Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

A lot is dependent on how and where you mount them on your vehicle. Get it right and they produce a warbling sound just outside the range of human hearing while getting it wrong the won't warble and won't be effective. I have them on my motorcycle and the prescribed height and its cut down the close calls with deer and such dramatically however has not done anything to ward off panthers running along side the bike at night.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

My experience, they seem to work. I see the deer looking long before I get close.
Memory Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Deer whistle

I worked in the Auto Body industry for 32 years and we always laughed when the deer hits came in with the deer whistles hanging off the bumpers.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden13 View Post
I have some slightly used elephant repellent I could sell you, if you're worried.
Oh Boy, can we start with elephant jokes?!!!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:51 PM   #25
Site Team

Question:
What time is it when an elephant sits in the dinette of your Thor 22FE?

Answer:
Time to get a new Winnebago 22M!
Old 04-15-2020, 10:57 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
I worked in the Auto Body industry for 32 years and we always laughed when the deer hits came in with the deer whistles hanging off the bumpers.
Of course, they were driving at Ludicrous Speed.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:35 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

I like the idea so I checked to see if there is any backing to the eve tines to deer whistles. Non whatsoever.
MarinerGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 PM   #28
Site Team

Thank you so much!! Since you've installed those I have had zero interactions with any deer on the highways.

I never would have thought that you installing those on your RV could keep me safe, but thank you, very much.

I'm now looking forward to you installing Air Horns on your RV... or Long Horn Steer horns, either one.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #29
Site Team

Hi Creativepart,
I bet you've had zero interactions with ANY highway since I installed my Deer Whistles! I'm just doing my part to keep you safe.
Eagle5
Old 04-18-2020, 12:46 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

For years I have owned and lived in Deer Meadows WA.

https://washingtonstate.fandom.com/wiki/Deer_Meadows

I have had 50 deer on my property in a day.
Thank the Lord I have never hit one with a vehicle, however my Daughter has a Hat Trick and totaled all 3 cars. She was uninjured.

Friends and neighbors that have used Deer Whisels and not hit a Deer swear by them. The ones that hit Deer not so much
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 01:26 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

It never dawned to me until now why I sometimes see deer whistles on vehicles here in Alaska. Apparently there are folks who are thinking that since moose are members of the deer family, then the whistles should work for them too.

As far as I know there has been no evidence that it works because we still have hundreds of moose strikes every year. Generally fatal for the moose, heavily damaging or totaling for vehicles, and occasionally fatal for drivers.
Old 04-18-2020, 01:49 PM   #32
Site Team

It really is a cost versus benefit relationship. For thirty-two years, I have seen deer pay attention to my truck with the Deer Whistles, and then to subsequently turn-away and back off the highway.
  • If the Deer Whistles work just ½% of the time, and the cost to avoid that collision is sixteen bits, then that is money well spent.
  • If you do not exceed posted speed limits and do not exceed suggested corner speeds, the cost to avoid that collision is time well spent.
Finally, never forget the first rule of the road, and that is to watch where you're going. Eyes up and continually scanning for threats. Don't be fiddling around with stuff on the dash.
Thanks, Eagle5

Tags
deer alerts, deer whistles