Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2024, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2023 Minnie Winnie 25 on a 4 day trip in Alaska

Hey, not an owner but going to rent an RV in Alaska this September and visit some of the nation parks. Wondering how many nights we would be able to go without a hookup? Campsites have bathrooms and water, and it comes with a generator. So ( I think ) mostly curious about propane ( 76 lbs ) and heating during the night ( 53 high / 40 low ).
Not hoping for a sauna, but just comfortable ( 65-ish? ).
We can do between two nights and four nights.

I've been trying to search for reasonable answer on the internet, and was not able to really find anything. So thought I would ask here here though I'm not an owner and am new to this. Sorry if it's a crazy question. Be gentle. Thanks...

Larry
larryjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 08:32 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Larry,
In the 2023 Brochure for Minnie Winnie, the 25B floorplan has a 10 gallon propane tank. In the mild conditions you describe, you will have plenty of propane for the water heater, the furnace, and the stove over the four nights/five days you are planning.
Here are the water tank sizes:
  • Fresh = 40 gallons
  • Gray = 26 gallons
  • Black = 21 gallons
In order to add water to the fresh water tank, you must use a pressurized hose. Hopefully, your campsites will have that, as you will need to refill the fresh water tank every other day with two people, and maybe even every day if you take a couple of showers.
The problem you will find with the 25B is its small Gray tank. Will you have RV dump facilities available? The Black Tank should be OK for the five days.
If you have never used an RV before, the Cruise America training videos are good to learn the basics.
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-29-2024, 08:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks a lot Eagle5. That helps a lot. I've been trying to read up and watch a bunch of videos and those really help. It looks like Denali does have a dump and fill station, so hopefully we can use that if we need to. So it will just be the propane for a few nights and I think there are places we can drive not to far if we need it.

Thanks again for the advice; I appreciate it.
larryjkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2024, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Larry,
You guys are going to have a wonderful time!
Enjoy!
Eagle5
Old 09-01-2024, 04:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The OP's tanks are similar to the ones on our Winnebago Navion 24V Class C = 31/41/41. We take navy showers (turn off the shower head after wetting, soap up, then turn back on to rinse off) to save fresh water. But we have a tankless WH, so don't have to run it for water to warm up. We can go for 3 days showering every other day, washing dishes once a day, cooking, filling our water bottles, flushing toilet, etc., before needing to refill fresh water. We can go four days before needing to dump. So, we figure ~10 gallons a day for just normal camping. And it is the gray tank that governs our time because we can use public restrooms at places we are going.

If we need to go longer, we have used paper plates, bowls, and cups; hand sanitizer; waterless shampoo; and flushable wipes (DON'T flush them!) to stretch the fresh tank. And we fill our 6-gallon portable tank if extra fresh water is going to be hard to find.

We love RVing in Alaska! I started working there in 1972 and my last trip was in 2017. If you haven't heard about it, look up "Alaska TourSaver" on the web. Well worth the price if you just use it for a Kenai Fjords cruise tour, the Seward Sea Life Center, and a few museuns. BTW, I think Riley Creek campground at Denali has a laundry. Seems like we had to do a couple of loads while there. There were places to get propane in Healy and Talkeetna. And, if you want a special night out, try the Double Muskie in Girdwood for great steak and/or Simon & Seafort's Saloon in Anchorage for seafood. Makes me hungry just thinking about all the meals I've had at them!
Fanrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 05:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We've owned a 25B for 5 years. We cold weather camp in the SD every year. All that has been said here is right on. Our t-stat is set 65 nights 75 days. The 25B is small for the size of it's furnace so it'll warm up quick. Leave the bath vent open at all times for venting & leave the shades up at night to cut down on the moisture build up on the windows. Cab heater warms the entire thing driving down the road just be sure the bath vent is open. Bake up something in the oven early morning for a bonus. Sea shower every 3 days with Assurance brand disposable washcloths from WM in between is our method. Usually go 5-7 days but have made it 10 with 2 adults. Disposable plates. Water pump on for #2 toileting only. Water takes less than 5 mins to heat up. When our propane shows E we have a solid 1/4 tank left (gauge on tank). Used to be the rental company's charged by the hour for generator use so be aware of that. Figure 8mpg (at the most) for your travels. You are going to have a blast.
paof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ther DW and I highly recommend Great Alaskan Holidays for your RV rental. They're not the cheapest RV rental company, but we consider them the best. If you check their website you should find a wealth of information about their various rental packages. Also consider buying a copy of The Milepost which is a comprehensive booklet of maps and another wealth of information about driving tours in Alaska. It's not cheap you'd be amazed at the information it contains.