Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-26-2024, 03:34 PM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Wow! Can't blame you for feeling the way you do. Wish I had some suggestions, but about the only thing that comes to me is to have a conversation with the service manager and express your frustration and concern with the quality (lack) of the work the other owner experienced.

When I picked ours up a couple days ago, after the airbag wiring recall (apparently ours didn't need the wiring change), I was told parts for the awning recall were due to arrive in 3 or 4 weeks, and they would call me to let me know when they got there so I could bring it back in. We'll see...
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2024, 04:50 PM   #42
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma View Post
While I was waiting to speak to the service manager another man came in very upset because he just picked up his van and the awning came out while driving AFTER the second recall repair.
WOW, this is the first I recall hearing about the awing extending after the second recall was completed. My position of not going in for the repairs is looking better and better.

I have to wonder are the dealers blaming material shortages or are the looking to avoid doing the work. Warranty work is paid at an agreed rate (generally a lot lower then the shop rate we pay) and sometime at an unrealistic time to be completed in. They may be saving this grunt work for the slow season.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 09:38 AM   #43
Gma
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your reply and concern. I spoke to the service manager and his boss. All they did was complain about having to do recalls and Winnebago with no concern for the customers time and money spent. I ended up calling Winnebago and a lot of what the service center was telling me was not true. I have a case number from Winnebago so we will see what happens when I go back.
Gma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2024, 06:02 AM   #44
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gma View Post
Thank you for your reply and concern. I spoke to the service manager and his boss. All they did was complain about having to do recalls and Winnebago with no concern for the customers time and money spent. I ended up calling Winnebago and a lot of what the service center was telling me was not true. I have a case number from Winnebago so we will see what happens when I go back.

Your reply is about what experienced elsewhere in NJ. The dealer was great at selling but horrible at completing warranty work. I only went to the dealer twice in four years of ownership, both for warranty work . On the first repair when I got the rig back, they actually created an issue by not refastening a drain hoses as it pass over the rear axle. The inside tire had worn thru the hose. Imagine my surprise when I activated the gray water tank pump only to find it dumping out over the rear axle. My second trip was for the first awning repair. I have no plans of going to a dealer for the second awning recall.

My local MB dealer has been great at completing warranty work. For the most part I do my own work including what should be warranty work.

I hope you find the the service team at WB to be professional and solve your issues.
Old 08-26-2024, 01:45 PM   #45
Winnebago Watcher

Had 2nd recall for awning done... NOT good

When the awning recall was complete we were told that the awning power module was bad and needed to be replaced. That would not be covered by the recall thought... I think it was $250 for the part plus labor.
Funny but before the 1st awning recall was done everything worked fine. Something happened there during the 5 visits we have made to get this fixed.

So we bought the part for.... ohhh look at that.... $77.63 on Amazon. It arrived and we took out the old module. Ohhh look at that.... the ground wire on it had been cut. That is why it did not work.

Then we cut the tie wraps off the owning and started the RV to move it to test the awning and see if it worked. Oh it worked alight as soon as the engine was started. So we're yelling MOVE... awning is coming out! Got it away from the house just in time! Are you kidding me.

So as soon as you start the RV the awning comes out. To put it back in you have to press awning out... then again awning out to get it in all the way. To put it out you press awning in. But of course the biggest problem... you can not drive with the awning out.
So we are using Ontario Don's suggestion with the wiring under the passenger seat. Thank-you so much for that post. Waiting to hear from the dealer and will need to make the treck 4 hours each way again.

We have not had an awning for almost 2 years. It changes all your planning when traveling. It is not an understatement to say this awning has been a nightmare. Isn't it ironic that the company is called Carefree.

Its time you make it care free by replacing that awning! Just sayin! I've had enough.
RLdaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Wow, that's terrible, but it sounds like the service I have experienced from my dealer. After 30-60 minutes on YouTube, it seems like you are more familiar with the specific RV repair than the techs. They don't seem incentivized to find long-term solutions. Everything seems to be quick fixes w/o much verification or care.
Splaktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2024, 06:25 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLdaffo View Post
hen Ohhh look at that.... the ground wire on it had been cut. That is why it did not work.
By ground I'm assuming you are referencing the green lead off the BT12 controller? From the Carefree manual here is what the green lead does when correctly wired
The BT12 module provides an ignition lockout option.
When the “IGN LOCK” (green wire) is connected to the vehicle PCM or other switched source the following parameters
are set: a) If Open = Awning Active b) If tied to GND = RTL (Retract Then Lock) – Awning retracts, extend command disabled c) If tied to +12Vdc = Standard – Extend command disabled
As for the Carefree product I don't think the blame is on Carefree. I believe the issue falls on WBGO not correctly wiring & installing.
In the three years of ownership, I have found several wiring issues both low and 120 volt that cause me deep concern for our safety. Recently while in FL we returned to the RV in camp to find the AC off. Terror filled me thinking without the AC we would need to leave for home in the morning. First thing I did we pull the cover off the roof AC unit and check for power. I was relived when there was now power. I traced the issue down to a failed electrical connection above the Frig. The connection had burned free, just short of starting a fire. Today I'm in the process or replacing the junk WBGO used on the AC wiring. Don't condemn WBGO, I'm sure all manufactures are using the same junk. I just happen to be in the electrical trade with easy material access.

Tags
awning, recall