Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2024, 11:20 AM   #1
MM2
Winnebago Camper

Wall Studs in Bedroom Slide 2020 Spirit 22M?

We have a 2020 Spirit, and the padded headboard has fallen. It was secured on the top edge by only two short screws hidden in the upholstery folds, penetrating the outside wall of the slide by about 1/2 inch. My thought is to use several screws hidden in the folds along the top edge to hold it better. Can I just space them every 6 inches or so, or should I be trying to find studs and screw only there? Are there actually studs in that wall, and is 1/2 inch enough to hit them?

Thanks.
MM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 11:33 AM   #2
Site Team

I removed the headboard in my Adventurer Class A a number of years ago. It too was attached to the wall with short screws hidden in folds of material.

There were 5 or 6 such screws - 3 on each side and at least one at the bottom, if not two.

You said "penetrating the outside wall of the slide by about 1/2 inch." Did you mean "inside of the wall" rather than outside? The screws were not sticking out the slide wall of the RV were they?

I don't know first hand about any wall studs in the slide wall. I doubt there are, but that's purely my opinion not any kind of knowledge speaking.

I put the headboard in my Attic and bought some wood like vinyl wall planking to put on that wall in my bedroom. It looks good but I bought a weathered gray "wood" planking and it looks just like the gray wall paper it's covering. You'd not realize it's there. I should have chosen something a different color. Here's a link:

https://www.stikwood.com/collections...om-wall-planks
Old 04-23-2024, 11:51 AM   #3
MM2
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, misleading wording I guess... I meant that it goes into the wall 1/2", not that it comes out the outside.

We contemplated just removing it, but thought that the padding might serve as a bit of a sound absorber when we're retiring earlier than our neighbours.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Probably only one aluminum "stud" depending on the size of your slide. Sometimes, you can see where they are from the outside if the sun is at just the right angle. Sometimes Winnebago will put metal plates in the wall that are glued to the back of the interior wall so that you can screw into those. You can ask Winnebago product support for drawings of that slide wall.

On my 2023, the headboard was just held on with 2" wide strips of Velcro. Worked great.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Since all RV tend to be different, I would not look to compare what others have found to decide where to put holes in mine!

When looking for hidden stuff and where the old knock, knock sound test fails, I like to go with a better/newer tool like a stud finder!

What quality and how much to spend is a personal thing but I find having one handy is worth a few bucks for jobs like an RV wall. RV walls tend to be totally different than the normal stud walls in houses, so I've stopped guessing!

For the super thin walls in RV, the $20 one might do as good as any if it is not something you would use other times.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Ha...finder%7D%3Aqr
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 12:49 PM   #6
MM2
Winnebago Camper

I actually have a stud finder, but it's not here with the MH of course, and we won't be back for another couple of weeks.

We may just go with the Velcro suggestion and bypass this whole issue. In the meantime I've been in touch with the fine tech support, who are sending me wall diagrams.

Thanks to all the invaluable help from you great Winnie folk out there.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

If your unable to locate a wall stud as they’re few and far between, I’ve had good luck using these wall anchors as they’ll get a better grip on the thin wallboard than any screw threads. They’re available in different sizes. Then you can use screws with the screw cover button caps available in different colors.

Wideskall® Self Drilling Drywall Nylon Anchors Fit #8 - #10 Fastener Screws (Pack of 15) https://a.co/d/iJonrQr

RV Designer H605, Screw Covers, Brown, 14 Per Pack, Interior Hardware https://a.co/d/bUQDatl
Old 04-30-2024, 08:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Nylon pop toggle anchors also work well. https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
blifsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide