Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Where is my catalytic converter?

21V OK my back has healed up enough that I got under the view and was looking for the cat. From the front there is a bigger unit then there is a small round part with a wire mesh around it (it is not very long). And last there is the muffler.

I'm not sure which is the DPF or the cat. Either one one of them would be hard to take out without dropping all the exhaust system. The first one which is pretty big goes right up into the engine compartment. The smaller round one goes across the top of a brace that supports the trans. There is only about a 1/2" space around this on where the brace is.

I have a catstrap on order but I don't see how I would ever make it fit because of the tight space.

TIA
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Butch, the dpf is first in line of exhaust flow and is the large one that is at an angle coming off the engine, the mesh looking part is simply a flexible connector to allow for the expansion of the dpf when it heats up to burn the soot, and to keep the lengthy exhaust system from breaking at the joint. The next 2 are both SCR Cats, so you actually have 2 inline cats. See attached diagram of Sprinter exhaust system. Also attached pic is of the 2 cats on my 2010 Sprinter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sprinter exhause.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	180606   Click image for larger version

Name:	SCR cats.jpg
Views:	1459
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	180607  

Old 08-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #3
Site Team

OK, so it was a Catalytic Converter for which you were looking; not a cat. Scared me for a second. Oh the carnage!
Old 08-21-2021, 09:36 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My 2020 is complete different than yours. There is only 3 items in my exhaust pipe. I'll try to get a picture if it will stop raining. It is just constantly raining here. My View is in a carport but the rain runs off the carport and then across the floor.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
My 2020 is complete different than yours. There is only 3 items in my exhaust pipe. I'll try to get a picture if it will stop raining. It is just constantly raining here. My View is in a carport but the rain runs off the carport and then across the floor.
Same here, DPF and 2 cats. Mufflers were not needed as turbocharger, dpf, cats and long exhaust system took care of the noise. I think you will find yours is just like mine if you have the OM642 3.0 litre Bluetec engine and I am not aware of a different diesel engine available in the US for the 3500 as of yet.
Old 08-22-2021, 06:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Same here, DPF and 2 cats. Mufflers were not needed as turbocharger, dpf, cats and long exhaust system took care of the noise. I think you will find yours is just like mine if you have the OM642 3.0 litre Bluetec engine and I am not aware of a different diesel engine available in the US for the 3500 as of yet.

Per this diagram the 2020 has a muffler and the catalytic converter is at the very front of the rig.

https://www.mbpartsworld.com/v-2020-...ust-components
Old 08-22-2021, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
Per this diagram the 2020 has a muffler and the catalytic converter is at the very front of the rig.

https://www.mbpartsworld.com/v-2020-...ust-components
Well that's definitely different, and the part they are calling a converter looks just like the part on mine that they call a dpf, it even has the same mounting bracket. Perhaps they have combined the dpf with the scr module into one unit like VW did on the TDI. That would explain having to add a muffler too. When you say you have 3 parts under there is one of them the flexible connector?
Old 08-22-2021, 08:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I did find info that states the new OM654 engine has a DOC, DPF/SCR which would make 3 units total if you add in a muffler. The DPF/SCR unit is combined by coating the DPF with the SCR material to allow both functions in the same unit, and the DEF is injected before the DPF. The DOC unit is "closely coupled" which means it will be high into the engine bay area. Perhaps they are using this setup on the OM642 as well. Getting a cat clamp around that unit does not look easy.

If this is the case consider yourself lucky, my cats are sitting ducks compared to yours On the other hand, mine are cheaper and easier to install.
Old 08-22-2021, 09:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
Well that's definitely different, and the part they are calling a converter looks just like the part on mine that they call a dpf, it even has the same mounting bracket. Perhaps they have combined the dpf with the scr module into one unit like VW did on the TDI. That would explain having to add a muffler too. When you say you have 3 parts under there is one of them the flexible connector?
Yes that is what I was calling the 3rd part. It just appears to have a wire mesh around the pipe.

I guess I can cancel my order for a Catstrap as there is no way I can get it in this area.

Thanks
Old 08-22-2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I was all set to paint mine orange and engrave them with the VIN but some have already tried and it looks like the 2,000 degree paint will not hold up
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...-361980-3.html

Tags
converter, cat