Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Nevertheless....I was able to negotiate the price down, had a price from wholesale warranties on-line to help with the bargaining, and I did get a good value based on my experience with the dead air-conditioner and failing slide ram. As always - your mileage may vary as well as your costs. I feel I did well, and then got money back from the unused warranty even after making a significant claim.

The dealer likes to make a profit, so be prepared to deal, decline the warranty, or put the money aside just in case....but you actually need to put the money aside.

Just sayin' it's not all bad. It is insurance and a convenience that you can easily forgo based on your preferences, skill level, and budget.
Oh, I was not suggesting that the warranties are not worth buying if you can get them at a decent price, only that there was a huge profit built into them for the dealer. If you can get one at a reasonable price it might well be worth buying one, from the dealer or from some other party.

While I laughed at the price given to me by the finance people I did not laugh when the price got down to something reasonable, and once it got down that far it seemed like a decent buy. And the RV we bought before that was used and 8 years old, and we bought the Good Sam Extended Service Plan for it and they ended up replacing our roof AC.

The plans may be worth while if purchased at a good price.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgh218 View Post
But now that I am calmer I am wondering "should I have bought any of this"?
Don't stress about it. Remember that you can still buy an extended warranty if you wish. You can always call Good Sam's Extended Warranty Plan and buy one of their plans and there are lots of others, and I would be surprised if you could not still buy from the original 3rd party warranty company that the dealer was selling - perhaps at a lower price since the dealer does not get his cut.

There are a lot of different opinions about these plans - some people swear by them, others swear at them - but in the end it really depends on whether or not you get your money's worth from them and there is no way to know that in advance.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:40 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Our first 2020 View 24

I have been off the forum for a while and I came back tonight and was blown away by all of your comments about my warranty question. I thank all of you that said that it was good to not take the warranty. I also thank those that said it is not too late. I didn't realize Good Sam had a program. I am not going to stress over this any more as the first year is covered. I am going to spend some time getting ready for our first trip. That should be an interesting time. I do have another question, but I will start a new thread for that.
Once again thank you all. Bill
Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

To prevent mold in your situation, keep fridge and freezer doors open. You should have a vent in your bathroom. Open it slightly so air can recirculate.

Even though you don’t have access to 30amp service, are you able/allowed to put a solar panel on their roof? The solar panel could charge your house batteries and allow you to run your maxxair fan to circulate air.

Make sure you disconnect chassis battery or you’ll soon be posting about dead chassis battery.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Larry, I did get the refrigerator and freezer doors open but I am a little afraid of opening the ceiling vents. I don't have 30 amp in the storage unit, and there is a partial roof that blocks the solar panels from operating. I have combination temperature and humidity recorders in it all the time. I am going in to it every 3-4 days and so far the temp is in the 70 to very low 80 range and the humidity is in the 60-to low 70 range. So far so good.
We will be leaving for our first real trip next week and will be gone for about 3 weeks. Hopefully everything will go well. Thanks for your advice. Bill