Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old Today, 02:53 PM   #1
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Slide out issues on 2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Hello. I own a 2018 Minnie Winnie 22M that I purchased in November 2017. Overall, my rig has been nothing short of fantastic for my wife and I, as well as others that I’ve brought along. However, I now have a critical problem that needs to be addressed and repaired. I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue.

It appears that the sole support for the slide out in my rig, the slide out that is the head of the queen bed, has failed and collapsed. The sole support appears (because I can’t see any other support structure for the slide out) to be two brackets that hold two four inch wide rollers that carry the weight of the slide out, whether moving in or out, or while extended. These rollers, which are about a foot inside of the edge of the slide out, are attached to the side wall of the rig by four black screws. I do not know if any of those screws into the veneer attach to any sort of wall stud or not.

I was about eight days into a 24 day when while under the extended slide out in the storage compartment, I happened to look up at one bracket to see that it was bent back about 1/2 inch at the top, as the two top screws are missing, one had the head broken off, and the other pulled out of the veneer siding. What this did was to allow that side of the slide to drop (about 1/4”) until it hit the frame of the slide out opening. What this resulted was that the front of the slide was now sliding on the metal frame of the opening - metal to metal, as the corner of the slide out had an aluminum angle on each side.

At this point, I purchased some white lithium grease to grease the underside of the slide on that metal angle. The whole slide out continued to work, albeit noisily, until the last two days of our trip when it appeared to struggle more, barely getting the slide out or in. There were no “flashing lights” indicating an error. Made it home.

After emptying out the entire storage compartment since I have a service appointment on October 22, I happened to look up at the other bracket with the roller on it, and it was now pulling the entire wall back, allowing the bracket to be at a similar angle to the other and sure enough, that side of the slide was now riding on the frame. No wonder the motors were struggling to get the slide out or in. And that’s how things stand right now.

I have looked on this site and on the web, and I have not read anyone posting a problem similar to this. In my opinion, this was the first year that Winnebago produced the 22M, and the slide out was underengineered, as those two rollers, attached as they were couldn’t support the weight. I have considered a solution: instead of the rollers being screwed into the interior wall, there should be a 4” wide steel plate along the entire width of the storage compartment (about 44”), attached in multiple places - at least 16 screws. Then the brackets with the rollers, screwed into the steel plate, NOT the wall. This way, the entire width of the underside of the slide would be supporting the rollers, not just the four screws into the veneer. In addition, I feel that the two brackets were insufficient. Should be three or four of them.

Photos attached show the two brackets with the rollers, and the abrasion of the metal against metal of the underside of the slide out. Similar abrasion exists on the other side.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5254.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	190072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5255.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	190073  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5044.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	190074  
mcfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:23 PM   #2
Site Team

You certainly are not alone in slide out issues from bent or dislodged rollers. And, your solution sounds pretty sound.

Slides are enough of a problem that there are plenty of shops and independent techs that have some slideout repair experience.

You said you're going to a service appointment later this month. Is it at a dealer or is it's someone you trust? I wouldn't let a dealer work on my motorhome, but maybe that's just me.

There are at least two independent shops in the San Antonio area and that's where I would go. I'd guess there must be some places around you in California, but I don't know how to go about finding them.

There is a strong RV repair community in and around Junction City, OR but that's 500 mi north of you. Surely there is someone in your area of Sacramento, CA.

I don't know personally, but this guy is a mobile tech in your area with a very good reputation:

https://www.oliverirv.com/
Old Today, 05:24 PM   #3
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

Thanks, creativepart. Indeed, I am taking my rig in for its annual servicing from the firm I bought it from, LaMesa RV at their extensive service shop in Davis, CA. I have had all of my maintenance performed there, but have never had a repair done. I have been pleased with the work they’ve done. What’s more, at the end of this month, my 7 year extended warranty expires, so it makes sense to take it there. That said, I do have an independent shop that I can take it to.

Funny you mention Junction City, OR, a known location for RVs. I drove through there this past Sunday.

Thanks again.

Lee
mcfflyer is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, slide