Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 PM   #1
2022 Navion

Mystery water on floor - Navion 2023

Water is good … but only when it’s in the right place. I have found this dribble three different times on our floor, with the slide room in, while parked on our slightly sloping parking pad. It comes from under the slide out and runs down toward the passenger side. It’s not a lot, but it shouldn’t be there. The dealer test-pressurized the whole inside and then sealed the whole connection of the RV to the cab. Did a nice job but the dribble came back. This has all happened in dry weather! I’m suspecting the water system, but it’s intermittent and the dealer has checked it all out again and can’t replicate the leak or find anything more.
Any similar experiences out there? Or bright ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2205CFE0-1666-4184-A484-FA5195DD48BA.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	325.4 KB
ID:	186254   Click image for larger version

Name:	39D25530-37B3-4AD7-ADE7-B904F887CEA0.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	186255  

Soji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

A couple thoughts but things you may have already thought about?
Any small furry friends that got careless?

Then if itis running in from the side to form a puddle, I might have to do a test to see which direction it is coming from if I'm not able to see any trails from minerals. We find that a thin layer of flour spread and wiped on the floor will let water leave a definite trail, showing where it started and where it collects.

Leaking vents overhead to drip straight down instead of following the walls?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:28 AM   #3
2022 Navion

Thanks, Morich for the reply - no furry friends. This happened while sitting unused. The slight incline of the pad the Navion sits on is the same direction the dribble follows from under the slideout toward the cab. The pressurization of the whole interior showed no leaks from vents, so we are looking good there.
Has anyone had freshwater leak from their plumbing system?
Old 06-07-2023, 08:11 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Given the floorplan to locate which RV, a check can be made of the plumbing locations.
Am I correct in thinking we are looking forward toward the back of the driver's seat?

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

A "funny" that you will likely have ruled out? We had a leak in an RV while it was on a consignment sales lot. We finally got someone to admit they dropped their water bottle and didn't bother to wipe up the spill!
Turned out they were using it as "clubhoise" rather than trying very hard to sell it!
Old 06-07-2023, 09:37 AM   #5
2022 Navion

Hey Morich -
Yes, you are seein the back of the drivers seat in the two sideways photos. Wish I coulda been there for the parties in your RV .
Thanks so much for the link to the 3D schematics!! That is INVALUABLE!
My leak has to be coming from a connection at the water tank. I’m thinking that there’s enough pressure in a full water tank to push out a seep leak and it may even puddle a bit before running out to where it’s visible.
So I’ve sent a screen shot to my service person in hopes of it giving some guidance.
Thanks so much!!
Old 06-07-2023, 10:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Chasing leaks is a whole different thing!
since you mention plumbing, there is a seperate line drawing type site which can give a different view at times.
I never seem to have too much info as I can ignore most anything!!

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...m/Plumbing.htm

Wiring in case you get there someday?
https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...ram/Wiring.htm

Best of luck in the chase!
Old 06-07-2023, 11:47 AM   #7
2022 Navion

👍
Cheers -
Old 06-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
Water is good … but only when it’s in the right place. I have found this dribble three different times on our floor, with the slide room in, while parked on our slightly sloping parking pad. It comes from under the slide out and runs down toward the passenger side. It’s not a lot, but it shouldn’t be there. The dealer test-pressurized the whole inside and then sealed the whole connection of the RV to the cab. Did a nice job but the dribble came back. This has all happened in dry weather! I’m suspecting the water system, but it’s intermittent and the dealer has checked it all out again and can’t replicate the leak or find anything more.
Any similar experiences out there? Or bright ideas?
I had the exact same problem on my 2020 24D floor plan. Mine came from the back of the shower handle where the hot and cold white hoses connect to the mixing valve. Winnebago cut off the factory ends of the white hose and crimped them with pex connectors which was not a proper fit. You can remove the plastic buttons to get to the screws and cut the caulking around the white panel to get to the back of the water lines.

If you plumbing water pump burps or cycles at all, that is a clear indication of small leaks. When you have the slide out in the out position, near the rear of the slide closest to the back of the shower, you may see signs of water coming from there.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We don't yet have the info on exactly which navion they have but I do see the reasoning for thinking it is a slide leak as the puddle seems to be well away from any plumbing. But that is from looking at the 24D model, so may not be accurate in other models??

I would tend to look at slide seals letting water in to run along the bottom of the slide when it is in and drop off nearly between the front seats as that is close to the inner end of the slide.

Name:	24D.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	186268

Something that a person with a new RV might miss while being extra careful?

Maybe being careful to not mistreat the new RV, is making OP let the slide switch off a bit too soon, rather than running it a bit to "overshoot" closing? That Might explain how the outer seal might not be getting fully compressed enough to seal, but tend to work fine when dealers are checking.

I had a bit of discussion with my wife on doing the overrun thing as she was afraid to burn out the motors but once she understood they are designed to do a few seconds past closed, it worked better.

Sometimes we can actually be tooo careful??
Old 06-08-2023, 05:33 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We don't yet have the info on exactly which navion they have but I do see the reasoning for thinking it is a slide leak as the puddle seems to be well away from any plumbing. But that is from looking at the 24D model, so may not be accurate in other models??

I would tend to look at slide seals letting water in to run along the bottom of the slide when it is in and drop off nearly between the front seats as that is close to the inner end of the slide.

Attachment 186268

Something that a person with a new RV might miss while being extra careful?

Maybe being careful to not mistreat the new RV, is making OP let the slide switch off a bit too soon, rather than running it a bit to "overshoot" closing? That Might explain how the outer seal might not be getting fully compressed enough to seal, but tend to work fine when dealers are checking.

I had a bit of discussion with my wife on doing the overrun thing as she was afraid to burn out the motors but once she understood they are designed to do a few seconds past closed, it worked better.

Sometimes we can actually be tooo careful??
Original poster said it was dry outside. My mention of the slide is that when the slide is in the open position, you have access to the back of the shower. Otherwise, you see nothing, and the water will run under the slide (which you cannot see without the slide in the open position). If it was dry outside, I doubt its a slide leak, but just speculating. 2020-2023 View/Navion is the same, and I am speculating it's a 24D floorplan but do not know. The J could have the same issue, as all the plumbing connections come together under the shower pan just like the 24D.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:56 PM   #11
2022 Navion

Thank you crah and Morich.
My Navion is a 24D model. The suggestion of the shower mix connection is one I’ll keep in mind as well as look for any water indications. The angle of the dribble run is off from a direct route from that location but if it is running along some other obstruction before it breaks out across the floor then it’s a possibility. As far as running the slideout in and tight, we’ve got that down. I’m still thinking fresh water from who knows where.
I got into the access panels under the dinette seat to see that the connections from the water tank to the water pump are all dry and no signs of water in the sawdust left from construction. I was hopeful that I’d see a leak there but, oh darn, it was dry.
I think I’m in the wait and see phase right now … unless some other smart person joins in.
Thanks to you both -
Old 06-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soji View Post
Thank you crah and Morich.
My Navion is a 24D model. The suggestion of the shower mix connection is one I’ll keep in mind as well as look for any water indications. The angle of the dribble run is off from a direct route from that location but if it is running along some other obstruction before it breaks out across the floor then it’s a possibility. As far as running the slideout in and tight, we’ve got that down. I’m still thinking fresh water from who knows where.
I got into the access panels under the dinette seat to see that the connections from the water tank to the water pump are all dry and no signs of water in the sawdust left from construction. I was hopeful that I’d see a leak there but, oh darn, it was dry.
I think I’m in the wait and see phase right now … unless some other smart person joins in.
Thanks to you both -
Just in case I didn't make myself clear, I want to at least share better the problem I had. With your slide open, the back of the shower handle hoses will drip strait down, and along the gasket in between the bathroom wall, and the side of the couch. So when the slide is closed, it will be impossible to see, and will flow freely "under your slide out" and to the front. It will all be under the water pump area under the slide. The Winnebago view/navion naturally sits with the nose down, so gravity of water will flow to the front of the RV. Just sharing what happened with me. There are many white hoses that Winnebago uses with pex crimps on pex connectors that do not make a good watertight connection. So intermittent drips at those connections are common. I've seen this on 2020, 2021, and 2022. I have not been in front of a 2023. I have some pictures somewhere in my archives I will try to find.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

OMG!! As the new folks tend to say?
That info gives a totally different picture on the plumbing as they seem to have done some massive changes which add a whole new set of suspects!

If I am reading it right and the water suppluy lines, tank and pump are ALL on the slide, that is a whole new game. One of the big problems might be keeping lines tight when the slide moves?

But one of the first things I might check is the little fragile filter cup we often find on the end of the pump!
They tend to be super thin and just screwing them on can break them or leaving them a tiny bit loose may leak?

Maybe time to take a close look at the drawing set for this RV as a way to compare what you see to what I "think" I see. Maybe I'm totally wrong and the whole water setup is NOT on the slide???
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Floor plan

Name:	24D.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	186269

Looking down from above

Name:	slide.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	186270
Side to spot where I think floor is located

Name:	slide2.jpg
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	186271

Suspects/details!!

Name:	slide 3.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	186272

I'm seeing lots of suspects to check on this one! Tell me I'm wrong! Is the pump really in the corner of the slide and right above where the puddle shows? Did they surely leave access to the pump?
I DO have nightmares that turn out to be totally wrong at times!!!
Old 06-09-2023, 07:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Vita 24P

Want to support the pex clamps on white hoses, they are definetly an issue. I ended up going thru the entire water system on my Vita and replacing those clamps on the white hoses. Not a fun project, but at least I am sealed up now. PEX clamps on soft white hoses is a no no.
Old 06-09-2023, 07:43 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I find water leaks on plastic tubes rarely get better. Metal is possible for hard water to seal as it leaks but the plastic seems never.
So I would want to be pretty agressive on at least finding this leak.
Rather than flour dusting, using some form of tissue like paper towels or bathroom tissue can help track the small intermitant leaks. If you can get in near some of the connections or along the trail where water shows up. Taping a strip of tissue on the floor will act as a "footprint" for the water flow. A piece of tissue wrapped around connections that can be reached will change when it gets wet.
Then the next time the puddle shows up, you can go back and look at which tissue got wet as the tissue will show it has been wet, even after drying!
Old 06-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #16
2022 Navion

Ok. So you guys are pretty smart, but I haven’t gotten to the bottom of this yet.
For clarification, this is a 2022. I put in the wrong year initially.
The water tank and the water pump both ride on the slideout. The pump is very accessible and located at the foot of the bed and 5’ from where the leak shows up but I’ll have a look at the filter cup.
Sitting on the parking pad, the front of the unit is lower and the passenger side is also lower which creates a 45 degree run for the water. Looking back up the 45* track of this water places it at the wall in about the middle below the dinette window. And since the water has shown up in dry weather, the window is not high on my suspect list.
I’m glad (and not glad) to know about the pex clamps on non-pex hoses. Sounds like a pretty poor construction choice.
The toilet tissue wrap for the connections is a great telltale that I will try as I proceed with my inspecting.

Thanks for all your pondering with me on this. It keeps the wheels turning and churning.

Tags
water