Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2024, 06:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2014 Minnie Winnie 31K- Cab rebuild

Hi everyone! I recently discovered a leak in bunk over the driver. The bunk plywood was rotted and I had to take everything out. During the demo I took out the plywood (in one piece for future template), but there was some vinyl cover as well. I'm not sure of the thickness of the plywood with vinyl cover because it swelled up and split. It's measuring a true 3/4" without the vinyl and I'm not sure how to make up the difference from a 23/32 sheet of plywood. Thank you in advance... I'm a little handy, but trying to redo this to save the cost to have someone else do it.
Tmoss12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

So do you have wooden beam/rafters on the places where the two thinkness meet?
If the new material is a bit thinner than the old, one way to make them match on height is to add a furring strip on top of the framing. That strip needs to be the same as the difference in the two sections.
It often is not necessary to run the shim strip the full length/width of the new materail if the difference is small like 1/8 inch. Just let them taper down to avoid the full blown strip at all sides of the new material. Most people will not notice the taper!

And if they do, remember whose RV it is and invite them out but not to dinner---if you know what I mean!
Click image for larger version

Name:	joint.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	189489
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2024, 05:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you for the comment. Sounds like I might be over thinking it. I do have a question about the material in the pic. It's that 2 inch epoxy/caulk tape that sits under the railing of the outside of the cab and runs all the way to the ground. Where do I get this or do I just put a lot of caulk under the railing myself. I just want to make sure its done right and eliminate any future leaks.
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2024, 08:04 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sorry, not one I've seen!
There are lots of good online dealers that would be prone to knowing about that seal. A phone call to just check might turn up something?
On the other hand Winnebago also can be very helpful. Repsonse seems to vary at times, though!
Home page:
https://www.winnebago.com/
Go to "owners tab" for lots of links to info as well as a service/parts section. Maybe some good info for starters as possible it might be found local?
Old 08-08-2024, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoss12 View Post
Hi everyone! I recently discovered a leak in bunk over the driver. The bunk plywood was rotted and I had to take everything out. During the demo I took out the plywood (in one piece for future template), but there was some vinyl cover as well. I'm not sure of the thickness of the plywood with vinyl cover because it swelled up and split. It's measuring a true 3/4" without the vinyl and I'm not sure how to make up the difference from a 23/32 sheet of plywood. Thank you in advance... I'm a little handy, but trying to redo this to save the cost to have someone else do it.
Where did you find it was leaking? I too have a 31K.
Old 08-08-2024, 08:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

There are two ways to go about finding and fixing leaks in RV. One is to search for signs of things getting wet and trace it back to the source. I find the other to be quicker and more sure, so I go this way!
I assume all points of entry to be suspect and reseal them all!
In your group, the first thoughts would be the lights over the cab as they are so common to give trouble. One might go inside and find places where materials can be removed and look but I find it less trouble to just go with the idea that if they are not leaking right now, they will be soon enough. I find it less time and effort to just go with renewing the seal than to look if they ARE leaking!

Then the second/third suspects are the seams at the joints and they can often be spotted if we look close for gaps.

I find an oscillating tool to remove the old seal/caulk is a great thing to have as it speeds the work and removes the old with far less effort and chance of gouging materias when pressing too hard.
I find the elcheapo from Wal-mart is lasting just as long as the name brand I started with! Love it for numerous other uses as well. One of the better tools for $20-25!
If I spot a suspect spot, I just go for removing the whole line and redo it while there, rather than try to put new caulk on old. New rarely sticks to old very long!

Like painting, the prep/cleaning and right product is the key thing!
Old 08-08-2024, 08:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Where did you find it was leaking? I too have a 31K.
Along the rails that cover the corners to the overhead bunk. It was old caulking that had cracked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7676.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	189540  
Old 08-09-2024, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmoss12 View Post
Along the rails that cover the corners to the overhead bunk. It was old caulking that had cracked.
Thank you! I will check mine in those areas.
Old 08-29-2024, 11:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Cab rebuild for 2014 Minnie Winnie

Hi everyone! I am in the process of putting this RV back together, a 2014 Minnie Winnie. I have the fiberglass sheet to attach. I have two boards that are about 4" wide and a piece of styrofoam board that is about 8" wide.
DO I glue them directly to the fiberglass sheet or do I add a wood panel to the sheet of fiberglass? I'm guessing the thickness of this section should match the thickness of the platform bed since they meet together. I have included some pictures and appreciate any feedback or advice.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7934.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	189733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7931.jpg
Size:	211.1 KB
ID:	189734  

Name:	IMG_7930.jpg
Size:	432.9 KB
ID:	189735  
Old 09-04-2024, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I had the same questions here. https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...2r-368766.html but no responses. I believe there was probably some thin Luan plywood under the Styrofoam. Mine was totally deteriorated so I couldn't tell.
I still can't understand why they would transition from a 1" thick plywood bed platform to the Styrofoam board on the outside edge of the bed. I think I'll toss the Styrofoam and use leftover bed platform plywood of the same thickness as the bed.
What do you plan to use to glue the fiberglass down with? I i tried FRP panel adhesive
and it turned out to be a disaster. Contact cement works great but you only get one chance to get it right.
Wingnut23 is offline   Reply With Quote