Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2016 Minnie Winnie 22R Roof leak at nose cap above running lights

I am the 2nd owner of a 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R. I have an ongoing issue with a roof leak at the nose cap area, specifically at the metal strip that runs the width of the roof above the running lights. Water collects somewhere in the nose cap area and flows into the upper bunk when the RV is in motion.

I cleaned and recaulked the entire length of the metal strip at both the top side and under side. That seemed to work well for about 1 year. I built a scaffold so I could work and an elevated level.

Now that metal strip appears to be leaking again( I imagine that strip secures the top side of the roof material to the lower section at the running lights?)

Here's are my questions: Has anyone removed the metal strip secured to the roof above the running lights to inspect what is below? (I imagine there is a gap between the upper roof panel and the lower nose panel?)

Has anyone found a method of sealing the roof area beneath the metal strip I mention here and then reinstalling the metal strip?

I'm thinking of pulling the metal securing strip, laying a piece of Eternabond across the full width of the gap I'm guessing I might find, and then resecuring the metal strip with new screws.

(Still all kinds of questions about what wood is below and thickness)

Being the 2nd owner, Winnebago tells me the roof Warranty applies to only the original owner. No other roof leaks. I did have the perimeter of the roof recaulked 2 years ago as a preventative effort.

New to this forum so not sure yet how to post photos.
bcoldpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoldpro View Post
Water collects somewhere in the nose cap area and flows into the upper bunk when the RV is in motion.
Hi bcoldpro,
Could it be that the leak is from one of the five clearance lights? Since it doesn't leak unless you are underway, I sort of doubt it was ever coming from the top seal on the nose cap. The goal of the nose cap was to eliminate those kinds of leaks; hopefully.
Here is the sealant guide for your 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R
Eagle5
How to add photos to a post

P.S. Do you have the nose cap pictured below?
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED2.gif
Views:	2
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	189985
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The nose cap you show in the photo is/was an optional item from what I understand. My 2016 Minnie Winnie 22R DOES NOT have that cap. When I use the term 'nose cap" it means the area from the top of the roof line to the downward curve above the front upper bunk. Thank you so much for your response.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM   #4
Site Team

OK - Yes: I see the strip is on the descending slope of the nose area, so I get how that could leak when underway. Still, I have also heard of the clearance lights leaking, so maybe check those first?
Thanks, Eagle5
Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It is when I am underway that the water that has leaked into the nose area that has collected somewhere, enters into the upper bunk area thereby giving both the driver and passenger an unexpected shower to start the trip off just right.

The clearance lights have been caulked and recaulked. I bet my bottom dollar that water is flowing off the roof towards the nose and entering at the top of the metal strip and then collecting somewhere. And we are not talking about just a trickle of water, but a quart of water at times!

I go back to my original question about removing that metal strip just above the running lights and attempting a fix there.
Old Today, 07:26 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You will find that fighting leaks is one of the big issues in RV ownership. It is a constant issue and it takes some real looking and thought, both on where as well as what and how!

If it has been a year, it may simply be time to do it again if the materials and methods are not correct.

One big issue on sealing is what is used and how well, as it is not always a clearcut answer on either. If you have existing sealers like silicone, be aware that it takes a really good cleaning job to remove the old and new will not stick if there is even a trace of the old.

But for your question? No, I have not dealt with that specific roof strip as RV are so different. My major roof sealing jobs were way back and involved metal roof materials!
But some of that may still apply!
If you have a leak at a seam and there are fasteners like screws, there is likely to have been wood underneath.
However WAS may be the key issue! There may have been wood there but you will not know if it is still there or just a handful of rot!
Several of my first RV were bought cheap because there were obvious roof problems and the sellers did not want to deal with it!
I have no experience with dealing with the bonded roof types but for the old metal, we peeled it back, built new wooden structure and glued it back together. That gave us new wood to run the screws in to hold.
It usually also involved replacing the interior ceiling as it had often crumbled due to the extended time things were left to rot.

My advise? Deal with it sooner rather than later as it is a progressive thing that will not get better with time!
The only way to find what is there is to begin taking it apart until you get to a point where you see good material! Where there is water, there is apt to be fungus and if that is left, it continues to degrade!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:53 AM   #7
Site Team

Hi bcoldpro,
I do not know how to get that strip out of the nose; sorry.
I would recommend that you always use the official Winnebago Sealants. If you use an incompatible sealant, it will not stick to the old sealant, and could help funnel even more water inside.
If it were me, I would get a price on purchasing a nose cap, and install that to fix the leak. The part number for Panel #63 is:
185769-02-XXX CAP ASM-ROOF, FRONT; FEATURE CODE: 31U
Eagle5

Tags
light, lights, leak, roof