Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-24-2024, 10:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2022 View 24D Door is really hard to open and close

Our main door has been really hard to open and close for about 6 months now. The strut is working fine. The top two hinge screws into the frame are totally stripped (from what I have no idea, maybe over tightening in factory?).

I had a mobile RV tech take a look, but even with 35 years of experience, he was completely unfamiliar with these doors. He recommended contacting Winnebago and asking about a recall.

Has anyone seen any recalls related to these doors?

This became a problem about 6 months after our 1 year warranty ended.

Have you seen anything like this? Have an idea of the repair cost or scope?

Thank you
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 10:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hrm, this looks like the same issue: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...or-364779.html

Has anyone had luck with this hinge removal and lubrication suggested in the Lippert PDF?
Old 04-24-2024, 11:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Also this one: https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ue-360392.html

I have the same stiff door opening and closing. It makes loud pops and grinds, not squeaks.

There is a lot of indirectly-related discussion here about latches and u-bolts, but the OP was about the hinges.

I am not sure if Larry wss able to get this issue resolved and if it was more than removing the hinges and lubricating them?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:04 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

There is a thread about adjusting the nut.......

There is a thread about adjusting the nut tensioner inside the lock from the flash plate. I did this last week and the door opens much better. It has to do with tightening up the rod inside. As you turn the bolt in/out the latch activates faster. In the instructions it said a turn or two. Mine was turned about ten times.

I did a quick search for it but it didn't come up and its dinner time. If i have time later tonight Ill send the link.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago used aluminum and metal hinges so they cease up. You need to pull the hinges out one at a time and lubricate them with Loctite LB 8008. I had no more problems after that
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 04:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7997redtail View Post
There is a thread about adjusting the nut tensioner inside the lock from the flash plate. I did this last week and the door opens much better. It has to do with tightening up the rod inside. As you turn the bolt in/out the latch activates faster. In the instructions it said a turn or two. Mine was turned about ten times.

I did a quick search for it but it didn't come up and its dinner time. If i have time later tonight Ill send the link.
Watching this thread - please report any link you do find. Thanks!

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:20 AM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Rod adjustment link.

So I missed the OPs original intention. I thought he was having trouble opening the door.

Here is a link to how to adjust the handle so you don’t have to pull so far/hard to open a door.

7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 08:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
So I missed the OPs original intention. I thought he was having trouble opening the door.

Here is a link to how to adjust the handle so you don’t have to pull so far/hard to open a door.

BTW, I use dry lube on all my hinges and latches at the beginning and end of the season.
Thanks, but that's a different door handle than the one on late model Views. Mine isn't that bad, depending on how level the coach is. Still, would like to know how to adjust, should it need that.
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 11:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

BTW, I use dry lube on all my hinges and latches at the beginning and end of the season.
Yes, the problem is with opening the door and closing it. It is very stiff and makes a loud metal creaking/grinding sound.

As mentioned, the door in that video is completely different than the one used in the 2022 View 24D.

I heard from some others that lubricating the hinges did not work for them and that the only effective solution they found was replacing the hinges.

After two weeks, I heard this back from my local La Mesa RV service contact:
Quote:
We have had to replace the 3 hinges on several View/Navion's with the same concern. I have requested my parts department to get a price quote for 3 new hinges that we can special order through Winnebago. Will let you know as soon as I get the parts quote.

Tags
door, view