DON'T need to hear any advice about the different Gasses used for Vehicles.

I have been de-cantering LPG directly from the S/Station Bowsers & outdated Vehicle LPG Tanks for over 40 years as I have all the LPG Fitting to do so.
I consider it safer that filling with Petrol.

My favourite LPG Tank is the Aluminium Liquid release Forklift Tank that I Converted into a Vapour release Tank these can be filled to near 100% but that they obviously should not be stores in Sunlight until being Consumed.

DANGER: LPG is stored in Liquid form and LPG tanks should NOT be filled above 25 Bar = 2'585Kpa = 375 Psi as that is the BURST pressure of the Safety valve.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Maybe a case of the coffee being a bit too strong?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:41 PM   #14
ACB
Winnebago Owner

�� you are so right!!
ACB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2024, 01:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Ours was also at 100% when picked up. Never been there again after multiple gas fills because of winter boondocking use. Interesting...
Old 04-30-2024, 09:09 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmoneer View Post
Ours was also at 100% when picked up. Never been there again after multiple gas fills because of winter boondocking use. Interesting...
I wonder if your unit was sitting on a bit of a slope causing the float valve to read 100%?

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:58 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

One possible explanation might be the temperature changed? But a reading of 100% seems a bit odd.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank