Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2024, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Slide issues with my 2017 View motorhome

Slides have been fine on 2017 View but yesterday when operating side slide one side of slide did not extend fully. When retracting in stays out 2 inches.

I also tried rear slide and same issue. Tried resending motors per online instructions but did not work. Strange that both slides malfunction at same time.

Anyone have ideas? Can’t get in local RV repair for another month.
Eskotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #2
Site Team

I would contact a few local mobile RV techs and have one come to you. Many… (most?) Techs these days have a lot of slide repair experience.

If you are near your home in Minnesota you should be able to find a number of mobile techs around you.

And, if all else fails your home ls ~275 miles from both the Winnebago factory service shop and Litchsinn RV the largest and best Winnebago dealer.

In the mean time, can you locate the slide controllers to read the blinking light error codes? There are instructions online on how to manually move the slides one side at a time via the slide controllers.

Do you have Schwintec slides or PowerGear Slim Rack slides?
Old 09-16-2024, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

2017 View
I did find wire to rear slide controller that insulation was cut and two of the 6 wires inside had insulation cut also. This wire coms from side of RV and runs along bottom edge of slide. Looks like it has been pinched. Wires look like they are intact but wonder if I should cut and splice to make sure. Those wires preventing the resume? They are obviously not stopping power as the slides still operate.
Old 09-16-2024, 12:24 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I have Power Gear controller, 1510000236
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Vita 24P

If both slides are acting same one of those cut wires may be shorting and causing controller to act up on both slides.
Old Today, 06:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Are you level? I find that helps greatly a lot of the time.
Bzerull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Thinking about what to do when we find wires damaged?
What are the logical options? We ignore the damage and does it get better or does it get worse?
I would certainly not try to fix a slide problem when I know there is an obvious problem with the wiring!

Then if you have the damage repaired, and still have trouble, you can move forward with knowing the wires are good!

I have NEVER seen damaged wiring get better if we let it get wet or corrode more!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Each slideout has a controller. The controller has 12V and Ground In, 3 wires connection to the Slide In-Out switch, and two cables to the two motors They each have their own circuit breaker. The motors have rotation sensors in them on the end opposite the shaft.

Several of the wires going to the motors are for the rotation sensors and as you stated all of them must still be intact and not be open circuited or short circuited to anything or the controller would have detected the problem and the slides would not move in the standard default mode, and there would have been a fault flash code you could view on the controller LED.

If you have the same slide controllers they have a a opening with a button and LED and you can put the controller into a troubleshooting / emergency retract mode where the rotation sensors are ignored and the controller just powers the motor directly from the command from the slide switch. This is in the operating manual.

I have 2015 Vintage Swintek slide controllers in my Vista, and have all the manuals downloaded and saved as .pdf files. If you want to PM me I can email them to you.

That said, I don't know what year they changed from the Swintek on-wall tracks to the 'floating' tracks that are fastened only on the ends. My manuals are all for the on-wall track system.

I'm pretty sure that the motors and controllers stayed the same it was only the tracks and the other mechanical parts that changed.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

One thing on the slide system with motors on each side. If they get substantially out of alignment like it sounds like yours is, then it can take multiple times (3 to 5) of open close hold button down for 5 seconds to get it back to alignment. You might try that first before you put the controller into one of the non-default modes.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, motorhome, view