Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2022, 08:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slideout operation...

As the title says, I'm in need of a manual or tutorial on the slideout operation of my 1998 Minnie 31WM. It's not that it's not working. The previous owner told me it stopped going all the way out, but worked fine otherwise. I can start it out and retract it and it seems to work properly. However, it's not sitting level where I currently have it parked. It's about 3-4 degree's off level and I didn't want to fully extend it to figure out any problems until I know if the level is an issue.

The owners manual I downloaded from Winnebago makes no mention of the slide operation. Was there a separate manual for this?

If no manual is available can someone give me the do's and don't about the slide operation? I don't want to damage it by improper operation. It is a hydraulic system but I haven't crawled under to look at anything yet because of the rain we are having. I prefer not to crawl on the wet ground

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
BarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

A bit more internet sleuthing and I found another person that had a question about a '98 model and they used the 2000 year manual. I downloaded that and it has some instructions that seem appropriate, including that the coach should be leveled first. So, I guess I'll get my leveling blocks set up before I try to work on the slide further.
Old 02-10-2022, 08:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The slide is out. Leveled up the coach this afternoon and it went out without any issue*. I noticed it seemed to get a bit harder to move just as it approached the end of it's run, but it went right up to the seals.

I've been in a few Class A motorhomes but never one with a slide. What a big difference it makes in my class C. Positively roomy!

*Well, no issue with the slide anyway I did have an issue with a brake pedal going almost to the floor while moving up on my leveling blocks, and with my big feet I was then also pressing slightly on the gas pedal, which meant my front tires were locked down but the big Minnie kept plowing forward. Ran into a small tree with the upper cabover area, but no damage other than to the area that gets removed in the renovation. So, bad luck combined with good luck. Could have been worse. Not sure why I lost the brakes as they worked fine on the drive home. Maybe one of the calipers has developed a leak. I'll figure it out this weekend.
Old 02-10-2022, 09:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here are a few HWH slide out hints:

1. Always fully extend or fully retract before reversing. Partially extending for access and then retracting isn't a good idea, neither is partially retracting and then extending. If you do partially extend or retract and stop for some reason, continue the extension or retraction before reversing.

2. Hold down the extend/retract button for a couple of seconds after it's fully extended or fully retracted. You'll hear the motor load up.

These hints were given to me by Azpete, a Winnieowner who is also an HWH employee.

In most cases, slide outs operate off the engine battery. If you have the engine running while you operate the slide out, you'll save battery power.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob.

Mine does operate off the engine battery and I had it running while I moved it out as I have been running it 20-30 minutes every other day to keep it charged.

I also read somewhere that suggested that you go all the way one direction or the other before reversing. I have yet to look at how the unit operates mechanically, but since reversing would not be an issue with the hydraulic system, I assume the left / right alignment is an issue?
Old 02-11-2022, 08:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
Thanks Bob.

Mine does operate off the engine battery and I had it running while I moved it out as I have been running it 20-30 minutes every other day to keep it charged.

I also read somewhere that suggested that you go all the way one direction or the other before reversing. I have yet to look at how the unit operates mechanically, but since reversing would not be an issue with the hydraulic system, I assume the left / right alignment is an issue?
If you have two "rams", there's likely to be an "synchronizing cylinder" that balances the pressure to them to keep in sync.

Here's a link to some HWH resources that may help:

https://www.hwhcorp.com/winnebago2017_diagrams.html (the 2017 is the date of the resource, not the model date)

https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml44100bx_so.html
Old 02-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

One of the things that I see many miss is running the engine when using jacks or slides as they are heavy power users.
But if we look at things a bit closer, it is not a high tech idea!
A lead acid battery, even in the best of condition will settle out at around 12.8 volts, so if we move the slide, etc without starting the engine we power things with 12.8 volts.

If we start the RV engine and it is running at a fast idle, the alternator will bew putting out near 14 volts and continue to put out higher voltage, even after it heats up and backs off the fast idle.

So a big item like the hydraulic pump works much better, more reliably, if it is getting a steady 14 volts than if it is getting a decreasing 12.8 volts.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Bob, yes I do have the synchronizing cylinder, and that explains the reasoning for moving all the way in one direction to pressurize the cylinders at the end of their stroke while in alignment. I found the manual and diagrams after my last post last night remembering that I took a picture of the model number tag, HWH Model AP17848.

So, now I understand how it works as I am familiar with basic hydraulic systems like this. I've used them on some of the machines we design.

Richard, good point. The HWH manual seems to indicate the slide in/out is not supposed to work unless the engine is off but it works while running. The wording in the manual I found states, "The room will not operate if the parking brake is not set, and the ignition is in the "ON" or "ACC" Position." But it does work with engine running and you have the higher alternator voltage to work with.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-11-2022, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Check for leaks at your hose ferrules and that all your connections are tight. I don't know about your model year but HWH had a problem with the ferrules in the early 2000s. I had three or four leaky hoses. And, as I'm sure you know, the hoses from the synchronizing cylinder to the rams are matched and need to be identical in length and specs in order for the balancing function to work properly.

You're ahead of where I was at my start with my slideouts. I'd never worked on hydraulic systems before but the principles were pretty easy to learn.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'll do that, check for leaks. In my poking around I din't see anything disturbing. The previous owner had told me that he could not get the slide to go all the way out, that he thought something was binding/or blocking it. I had no problem as it went all the way out. I think I found his problem today. As I was poking around I saw a wad of carpet hanging down from the floor area. I imagine it is the original carpet, something that was replaced some time ago. I think that may have bound up and restricted the slide. Anyway, I pulled it loose.

Tags
slide, slideout